Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The Wardrobe - how best to use it

After reading other threads on similar subject, I decided to go with these:

https://shop.vwcamper.de/moebelzubehoer/269/einlegeboeden-haengeschrank

varianteABC.jpg

Not cheap but the service and quality are second-to-none in my opinion. They have transformed our wardrobe into an accessible, organised storage area (especially when used in conjunction with ebags or the like). We never used the wardrobe for hanging clothes anyway*, more like a rigid stuff-sack that regurgitated everything whenever you needed a single item (inevitably under everything else).

*Edit: even with the wider shelves fitted, you can still hang a couple of items closest to the door if required.
Which variant did you use?

Which variant did you use?

I went for "variant B" - the wider shelves are perfectly sized for a large ebag (or similar); we use the narrower top shelf for 2 small ebags or vanity bags.

I should mention that, of course, the wider shelves somewhat obstruct access to the bottom of the wardrobe - the extent of the obstruction depends on position of bench seat, the height of the shelves* and your personal agility. :)

*Shelf height is infinitely variable and easily changed even after installation. However, some thought needs to be given to access to the safe if you have one fitted. I carefully set the height of the lowest wide shelf to allow the safe door to fully open without obstruction but, depending upon how you use the safe, that might not be necessary. We've never used ours so really not sure why I bothered ... :headbang

When we had our SE we only ever used the wardrobe for stuffing bedding into. I didn't find it a very user friendly space at all. Personally, this and the rear cupboards in the boot are areas that could do with a serious design re-think.

I went for "variant B" - the wider shelves are perfectly sized for a large ebag (or similar); we use the narrower top shelf for 2 small ebags or vanity bags.

I should mention that, of course, the wider shelves somewhat obstruct access to the bottom of the wardrobe - the extent of the obstruction depends on position of bench seat, the height of the shelves* and your personal agility. :)

*Shelf height is infinitely variable and easily changed even after installation. However, some thought needs to be given to access to the safe if you have one fitted. I carefully set the height of the lowest wide shelf to allow the safe door to fully open without obstruction but, depending upon how you use the safe, that might not be necessary. We've never used ours so really not sure why I bothered ... :headbang
Thanks!

Definitely another vote here for using it as a place to stuff the bedding, double quilt, pillows, bottle of wine (well the bedding stops it from rolling around) - plus a cou[le of 'extras' like a woolly hat, scarf etc so I never have to debate whether I need to take them.

At night when the bedding is on the bed it's a useful space to stuff coats etc, and a safe place to stow my glasses and kindle when I stop reading.

Speaking of reading and redesigning - why oh why is there only a light at the back on Mike's side? He doesn't even use it! :sad

I think we're in the minority as we use it as hanging space. Trousers, t shirts, coats all get hung up with a few things on the base under the clothes.

I think we're in the minority as we use it as hanging space. Trousers, t shirts, coats all get hung up with a few things on the base under the clothes.
I'm with you. Wardrobe for hanging, and eBags in the rear cupboard. Microfibre towels in roof cupboard and bedding in Duvet zip bag on rear shelf.

We hang clothes in the wardrobe. We have plastic hangers over which we can hang trousers/jeans across the bar and then hang a shirt/jumper around it over the top. We use plastic so that they don't make a lot of noise clanging around when on the move. We also hang up waterproof coats and cycling coats. I don't find it very easy to get the hangers on and off the bar. The bar seems to be a bit high and close to the roof.

We keep our window mozzie screens in there too.

I tend to find that whatever we keep in the front wardrobe is always a bit difficult to get at when needed.

We seem to change our packing arrangements on every trip. At first we used it for the packing cubes and hanging clothes, but as others have said it's dark in there and a bit of a faff...I often had to pull everything out, and the clothes were always creased! On our last trip we put a plastic box with all the electrical bits n bobs (heater,fan kettle,lights,extension lead) in there, ready for setting up camp. Easy to remove and find what you want. On top of that we placed a big French supermarket bag with all our jackets. It worked well, but may change it to bedding cupboard on next trip

daz60 like the red glass tops, is that the glass or a cover?

Definitely another vote here for using it as a place to stuff the bedding, double quilt, pillows, bottle of wine (well the bedding stops it from rolling around) - plus a cou[le of 'extras' like a woolly hat, scarf etc so I never have to debate whether I need to take them.

At night when the bedding is on the bed it's a useful space to stuff coats etc, and a safe place to stow my glasses and kindle when I stop reading.

Speaking of reading and redesigning - why oh why is there only a light at the back on Mike's side? He doesn't even use it! :sad
We copied your suggestion of duvet, pillows etc for on the move and then clothes storage and Velcro wall hanging when camping. Seems to tick the box for ease when doing a quick one night with an early morning getaway. From alarm, wash,dress,hot breakfast, clean down and tidy up to driving away was 1 hour 5 mins!

daz60 like the red glass tops, is that the glass or a cover?
Hi pmrw, they are covers. The Cali club used to have them made, but costs were to high. Fantastic quality 20150720_144507.jpg 20150729_100808.jpg

Not sure which thread this should come under but complete accident I found out that the back wall of the wardrobe in the Cali slides out to become the blind for that "little" window! Video to follow.... file too big.. will take photos when phone charged unless you have seen it all before and I'm just a bit slow!!!!

Not sure which thread this should come under but complete accident I found out that the back wall of the wardrobe in the Cali slides out to become the blind for that "little" window! Video to follow.... file too big.. will take photos when phone charged unless you have seen it all before and I'm just a bit slow!!!!

Was that not demonstrated to you when you picked up the vehicle from the dealers?

Also that slide has a habit of rattling when on the move in the closed position so make sure you slide it back into the wardrobe if you don't want to be driven mad by a vague rattle from the back when travelling :D

Was that not demonstrated to you when you picked up the vehicle from the dealers?
Nope! They were newbies to the scene and it has been a bit of an adventure!!!!

Interesting thread.

I went from using the wardrobe as a wardrobe to:

Filling it with e-bags filled with various items:

Hanging shelves from the rail:

Piling all the bedding into it:

to finally, current use....

using the wardrobe as a wardrobe:D

We first used it to carry a 25litre fermentation vessel of cider when we moved house. Fits perfectly with room on top for softer stuff. Since then we have just piled in the bedding. Fits underblankets sheets 4 pillows two down sleeping bags and blankets. Why clog it up with shelving which only takes up space.

We've decided the wardrobe is definitely the best place for the duvet and pillows and all our clothes fold flat and are stored in the sliding draw under the rear seat. Underwear, socks and wash bags in the rear locker. Duvalet mattress topper folds and stays on the rear shelf, works a treat for us!

A wide variation in how we use the space in just 3 hours, thank you all.
I have got to make better use of it than I do now as so much of it is not properly used and apart from that I often can't find what I know is in there somewhere.
With the new sink top being split in 3 the issue of where do you put things when making a cup of tea and you need to get the milk out, has been resolved. Perhaps VW will see this as their next challenge.
A permanent long shelf above the kitchen unit solves the where to put stuff while using kitchen problem .