Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Things you didn't know your van did

Well, at first we need electric foldable mirrors. I have them, but they only fold in turning the adjustment knob.
On the other hand, if they fold down every time you close your doors, there is more wear on the motors, and they might break sooner. And if it should rain and freeze, the joints could freeze up, making the motors overheat by trying to open or close the mirrors, just like the windscreen wiper motor.

I can live with it. I just have to remember turning the knob while parked in line near a busy road or where I feel it's needed.
They certainly come in handy if you have to pass through a very small passage. I don't have to get out my van to fold them in.
Have I got this wrong? Width of T5 with mirrors open=2.175m: with mirrors folded=2.110m, so 65mm difference between closed and open, not much of a space saving.

Have I got this wrong? Width of T5 with mirrors open=2.175m: with mirrors folded=2.110m, so 65mm difference between closed and open, not much of a space saving.
No not much but enough to be able to squeeze more comfortably into my garage.
Also lots of narrow lanes and villages in Cornwall so every little helps.

No not much but enough to be able to squeeze more comfortably into my garage.
Also lots of narrow lanes and villages in Cornwall so every little helps.
Once you have squeezed your Cali into your garage, how do you personally squeeze out?

Once you have squeezed your Cali into your garage, how do you personally squeeze out?
Through the front opening in the new canvas?

They don't really fold away, they just turn up. A bit strange, but I think it is because of the new design. And we all know design = form before function :rolleyes:

Has anyone, as well as me, noticed that when its raining and your wing mirrors are out they collect water and when folded up they do not. So in this wonderful country of ours the inside of your mirrors are constantly wet if you don't fold them up. So, if you can fold them, I suggest you do.

Has anyone, as well as me, noticed that when its raining and your wing mirrors are out they collect water and when folded up they do not. So in this wonderful country of ours the inside of your mirrors are constantly wet if you don't fold them up. So, if you can fold them, I suggest you do.
I've noticed this and often thought about drilling a very small drain hole as it only plastic but thought I might get an eventual streak mark on my door.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I've noticed this and often thought about drilling a very small drain hole as it only plastic but thought I might get an eventual streak mark on my door.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I just try and remember to fold when I park up.

View attachment 16752 Last one... do you use the strap for the table to create extra worktop space when making food? It goes around the rear seat headrest. Here is ours being used to make poached eggs and toast with our Tefal "egg n toast".
Works on back of drivers seat too for solo traveller (with dog) who doesn’t often turn driver seat round. Also stops dog lead tangling round table leg!

I noticed that there was a small removable cover in the top right of the sliding door trim that allows access to the bolts holding on the middle door runner.

This was after I had removed half of the trim in an attempt to get to the middle runner bolts... doh!

just a visual glance at the vehicle and i know it is locked if mirrors are up

Works on back of drivers seat too for solo traveller (with dog) who doesn’t often turn driver seat round. Also stops dog lead tangling round table leg!
What strap is that?

For seven years the ‘stop/start’ has done its own thing, presumably depending on battery state, engine temperature and goodness knows what else. Sometimes it works and sometimes for weeks on end it doesn’t with no obvious reason. Now I have discovered that if the heater temperature control is turned to ‘low’ it works all the time. I can see absolutely no reason for this; can anyone else shed any light?

For seven years the ‘stop/start’ has done its own thing, presumably depending on battery state, engine temperature and goodness knows what else. Sometimes it works and sometimes for weeks on end it doesn’t with no obvious reason. Now I have discovered that if the heater temperature control is turned to ‘low’ it works all the time. I can see absolutely no reason for this; can anyone else shed any light?
Stop/Start is disabled when heater is set high (or in most cars just set like this regardless of heater position) until the enginge is warm enough to power the heating system. As you say, there are other rules applied, but engine getting to working temperature is the main one.

If you don't wany stop/start, just routinely disable it using the dashboard switch immediately after starting. It soon becomes a habit.

I used stop/start as part of my ghost immobilisation.
Goodbye SS annoyance…

I like stop/start. I also like being warm. I just wish that I could have both in the winter.
You could always fire up the Diesel Parking Heater.

You can run it whilst/driving.

Things I have found (out)
Last service / MOT the dealer said the headlamp washers only worked once and then stopped working - gave me an advisory. We know that the high pressure LED/Xenon washers only work when the headlamps are on. After a bit of research, it seems they will only work 1 in 10 washer flicks within any given drive. I guess that is so you don't empty the washer container during a long drive and dirty roads.

Using Carista OBD programmer there a couple of little, light weight programming tweeks that can be done:
  • Dash dials clock sweep
    • When turning on the ignition, the speedo and techo so a smart sweep round the clocks and back again
  • Tear drop wipe
    • After a windscreen wash and the wipers have done their bit, they wait 5 seconds and do another single wipe to clear the last dribbles.
  • Drive away locking.
    • Not enabled by default. Can be enabled. Similarly, just locking the rear tailgate, leaving passenger/driver doors unlocked if preferred.
There's a few others as well. These are the ones I turned on.

Well, at first we need electric foldable mirrors. I have them, but they only fold in turning the adjustment knob.
On the other hand, if they fold down every time you close your doors, there is more wear on the motors, and they might break sooner. And if it should rain and freeze, the joints could freeze up, making the motors overheat by trying to open or close the mirrors, just like the windscreen wiper motor.

I can live with it. I just have to remember turning the knob while parked in line near a busy road or where I feel it's needed.
They certainly come in handy if you have to pass through a very small passage. I don't have to get out my van to fold them in.
If your van is like mine then you can also fold the mirrors in by holding the lock button down.
I've gone the next step and used Carista (Amazon £35) to change the van settings to fold them automatically when locked (no need for the long press).

Also with the Carista - disable the annoying noise when the ignition is on and you have a door open (e.g at a site when you need to raise the roof with a door open for airflow).

CaliforniaTime Youtube Video on this :

On Topic: I didn't know my Ocean came with automatic reverse parking for 6 months until I noticed a previously unpressed button, and googled to find out what it did. Not like me as I spent a year watching every bit of content I could find before my van arrived but was oblivious that this feature was standard on an Ocean and not an option.

Given I park on a busy street I used it all the time now (I can park fine, but it's amazing at getting in the tightest of spaces first time - no second attempts needed:))

Back