Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

This week I've bought '________' for my Cali

Doh! They want £12 delivery here in the UK, making total cost over £36! I’m sure there must be somewhere cheaper ... :(
I can’t remember what I paid for postage. It was sent to a BFPO address though. I remember it being quite a lot.

• Packing cubes
  • Thule 992 Raceway 3 bike carrier
  • Outwell Collaps Kettle & Colander
Plenty of the week left yet!
How is the 992 bike rack, it would be good to see some pics of it ona Cali?

We have a 991 bike rack (the 2 bike version), find it great that you can easily take it off when not in use. Sadly no pictures of it, but Skinnee D did post some of the 991 a while since, link below.

A couple of points to consider
  • One of our bikes has a very sloping top tube so it used to sit obscuring the rear lights and number plates (similar one of Skinnee Ds pictures), so we put that bike on first, fasten the strap near the seat and lift the front tube up until it touches the underside of the other arm of the rack with a couple of strong tarpaulin bungees. It doesn't obscure the lights that way, and it cant fall off because the other bike is installed normally between it and the road. We had no problems with this modification on a trip to Austria last summer.
  • Second getting the straps really tight, but my solution is get it as tight as you can with the handwheel, then pull the middle of the strap really hard and twist the handwheel as you release it, usually get at least one more notch of tightness.

Here are some pics of the Thule Raceway rack fitted. Will also take a second MTB no probs. The 3-bike version is, I believe, identical apart from longer arms. The arms can be angled individually so you can adjust the angle / height of the bikes. Did a 30 mile trip as shown with no problems, loosening, paint marking etc. Very quick and easy to refit and remove the rack once you've worked out the setup you want. We never carry more than two bikes so the VW racks are a bit OTT for us really. The arms can be folded flat against the tailgate when not carrying bikes. Set up as shown the rear visibility is still pretty good and the reversing camera, high brake light and number plate are only slightly obscured.View attachment 16393 View attachment 16394 View attachment 16395
So far very happy with it. Hope this is some help. Any questions please ask :thumb
A couple more just to show how it folds down: -
View attachment 16419

View attachment 16420

We have a 991 bike rack (the 2 bike version), find it great that you can easily take it off when not in use. Sadly no pictures of it, but Skinnee D did post some of the 991 a while since, link below.

A couple of points to consider
  • One of our bikes has a very sloping top tube so it used to sit obscuring the rear lights and number plates (similar one of Skinnee Ds pictures), so we put that bike on first, fasten the strap near the seat and lift the front tube up until it touches the underside of the other arm of the rack with a couple of strong tarpaulin bungees. It doesn't obscure the lights that way, and it cant fall off because the other bike is installed normally between it and the road. We had no problems with this modification on a trip to Austria last summer.
  • Second getting the straps really tight, but my solution is get it as tight as you can with the handwheel, then pull the middle of the strap really hard and twist the handwheel as you release it, usually get at least one more notch of tightness.
Thank you for all of that great Information it’s very helpful. Like what was stated, I too have 2 bikes at most so the full-on VW racks are OTT for me also. This Thule type looks the part. Think I can pick up a 2nd hand, perfect 992 for £175.

Ladder for top bed, PIR unit to plug in the led light line (so not hunting around for light switch in awning when wanting the loo) and some storage boxes from Ikea.

Weber Go Anywhere BBQ and Outwell Collapsible Colander. My first Cali purchases! :)

Mini USB fan with stand from Asda. Works a treat for £4.99 and will help upstairs powered off the 12V socket. Previously seen on the forum for £2.99 in Home Bargains but no such luck at the moment.

Interested to see which ladder you have gone for? Is it the one from the club shop?
It is from California Shop - got to wait till mid April for delivery. Storage bag attaches to rear of bench seat.

It is from California Shop - got to wait till mid April for delivery. Storage bag attaches to rear of bench seat.
Ah yes that was why I was asking, I was wondering whether to get one. We tried one of those telescoping ladders but it was just as easy to get in without it because it was quite wide and we had to turn it sideways.

How is the 992 bike rack, it would be good to see some pics of it ona Cali?

Works really well for our needs as we use the van a lot in city car parks where we need to keep under 2m high. I also prefer to drive without a rack when it's not needed, so it spends 90% of the time off the van (and quite a bit of time on my wife's car).

Will take some pics once we're back from the alps.

Thank you for all of that great Information it’s very helpful. Like what was stated, I too have 2 bikes at most so the full-on VW racks are OTT for me also. This Thule type looks the part. Think I can pick up a 2nd hand, perfect 992 for £175.
Received the Thule 992 bike rack (3 bike version) today. It is very robust & very easy to fit. I’m very pleased with it & although haven’t put any bikes on it as yet, there’s no doubt that the 992 is definitely fit for purpose.
Couple of photos of it (slightly crooked & a little low I know, I know)

5D58C7C9-47B4-4456-82B7-624C43DDD016.jpeg

04EE11A6-F459-4B6F-8F7A-A34B7EB62B9C.jpeg

d916d93623ec86219d321dbe693c84a5.jpg

for me and Chief

Cotswold Outdoor are selling empty 907 gas bottles for ONLY £15, so I popped into Newcastle this afternoon, and with the money I saved I bought one of those wonderful Range linen basket things to cover my non-existent PortaPotti and while I was at Go Outdoors getting a refill for the 907, I also bought a great rechargeable lantern which is magnetic too and also has red LED (handy for astronomy/astrophotography). Now at home in the garden about to order a 335 Qube online.

Cotswold Outdoor are selling empty 907 gas bottles for ONLY £15, so I popped into Newcastle this afternoon, and with the money I saved I bought one of those wonderful Range linen basket things to cover my non-existent PortaPotti and while I was at Go Outdoors getting a refill for the 907, I also bought a great rechargeable lantern which is magnetic too and also has red LED (handy for astronomy/astrophotography). Now at home in the garden about to order a 335 Qube online.
I bought one when they were mentioned the other day from the Factory Outlet in Oswestry. It's a real boon - doubles up as a stool which is handy if you're stopping somewhere for a cook up and cba to turn the front seat round (as we did on the beach the other day!). It definitely disguises the loo. I'm not normally squeamish about such things, but EVERYONE who met our van looked in and commented on the loo, which we cart around with us everywhere in case we get the urge and there aren't any public loos around (like on the flipping M6 or suchlike, usually!).

You'll have no space left soon ;). Have you ever been up to the Kielder observatory?

When are you due?

Hi Teejay1,

We are due mid-June from Preston all being well, so really enjoying the browsing and buying at the moment. Fingers crossed that it's on time.

Strangely I was just thinking about Kielder this morning and wondering whether Gary and the team would allow you to sleep the night off in their car park. I'll get in touch with them to ask, as I was thinking about doing some volunteering up there anyway.

We've been once before but it was cloudy. The joy of astronomy.

Simon.

When are you due?[/QUOTE]

I bought a 9" TV on Saturday. Just for the rainy evening and hopefully not to miss an episode of Eastenders :)

Back