Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Things you didn't know your van did

Been out today with passengers in the back for the first time Apparently when you speak in the front it comes out of the rear speakers they thought they were on a proper guided tour round the Peak District
Hope you weren’t talking about them! ;)

I'm sure that's an extra cost option.
May well be it’s a pre reg Van got all sorts anyone know if you can switch it off they were also expecting me to start calling bingo numbers or !!!

May well be it’s a pre reg Van got all sorts anyone know if you can switch it off they were also expecting me to start calling bingo numbers or !!!
Yes just found out how to turn it off... there is a “volume” bar that appears top right of the touch screen as your hand moves towards it.

Yes just found out how to turn it off... there is a “volume” bar that appears top right of the touch screen as your hand moves towards it.

We’re supposed to have this feature but I’m not convinced it’s there. Any specific evidence within the menus?

Been out today with passengers in the back for the first time Apparently when you speak in the front it comes out of the rear speakers they thought they were on a proper guided tour round the Peak District
Now that's a useful feature. Does anyone know if it can be added or switched on by the dealer or is it purely a factory option? We have the big screen sat nav media thing in our van (see photo) but as far as I can see, it doesn't seem to have this feature.
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Now that's a useful feature. Does anyone know if it can be added or switched on by the dealer or is it purely a factory option? We have the big screen sat nav media thing in our van (see photo) but as far as I can see, it doesn't seem to have this feature.
View attachment 30130

With the radio on turn up volume... The line appears at top of screen (Red). At the right hand side of line QUICKLY touch the logo thing then a menu will appear which contains the voice in rear settings.... Something like that.. It sounds echoey.... Part of Discovery sat nav package..

The mic for rear speakers is in the roof lining above drivers head just in front of folded up sun visor. It’s about the size of a 50p peice with three slots in it. If you have one blow into it close up and you can hear it rumble in the back.
As per other comments, the volume relating to it comes up when you put your hand towards the screen. Adjust to suit or turn it off!!

If you have three zone climatronic aircon, the button is located on the right hand of the main control panel, marked Rest.

How is it I have driven her for six months and not asked myself what that button was for?? Amazing...

Neighbours must think im mad running out in the dark/rain...

Thanks

We’re supposed to have this feature but I’m not convinced it’s there. Any specific evidence within the menus?
It should be in there in the sound settings.
It's called "Voice Enhancement" :thumb

With the radio on turn up volume... The line appears at top of screen (Red). At the right hand side of line QUICKLY touch the logo thing then a menu will appear which contains the voice in rear settings.... Something like that.. It sounds echoey.... Part of Discovery sat nav package..
Thanks Mike,
I've just been out to have a fiddle and our Discovery sat nav doesn't appear to have that function. No symbol appears to the right of the red line when you adjust the volume. I'll have to have a word with the dealer to see if it can be added.
My wife often sits in the back with the grand children and keeps telling me to speak up so this function would help us a lot, that is if it can be activated or retro fitted. We do have the speaker thing up by the sun visor so who knows it may be possible.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info on this. We paid for this feature and have the microphone next to the sun visor but no option in the menus. We don’t have Discovery Media Sat Nav which is possibly the issue but still a bit peeved they let us pay for it when it doesn’t work!

Thanks Mike,
I've just been out to have a fiddle and our Discovery sat nav doesn't appear to have that function. No symbol appears to the right of the red line when you adjust the volume. I'll have to have a word with the dealer to see if it can be added.
My wife often sits in the back with the grand children and keeps telling me to speak up so this function would help us a lot, that is if it can be activated or retro fitted. We do have the speaker thing up by the sun visor so who knows it may be possible.
We have the speaker thing up by the sun visor too but can find no way to switch on or off this voice enhancement feature......will be keeping an "ear" on this to see if can be switched on.

We have the speaker thing up by the sun visor too but can find no way to switch on or off this voice enhancement feature......will be keeping an "ear" on this to see if can be switched on.
It can't be that difficult. If, like us, you have the Discovery sat nav, the microphone near the sun visor and the rear speakers then you probably have all the hardware. It must either be a software thing or I've missed something.

I have a T5 with rear speakers and the microphone in the front headliner so would I have said broadcasting P.A. feature?
Doubt anyone in the cheap seats would be interested in my running commentary on modern driving and drivers but would like to know if it works?

Note to self, read manual......

I too have the 'speaker' up by the sun visor but I'm sure that's just the Mic for the Phone connection.

Very strange as my wife was sitting in the back last week and said every now and then she could hear the conversation I was have in the front from the speakers in the rear, I told not to be silly!!! Better go and check.

Back