Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tips when picking up new California?

Kevin&Becci

Kevin&Becci

One year in and loving it.
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
We are due to pick up our new California from the dealer in a few weeks. It is very exciting! Thought we would open a thread asking for tips on what to look out for and do when picking up a new van. We have never bought a new car before so not sure what to expect to have to check before we leave the forecourt. Any tips or checklists that people think will help on our pick up day, and hopefully it will help others too... Kevin and Becci x
ps. hope to see some of you for summer meet ups in the summer!

We are due to pick up our new California from the dealer in a few weeks. It is very exciting! Thought we would open a thread asking for tips on what to look out for and do when picking up a new van. We have never bought a new car before so not sure what to expect to have to check before we leave the forecourt. Any tips or checklists that people think will help on our pick up day, and hopefully it will help others too... Kevin and Becci x

Hi. We'll be collecting ours in a few weeks too so I know how excited you must be. There's a basic handover checklist in the downloads section that lists all the little things that come with the van but I'll also be very interested to hear what people suggest. I've bought new cars before but a Cali is totally different.

I know all thoughts will be on your new shiny van but if you are part exchanging don't forget the spare keys, V5c (signing over the rights can be done online now so a 2 minute job), locking wheel nut adapter and anything that the dealer will need to sell on or trade the vehicle.
Have a good look round the van inside and out without distractions, if there are two of you one should be concentrating on looking round for anything that isn't right. Might be worth writing down any questions you have before you go and checking them off as they have been answered so you don't miss anything. Ask to see demonstrations of equipment and make sure you are happy and have understood. Remember though the dealer should be happy to help if you forget something and have to go back or ring for help (and there is always this forum). Enjoy the experience it doesn't happen everyday and there is nothing like a new vehicle to put a smile on your face! Hope this helps

Last edited:
Look out for the Moulding fault on the plastic trim in the passenger side "B" Pillar. It can be seen when the seat is swivelled and you are facing backwards.. point it out to the dealer before you hand over your money.... thus defect seems to be on all Californias... it has been reported to VW customer service and the are dealing with it. But worth logging with your dealer.

Look out for the Moulding fault on the plastic trim in the passenger side "B" Pillar. It can be seen when the seat is swivelled and you are facing backwards.. point it out to the dealer before you hand over your money.... thus defect seems to be on all Californias... it has been reported to VW customer service and the are dealing with it. But worth logging with your dealer.
20151130_140433.jpg 20151130_140433.jpg 20151130_140433.jpg 20151130_140433.jpg

Didn't know this was being dealt with greenp. Thanks for the info, I'm going to the dealer today so I'll have a look and point it out.

Didn't know this was being dealt with greenp. Thanks for the info, I'm going to the dealer today so I'll have a look and point it out.
Well it's been reported to VW customer service and the dealer I bought mine from... it seems all Calis are affected... VW CS are taking up with factory.... you will have more clout than I did if you point out before you hand over £50K.... particularly if you hold back some cash pending repair / compensation. .. Best Wishes Paul

Check your upper rear brake light isn't loose. Ours was on our new T6 which meant water coming in through tailgate.

I would be looking under the rubber seal that goes around the raising section of the roof for paint bubbling.

Don't be paranoid , get your Cali and enjoy it .
It has a warrenty , they will deal with things if you got problems.
If your thinking of holding back money bear in mind there's a que of others who would love take delivery of a Cali ASAP , so ....your call

Last edited:
Hi just found out today that my Cali is built and awaiting transportation to UK so will following what other people are doing,making a list of things to do and things to get

Definitely an OTT response and having read many helpful post from Greenp I would say Troll was hardly apt. Give people the information and then let them deal with it as they see fit. If to them the marked plastic is a non issue great. If they want to bring to dealers attention great. The value of these forums is bringing the facts/information to people's attention and then it's personal choice if you ignore or not.

K&B enjoy the new wagon. I will be hopefully picking mine up around the same time. Peace and Love folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

take as long as you need to get the dealer to explain how things work. ENJOY the van and the new car smell

Definitely an OTT response and having read many helpful post from Greenp I would say Troll was hardly apt. Give people the information and then let them deal with it as they see fit. If to them the marked plastic is a non issue great. If they want to bring to dealers attention great. The value of these forums is bringing the facts/information to people's attention and then it's personal choice if you ignore or not.

K&B enjoy the new wagon. I will be hopefully picking mine up around the same time. Peace and Love folks.

Tom thanks for those words... I have got lots of great info from this forum, info that helped me chose and spec my T6 California Ocean.. I will continue learning about the vehicle and the lifestyle it affords... just back from our 5th wild camping trip in the Ocean, this time Kielder... I hope to be able to pass on any knowledge and info I come across. Thanks again Paul

No problem Paul. I have an Oryx Ocean on way which I think is same as yours and genuinely can't wait. I'm jealous your already on the adventure trail. T

Check the paint particularly around the door edges.

Really can not believe this.... I was only trying to help..... I don't expect defects when spending 50k.... maybe that's just me !!
Wonder how many of the people critisising Paul's comments have shelled out £50K plus for a T6. Yes it is a minor cosmetic fault but it shouldn't be there. We're hoping for a 1 March pick-up (although VW currently appear to be incapable of advising whether our Cali has been built or not) :( . When we pick up I shall note whether the fault exists, inform the dealer, and then go and have some fun. :bananadance

Are all the items in Handover Checklist in the downloads section applicable to the T6 Ocean?

Think the front screens are built in, not sure about Mosquito window screens, straps?? Euro Cable?