Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Thinking of getting a Roof box

Wow!!! They look like just the things. My German’s terrible but would they fit standard t6.1 roof??
I doubt that the roof profile has changed, ask
them if it fits before ordering.

Hp123 - message me back. I may be able to assist.

regards

John

I tried to msg you but it bounced back.

I can offer several options. I have been developing a new super duper roofrack for the Cali etc.

In the course of my endeavours I have a 1500mm set of Thule Wingbars which are new ( I only used them to check out the dimensions etc). But now I have finished my designs, these are surplus to requirements. I can easily provide a set of feet to go with these which will mount them very low.

These bars are 27mm deep (or 29mm deep with the rubber strip inserted). They are slightly curved which closely matches the Cali roof. So with a low profile foot the extra height would be approx 32 - 35mm - it just depends how much gap you want in the middle.

You are not the first to look for low profile designs so I could make a batch of these feet to suit bars of this type, if other members are interested also.

Or there is my new design which will be 45mm extra height.

Regards

John

I tried to msg you but it bounced back.

I can offer several options. I have been developing a new super duper roofrack for the Cali etc.

In the course of my endeavours I have a 1500mm set of Thule Wingbars which are new ( I only used them to check out the dimensions etc). But now I have finished my designs, these are surplus to requirements. I can easily provide a set of feet to go with these which will mount them very low.

These bars are 27mm deep (or 29mm deep with the rubber strip inserted). They are slightly curved which closely matches the Cali roof. So with a low profile foot the extra height would be approx 32 - 35mm - it just depends how much gap you want in the middle.

You are not the first to look for low profile designs so I could make a batch of these feet to suit bars of this type, if other members are interested also.

Or there is my new design which will be 45mm extra height.

Regards

John
Hey John - that’s weird - let me check all my settings.

I’m Howie_pres at the hot mail com

Sounds great thanks - let’s chat!

Hi, I’m have changed from a Thule Motion 800/XL box to a Surfbox Big Malibu https://surfbox.de/en/roof-boxes-sh...fers/big-malibu-roof-box-with-surfboard-rack/ as it is long enough to take windsurfing masts up to 490cm and my largest 8.6m sail, and also wide enough to take my wing foiling board inside and high enough to take the rolled wings inside the box on top of the board.
Weight of the box is 27kg so I need to be careful with total weight, but the roof on my 2016 Ocean was fine with the box mounted as far back as I can and all on one side so I just about have space for my paddle board on the other side on 150cm bars
Hi,
I know it's an old post but would really appreciate if you could give me some more info about Big Malibu. How satisfied are you with the box?
I am thinking of buying it but not sure if all my gear will fit inside (I would like to fit board inside as well).

My equipment:
  • 1 x Board RRD Firemove 122L; 238x79 cm
  • 1 x boom
  • 1 x 4.7 sail + 400 mast
  • 1 x 6.0 sail + 430 mast
  • 1 x 7.2 sail + 460 mast
  • 1 x 8.4 sail + 490 mast
Car: Passat CC with Thule wingbar Evo roof bar.

My biggest concern is 490 mast which is exactly 263cm in length which is really close to 265cm dimensions of the box.
Thank you and best regards!
Zvonimir

Hi @Zvonimir Mestrovic,
In terms of volume my box model can about take all that (and with the additional optional bars on top it can take a further two boards)
I have fitted a Fanatic Blast 145 (236x77) inside the box but it was in its own. I frequently have a row of masts on the bottom, a row of sails up to 8.6m in the middle and a 130 litre wingfoil board all in the box. Sometimes I also have space for one or two booms too.
Regarding 490 masts I found that a Loft Sails 490 in a padded bag just fits cleanly inside whereas a North Platinum 490 mast in a bag is a tighter fit and prefers to go slightly diagonally - I guess due to the slightly different lengths of the 2 sections of each mast.
Hope this helps.
You’re welcome to PM me for more details
Mike

1FCB63AF-68A2-4F8B-8868-A95F5ECA44F1.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi @Zvonimir Mestrovic,
In terms of volume my box model can about take all that (and with the additional optional bars on top it can take a further two boards)
I have fitted a Fanatic Blast 145 (236x77) inside the box but it was in its own. I frequently have a row of masts on the bottom, a row of sails up to 8.6m in the middle and a 130 litre wingfoil board all in the box. Sometimes I also have space for one or two booms too.
Regarding 490 masts I found that a Loft Sails 490 in a padded bag just fits cleanly inside whereas a North Platinum 490 mast in a bag is a tighter fit and prefers to go slightly diagonally - I guess due to the slightly different lengths of the 2 sections of each mast.
Hope this helps.
You’re welcome to PM me for more details
Mike

View attachment 97871
Thanks a lot Mike! Really appreciate your detail feedback.
If you find time it would really be helpful if you could measure your 490 masts.
I am still worried that 263 cm might be to long :(
I've tried to fit my mast in my friend's similar surfbox from same company Surfbox S-800 MX (older model but really similar to Malibu) which also states 265cm length and there was no way to fit it (not diagonally or anything...).

I tried contacting the company but their response was not so convincing:
"If you pack all your equipment first in the box and then on top - in the middle - your 490 mast, it will fit. Only in the middle the lenght is 264 cm for a mast!"

P.S. I am not finding a way to PM you. Sorry for hijacking this thread :)

Back