Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Thule aero roof bar set

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Just fitted my roof bars - I went for the Thule ones because I have their bike carriers (x2) and wanted them to fit just in case. Low flying aircraft would have to watch out though if we did stick bikes on the roof!

I have them on our 3 series BMW Touring and they are VERY easy to fit and super solid.

The good:

1) Solid again
2) Fairly easy to assemble once you've worked out the random instructions (which cover two other versions of the bars)
3) Seem quite well made

The bad:

1) MUCH more fiddly than my BMW ones. You need a spanner and an allen key for initial set up. The BMW ones have a slot in allen key which means no tools needed on the move. You'll need the spanner at all times when set up
2) Tricky to fit onto a T5 roof - I ended up using my rather useful socket/wrench set (Halfords Professional) for the nut and allen key which makes the job much easier. Balancing on a tyre/door sill while fiddling with a low rent spanner is a bit awkward. The tools provided really are a bit useless.
3) You need to fit and take off the covers (with a key) every time you fit/remove them. So you need to carry keys on you. The covers also come off so there's more lying around when you have them off.

So all in all, they do the job intended but they seem to have fired the designer who made them super simple to fit.

Not sure how they compare to the VW ones but they look fairly smart on the roof. Also opens up the options of a roof box if our kit requirements go a bit silly. Which they often do.

How about a picture? Let us see your handy work

It's getting dark so sorry about the snaps but...

P1010744.jpg

P1010742.jpg

P1010741.jpg

I think I'll try again in the morning... :oops: :oops: :oops: