Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Timeshare of Woodland for Camping

The example I gave was for the pictures and location rather than the price. I’m grateful for the feedback and as I’ve been looking for a while there certainly is a large variety of prices being asked. £9-£28k per Acre currently for a small plot. I'd be very interested in someone pointing me to cheaper.
I was just asking if there was any interested parties out there who would enjoy the researching and purchasing a little plot of nature. The location (quiet, far from roads etc) is far more important than size. I did find a very nice 3.25 acre wood a few months ago going for £29k but unfortunately was under offer by the time I got to view it. So £15K each with 2 or £10k each with 3 is the kind of thing I'm thinking. Feel free to PM me.

I looked at this about 4 years ago....in the end I spent just under £40k .....got a whole beautifully restored French cottage with two wood burners, all brand new kitchen, bathrooms, furniture and white goods and a lovely wood with access a short distance from the house! Loads available for even less if you want to do a little work. I just have to hop on a ferry!

I love to wild camp but in the crowded SE it's not easy to find a secure, reliable, quiet place to just pop to for a mid week or weekend stopover and where the dog can also run free. Been thinking for a while about buying a small woodland somewhere within an hour or two's drive from Brighton. It must be away from any roads, be very quiet, have or can make a clearing (for vans solar) and preferably have nice nearby trails to walk/cycle along (to a pub or beach?).

There are plenty for sale and a couple of friends have also bought. One has theirs near Lewis and have built a little wood store, a hidden composting toilet, have enough space to pitch an additional tent, have a fire pit and a couple swings from the trees, it's a beautiful place to stay, their children love it and I want one! Here is an example: http://www.woodlands.co.uk/buying-a-wood/south-east-england/short-wood/

I have seen nice woods for £30k-£45k and could buy on my own but feel this would make a perfect time share with maybe one or two others as most of the time it will be unused. Anyone fancy going Dutch on a wood?

Would it still feel like wild camping if it was your land and you went there fairly often? I'd prefer to go to random places when I'm on my way somewhere else.

It's a lovely idea but despite the inevitable local authority restrictions and conditions, the woodland will require managing to some extent or other. Also if you intend to buy it for your own exclusive use then you will also have to keep it properly secure otherwise you won't run short of builders rubble, old fridges, soggy sprung mattresses, motor tyres and asbestos etc, all of which would be down to you to have removed at considerable expense.

Isn't the fun of wild camping being able to pull up somewhere remote and quiet and then drive away in the morning having had a good nights sleep for nowt?

Shouldn't the buying woodland to park your Cali on, be in the accessories section? :thumb

Last edited:
It's a lovely idea but despite the inevitable local authority restrictions and conditions, the woodland will require managing to some extent or other. Also if you intend to buy it for your own exclusive use then you will also have to keep it properly secure otherwise you won't run short of builders rubble, old fridges, soggy sprung mattresses, motor tyres and asbestos etc, all of which would be down to you to have removed at considerable expense.

Isn't the fun of wild camping being able to pull up somewhere remote and quiet and then drive away in the morning having had a good nights sleep for nowt?

Shouldn't the buying woodland to park your Cali on, be in the accessories section? :thumb

Well it's not really just an idea as thousands of people own woodland. Clearly not everyone wants a wonderfully quiet, always vacant, far from a road, tons of free logs, never trespassing, laugh with friends around a fire all night long, dogs roaming free, endless fun and wonderful memories for the children, no one within sight, little slice of natural heavenly woodland.... but I love one. As for the doomsayers, feel free to contact any of the small woodland owners associations if you want the facts on how incredibly rare fly tipping deep in woodland really is.
I only wild camp and it is the shortage of peaceful, out of the way, legal wild camping spots in the SE of England that had drawn me to buying my own. I'm after a stop gap between major trips where I or family and friends can come and escape normality. My OP was purely an offer to share something beautiful with like minded folk. Not for you then fine.... but why the pooping on other peoples dreams?

Clearly not everyone wants a wonderfully quiet, always vacant, far from a road, tons of free logs, never trespassing, laugh with friends around a fire all night long, dogs roaming free, endless fun and wonderful memories for the children, no one within sight, little slice of natural heavenly woodland

Sounds perfect to me!

I have a 3 acre woodland which we use for both camping and firewood for our Woodburner at home. I have owned it eleven years and never had a problem with fly tippers or the like. It has increased in value every year and saves me around £500 per year in firewood. Don't let the doom and gloom merchants put you off.

Well it's not really just an idea as thousands of people own woodland. Clearly not everyone wants a wonderfully quiet, always vacant, far from a road, tons of free logs, never trespassing, laugh with friends around a fire all night long, dogs roaming free, endless fun and wonderful memories for the children, no one within sight, little slice of natural heavenly woodland.... but I love one. As for the doomsayers, feel free to contact any of the small woodland owners associations if you want the facts on how incredibly rare fly tipping deep in woodland really is.
I only wild camp and it is the shortage of peaceful, out of the way, legal wild camping spots in the SE of England that had drawn me to buying my own. I'm after a stop gap between major trips where I or family and friends can come and escape normality. My OP was purely an offer to share something beautiful with like minded folk. Not for you then fine.... but why the pooping on other peoples dreams?
Look, if it's what you want then go for it and good luck to you. I was merely pointing out that your dream of owning woodland could have certain drawbacks and you should proceed with both caution and open eyes.
For the last thirty three years I have lived adjacent to several thousand acres of beautiful privately owned ancient coppiced chestnut woodland,.......wild orchids, primroses, bluebells, nightingales, the whole glorious nine yards. However, over the years the owners have had to spend many many thousands removing fly tipped rubbish including burnt out cars, putting up fences and barriers to stop the off road types from reducing the various tracks into a sea of churned up mud, as well as maintaining the footpaths and that's all before the costs of properly managing it.

Last edited:
Good for you. Would love to know how you get on owning a wood.

Good luck to you I hope you don't have the same experience that I had when I tried this Having had an area ploughed levelled and a wild flower seed planted somebody decided they should do some off road driving in it so I had to fence it and put in gates. However it was great experience although a lot of work. I just loved looking at it and enjoying the peace and solitude.

A gate on the way in is a must, or you might find me wild camping!

Back