Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tips when picking up new California?

Well been to the dealer and its due in early next week, so picking up the following week as working away. Getting excited now.
The feeling of anticipation is great. Enjoy your new vehicle when it comes.

SimonB - I don't quite believe this. I put your advice at the end of my list, handwritten. And it was the ONE thing we didn't push for during handover (as I said in another thread the VW guy was going for the handbook on stuff I already had an idea of the answer thanks to this forum so wasn't pushing it...). Anyway, today I dropped the 'van' off to get the window tints done. Guess what happened on the way there - yep - the tyre pressure warning light came on saying it needed to be re-set. I've driven less than 10 miles since picking it up yesterday. Unfortunately I've left the handbooks in the van so once I get it back tomorrow will be off to VW to get them to show me what to do. I'll check out your post thoroughly first :thumb
Tyre reset is easily done, but check the pressures first, just in case.
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/boats-n-bits.11110/#post-105562
Halfway down the page. I doubt if they have changed it for the T6.
The reset is on the Dashboard MFD menu.

Hi
I wasn't planning on posting this until I'd got feedback from a few others and had chance to tidy it up (the logic isn't quite in line with the vehicle inspection which would be really handy to save flipping through the document). Clearly, the choices relate to the options on my vehicle and will need to be modified for others. Also the comments are my personal views, so not meant to cause any discussion / upset / offence.
It's my first camper, VW and Cali so I wanted a comprehensive list to ensure I didn't miss something in the excitement. I gave a copy to my friend and he also found it handy as he could potter around the vehicle ticking stuff off whilst I was with the VW guy going through stuff. It still took well over 2 hours...
I'm posting it now as I did actually find it a great reminder and there was stuff on it the VW guy has missed out (on a few items he went for the handbook as didn't know the answer). Also I'm not going to get chance to update it for a couple of weeks. Hope it helps others, but remember to personalise it against your opiotn list from your order and it is a 'work on progress'.
If there's any glaring omissions let me know and I'll tidy it up for the forum guys to upload once I'm back from Crufts.
Now of to get the window tint on the Silver Dream Machine
Alison
Alison - this is great. We are due to collect on Thesday and I will definitely use your list.

Just a couple of quick questions.

1. Are the rubber and carpet cab maps standard or did you order them as accessories?

2. Which gap insurance did you decide to get. I was all ready to buy ALA but they don't allow deferring for 12 months.

Thanks,
Dave

Some great tips on here about what to look out for on collection. Thanks to all those who have contributed. Picked up my Ocean yesterday and one or two other minor bits to think about:

Extension strap to allow kitchen table to attach to headrest to make extended worktop,
4 pegs to peg down the factory awning feet,
Removable kitchen cup holder thingy with ashtray insert,
Sink plug,
12v torch, neat little thing, packed beside the front side blackout screens (was optional extra but I didn't order it - now standard?)
Euro 2 pin EHU adaptor,
Confirm awning handle is in drawer,
Gas safety certificate,
I asked for some evidence that the optional extended warranty was in place as it appears that this is simply logged on VW computer systems with no customer booklet, but this is probably me and my 'trust issues'...
First aid kit and warning triangle within the same zip bag in kitchen cupboard.

And following the advice here, I confirmed that the tyre pressure reset was within the menu settings on the multi function display and was not a physical button as I was used to.

Hope thus is handy for other members.
Really helpful - thanks. Did others also get the torch free? I have paid for it :(.

I received the small rechargeable torch which plugs into the 12v socket in the small compartment which is useful for storing your mobile phone......seems this small torch is now supplied as standard

Alison - this is great. We are due to collect on Thesday and I will definitely use your list.

1. Are the rubber and carpet cab maps standard or did you order them as accessories?

2. Which gap insurance did you decide to get. I was all ready to buy ALA but they don't allow deferring for 12 months.

Thanks,
Dave

Don't forget there

Thanks,
Dave

Don't forget their 20% price promise. I got 5 years £30k cover for £280 with ALA.

I received the small rechargeable torch which plugs into the 12v socket in the small compartment which is useful for storing your mobile phone......seems this small torch is now supplied as standard

I believe this small torch is different to the £60 options ones.

Don't forget there

Don't forget their 20% price promise. I got 5 years £30k cover for £280 with ALA.

ALA price match for 180 days and will email you a quote to take up nearer the time. Instead of deferring they allow you up to 360 days. They are very good to talk to on the phone and explain everything.

Thanks,
Dave
Dave the rubber mats were extra, carpet ones come with it (mine are still underneath the rubber ones.
I was being a tad lazy and didn't shop around for GAP but got it from my dealer.
5 days into my first trip and loving it.
Alison

• Thanks
Reactions: DM
I believe this small torch is different to the £60 options ones.
I hope you are correct Dean. I was expecting something bigger then "small" for £60! I'll post photos of both tomorrow when I've seen them both.

For anyone getting the tow bar as an option to an Ocean, make sure you get the dealer to show you how to add/remove it as there is definitely a knack. Same with the front window blinds which are a little fiddly and need the mirror to be twiddled.

Picked my Ocean up today. Flippin 'eck I love it. Such a smooth drive and I'm so glad we went for the DSG.

well went to see it today to confirm all the options were fitted we ordered, well not sure on how to check for the uprated roll bars and it all looks good, still had its shipping stickers on. Picking it up on wed morning so readying my handover checks and questions. Can confirm the free small torch in a box as there. Got the free 5 day vw insurance sorted out while I finalise the normal one , think it will be with LV now to get the gap insurance done, gapinsurance.co.uk looking ok so far and can defer it 12 months as well. Not long now.

Could someone post a photo of this torch. I don't think I have got it. I have got the one which is a chargable option - it is also very small and stows magnetically into a compartment in the back of the driver's seat base. I'll post a picture later in the week.

I picked the cali up this morning but have had to leave it for my other half and daughter to explore whilst I'm away on business until the weekend :mad:

Hi, I'm back from my first trip (you'll probably be sick of my posts by now). But, in the meantime many folk will have picked up their new vans and others may have had time to reflect on their own experiences for older vans. If you can put your experiences here or PM me then then next week I'll bring it all together, neaten it up and pass it back to the forum admin to put on the download section.

For anyone getting the tow bar as an option to an Ocean, make sure you get the dealer to show you how to add/remove it as there is definitely a knack. Same with the front window blinds which are a little fiddly and need the mirror to be twiddled.

Picked my Ocean up today. Flippin 'eck I love it. Such a smooth drive and I'm so glad we went for the DSG.
Thanks fo the tip re the tow-bar. There is an art to fitting it. When I asked the dealer to show me at handover he had no idea. Fortunately he found a colleague who did.

That torch is like 5$ from ebay.
Be careful which one you choose as some are a little longer than others and won't allow the drinks holder to close, if you use that 12v socket.

That torch is like 5$ from ebay.
Thanks - I'm not going to lose any sleep over not having a £5 torch. I'll probably pick one up but as WG points out I'll need to be careful about the length.

Be careful which one you choose as some are a little longer than others and won't allow the drinks holder to close, if you use that 12v socket.
You are aware you can stick it into any other socket ? ;)

Great replies everyone. We pick ours up from Colindale dealer on Friday and will use the lists and discussions to check as much as possible. Oh if only we knew a Cali veteran to come and give the dealer a grilling!

We've ordered ours from there. Hope all goes well. When did you place your order?

Kevin and Becci,
How did the pickup go? My van is ordered from the same dealership so I wondered how well they handled the handover.

You are aware you can stick it into any other socket ? ;)
That's what I said in my post. You only have that problem if you use the Drinks Holder 12v socket!:headbang:thumb