Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Things you didn't know your van did

So things I didn’t know my 6.1 cali did
Silent sliding door power latching
Pot towel hook on the side of the cupboards
Power socket moved to the drivers seat base
Sos function
Side assist
Orange lights in the wing mirrors that come on when cars are approaching to the side.
Parks itself
Eco mode when driving
Different key fobs
Internal Beeper when lowering the roof (annoying)
Rear int lights come on when unlocking
Camping mode
Heating system has instant or constant settings
Battery boost mode to charge the batterys
Rear comfort mattress isn’t fixed like before it’s a removable topper.
Cupboard doors in rear open wider brilliant
Van has wifi apparently and you can send emails to your house email???
Still learning
The canvas is blackout compared to the t6 one
The new control panel is definitely an improvement
All these things are great additions
Then you have all the known about t6.1 upgrades

Last edited:
Rear comfort mattress isn’t fixed like before it’s removable.
The beach comfort mattress has always been removable, I didn't know that the SE/Ocean wasn't. What did people do when they needed more trunk space?

The beach comfort mattress has always been removable, I didn't know that the SE/Ocean wasn't. What did people do when they needed more trunk space?
can’t honestly say it was a problem with my last ocean?
I like this way more though

The comfort mattress is removable, as well as the bed extension on the T6 Ocean.

So I looked in engine bay today found in front of the radiator but behind the front grill to the left of the fan as you look at it there is a row of plastic flaps that are shut when not moving cutting part of the radiator off and when the van moves forward the air pressure opens the flaps to expose all the radiator for better cooling? any other thoughts.

So I looked in engine bay today found in front of the radiator but behind the front grill to the left of the fan as you look at it there is a row of plastic flaps that are shut when not moving cutting part of the radiator off and when the van moves forward the air pressure opens the flaps to expose all the radiator for better cooling? any other thoughts.
That’s exactly what they are for.
The fan sits in a tunnel type housing, so for example when you are sat in traffic with no air flow the fan comes on and these flaps are pulled shut so to direct all the mechanically drawn in air over the fan and through this funnel.
The flaps will open when driving naturally to let air through the housing, and not restrict it through the tunnel/funnel element and past the fan, maximising cooling. If that makes sense?

Why didn’t the dealer tell me this, or the windows closing on locking, only had beach for 1 month
Probably because he didn’t know. Most of the vans they sell either don’t have these features or it’s an expensive paid for option.

Probably because he didn’t know. Most of the vans they sell either don’t have these features or it’s an expensive paid for option.
Or because this feature is already standard at VW as from 1997! if you have central locking? Not worth mentioning anymore.

Or because this feature is already standard at VW as from 1997! if you have central locking? Not worth mentioning anymore.
Mine doesn't do that, I've tried a few times.
Maybe it needs coding in.

Maybe on the Continent but not in the U.K. I’m afraid.

Yep does not work on my T5.1 2015 SE Windows will go up and down with key fob, but no folding mirrors. You got me all excited for nothing :(

Why didn’t the dealer tell me this, or the windows closing on locking, only had beach for 1 month
Maybe they didn't know.... :embarrased :embarrased

Maybe they didn't know.... :embarrased :embarrased
Did you know that if when your Cali is locked and you hold down the open button on your key the windows open. Great when the days are really hot.

Did you know that if when your Cali is locked and you hold down the open button on your key the windows open. Great when the days are really hot.
Not so great, if you only find out about this by accident, when you look outside at your Cali sitting in the drive in the pouring rain and wonder why the windows are open :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Not so great, if you only find out about this by accident, when you look outside at your Cali sitting in the drive in the poring rain and wonder why the windows are open :rolleyes:
Ooooo. Agree, not so great! Painful way to discover this feature. Hope no damage done.

Yep does not work on my T5.1 2015 SE Windows will go up and down with key fob, but no folding mirrors. You got me all excited for nothing :(
I am sorry to rain on your parade. The windows open and close since that date. The mirrors don't fold until the T6 unfortunately. I thought you were talking about the windows. Forgot about the mirrors.
My bad. :Iamsorry

Well, at first we need electric foldable mirrors. I have them, but they only fold in turning the adjustment knob.
On the other hand, if they fold down every time you close your doors, there is more wear on the motors, and they might break sooner. And if it should rain and freeze, the joints could freeze up, making the motors overheat by trying to open or close the mirrors, just like the windscreen wiper motor.

I can live with it. I just have to remember turning the knob while parked in line near a busy road or where I feel it's needed.
They certainly come in handy if you have to pass through a very small passage. I don't have to get out my van to fold them in.

Back