Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tips when picking up new California?

Thanks.

I didn't get the torch - got a cigarette lighter instead - not muCh use as: a) I don't smoke and b) I don't think the Cali has an ashtray!
My torch wasn't there either but the dealer ordered one in, is standard equipment on the ocean, not sure about the others...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I think this is as good a thread as any for checklist / handover queries. So I will post here. Happy to shift this or start a new thread if peeps think that would be more appropriate.

I've been cross referencing various bits of information to try to make sure that my Cali (Ocean 204 DSG) has been delivered with everything it should. In particular I have referenced the vehicle specification information that is currently available on the VW website. From the spec I am missing the following:
  1. "Storage net on lower dash passenger side"
    • this used to be an optional extra but is now listed as standard. Has anybody received it as standard?
  2. "Flexible halogen spotlight - multi-directional stem, targets light into the living area or pop-up roof"
    • I presume this refers to the light in the roofbed (which I thought had changed to LED anyway). When I queried this at handover the dealer advised that it has been replaced by the LED lights built into the roof. Is that correct? Has anyone received the flexible spotlight with a T6 Ocean? It is still listed on the Ocean spec on the VW website.
  3. "Storage box to left of two-seat rear bench"
    • Has anyone got any idea what this is? Is it the small drawer under the seat? I simply got a blanking plate on the front of the seat.
I'd appreciate feedback from others who have collected T6 Ocean's recently as to whether they have got these items.

1. No
2. No
3. No

• Thanks
Reactions: DM
Handover queries part 2.

This refers to items that are on the checklist in the download section but that I haven't received. It may be that they are no longer provided with an Ocean - or that they are simply missing.
  1. "Euro Cable"
    • What is this? Is it to do with the hook-up? Should it still be standard in an Ocean? It would be great if someone could post a photo.
  2. Handbooks and California Supplement"
    • I didn't receive a handbook supplement. Is there still one? The main handbook that I have received has a fairly extensive California section so tbh I'm not sure I need anything else. Is everything in the main handbook now? (I did receive an additional electrical and gas safety booklet refering to the kitchen unit)
Finally - does anyone have a definitive answer as to whether the 12V LED torch (fits in standard 12v socket) is standard or has been provided at the discretion of dealers? - I didn't get one.

Again - feedback from others much appreciated.

Dave

PS. If anyone is still looking for the warning triangle / first aid kit it is stowed at the back of the cupboard under the cooker.

Last edited:
1. Yes. It's a short length of adapter cable with the 2 pin Euro plug
2. No idea. I have the handbook, gas supplement, Roadside Assisstance Handbook, Service schedule and Infotainment system handbook. All except gas system book are in the black pouch.

My dealer gave me the wee torch in person as he said it might go walking before I came to collect the vehicle.

• Thanks
1. Yes. It's a short length of adapter cable with the 2 pin Euro plug
2. No idea. I have the handbook, gas supplement, Roadside Assisstance Handbook, Service schedule and Infotainment system handbook. All except gas system book are in the black pouch.

My dealer gave me the wee torch in person as he said it might go walking before I came to collect the vehicle.

Does the Euro Cable look like this? Is this what is required to connect to a hook-up on a continental campsite? Euro Cable.jpg
There certainly isn't one in my cali. However if this is what it is then it seems to be a generic item that can be picked up anywhere for about a fiver so I won't lose too much sleep over it.

I have received the same documentation as you. I am happy that it is sufficiently comprehensive. Although of course some of it is unintelligible - which is where this forum comes to the rescue :thumb.

Indeed it does. And I agree, when you need to buy the UK plugs / cable to charge leisure batteries at home then doesn't seem much help to give the Euro one.

The forum has been my life saver on many issues already :thumb

• Thanks
I think this is as good a thread as any for checklist / handover queries. So I will post here. Happy to shift this or start a new thread if peeps think that would be more appropriate.

I've been cross referencing various bits of information to try to make sure that my Cali (Ocean 204 DSG) has been delivered with everything it should. In particular I have referenced the vehicle specification information that is currently available on the VW website. From the spec I am missing the following:

"Flexible halogen spotlight
- multi-directional stem, targets light into the living area or pop-up roof"
I presume this refers to the light in the roofbed (which I thought had changed to LED anyway). When I queried this at handover the dealer advised that it has been replaced by the LED lights built into the roof. Is that correct? Has anyone received the flexible spotlight with a T6 Ocean? It is still listed on the Ocean spec on the VW website

When we picked up our beach a few weeks ago we received an Osram branded flexible 12v light in a box that can be used in the roof or on the dashboard, this is a much improved solution to the old fixed lights that were in SEs. I suspect this is what all Oceans will now be provided with assuming they aren't stolen by one of the multitude of people that have access to your van before you collect it ! We opted for the additional lighting package on the beach so probably not standard kit on a beach.
As others have said, the cheap 12v torches go missing easily enough so these ones are likely to as well.

• Thanks
Does the Euro Cable look like this? Is this what is required to connect to a hook-up on a continental campsite? View attachment 12738
There certainly isn't one in my cali. However if this is what it is then it seems to be a generic item that can be picked up anywhere for about a fiver so I won't lose too much sleep over it.

I have received the same documentation as you. I am happy that it is sufficiently comprehensive. Although of course some of it is unintelligible - which is where this forum comes to the rescue :thumb.

It is an adaptor cable that should be supplied to the vehicle.

It allows a standard UK cable to connect to continental two pin charging bollards,

A Sods law thing. I have yet to use mine as everywhere I have stayed in continental Europe so far have had what we would call standard but I can guarantee that the day I leave home without it in my van would be the one trip when I need it :D

• Thanks
Use it once so far. In Norway.

• Thanks
A definitive VW California Club checklist would be an asset in my humble opinion to list all the systematic things we need to be shown to avoid damage and to increase the enjoyment of this brilliant vehicle and sent to every dealership to adopt - for example:

1. How to erect the awning
2. How to connect the gas bottle
3. How to install the blinds
4. How to understand what the various plastic doo-dah's do etc

On the plus side, the Ocean DSG is an amazing feat of engineering and one to be savoured for many years. On the downside is the buying process, marketing and support information which is dire to say the least!

All credit to Liverpool for producing a video but what a fantastic opportunity for dealers to produce a series of video's to explain the finer touches of each model which should be funded by dealers to provide a lasting reference aid for their customers for many years.

Finally, so many people have said it on this Forum that the skills required by VW Commercial Van Centres are generally inadequate since this is a lifestyle vehicle and not a commercial vehicle - imagine how many more California's would be sold if they were showcased at mainstream car dealerships where cross fertilisation of sales would be maximised! I hope VW read these threads but I suspect they will not!

Last edited:

• this used to be an optional extra but is now listed as standard. Has anybody received it as standard?
  2. "Flexible halogen spotlight - multi-directional stem, targets light into the living area or pop-up roof"
    • I presume this refers to the light in the roofbed (which I thought had changed to LED anyway). When I queried this at handover the dealer advised that it has been replaced by the LED lights built into the roof. Is that correct? Has anyone received the flexible spotlight with a T6 Ocean? It is still listed on the Ocean spec on the VW website.
    • Has anyone got any idea what this is? Is it the small drawer under the seat? I simply got a blanking plate on the front of the seat.
I'd appreciate feedback from others who have collected T6 Ocean's recently as to whether they have got these items.

I received a flexible spotlight and tiny cigarette lighter torch with my Beach even though I ordered the LED comfort lighting. It came in a sealed pack with the window blinds.

• Thanks
Dashboard net - no.
Lights - on the roof ceiling
Storage box - yes there is another pull out tray to the left of the main tray
Euro cable - yes

• Thanks
I received a flexible spotlight and tiny cigarette lighter torch with my Beach even though I ordered the LED comfort lighting. It came in a sealed pack with the window blinds.
Ah - I haven't opened the pack with the window blinds yet - I'll check there.

The 12v torch is standard equipment according to the brochure, my dealer also double checked that when mine was missing before he ordered a replacement...

• Thanks
How do I check if all the options I've ordered were included?
There is no way I can check some of them visually. Should there be a list assigned to a VIN with exact options included?

How do I check if all the options I've ordered were included?
There is no way I can check some of them visually. Should there be a list assigned to a VIN with exact options included?

There is a list of codes on sticker in the front of the service book. The same sticker is also on the base of the drivers seat on a UK vehicle, your dealer will be able to decipher the codes, there is a list on this forum of what the codes mean, HC will find that for us I'm sure ;)

I got no acknowledgement or reply to my email to VW Customer Services (sent over a week ago) so I picked up the phone to VW Customer Services today.

I spoke to a very polite advisor but basically got stonewalled. He acknowledged that the website and latest brochure list these items as being standard on the Ocean. But apparently his 'system' shows them as being standard on the Beach only. According to him the spotlight and storage box are not available on the Ocean whilst the Storage net is a factory fit option only.

I have no idea where trades descriptions comes into this and don't have the will to have a 'fight' over this. But it is another example of VW's lack of attention to detail and cavalier attitude to customer service.

I've asked for a written response and will post it here when received. I will also see what my dealer has to say.

Dave

Not sure but you probably know this. I believe the storage box to the left of the two seat rear bench in the Ocean is the drawer for the optional storage net £150. Believe if you order the net you get the extra drawer. You lose storage for long items in that space like skis.

Mike

There was only one glovebox on the T5, so this net was where the lockable glovebox is on the T6.

1. "Flexible halogen spotlight - multi-directional stem, targets light into the living area or pop-up roof"
Replaced with the LED lights in the roof, and the 12V socket in the roof.

1. "Storage box to left of two-seat rear bench"
This does look like a mistake, as has already been said, this comes with the storage net option.

I would ignore that spec webpage, it has even more errors than the brochure and price list!!

• Thanks
Storage box is for the beach only for the 2seat version. Comes as standard, only with comfort bet extension as extra option. It is just a small higher and softer mattress that goes over the storage box.

The Storage box is the whole assembly to the left of a 2 seater bench on a beach that fills the hole where the kitchen would be on an Ocean.

The Storage box is the whole assembly to the left of a 2 seater bench on a beach that fills the hole where the kitchen would be on an Ocean.
no, I believe they are referring to the additional drawer in this thread (storage box) that is an option on the Ocean rear bench - it is an option that comes with the 'storage net'. Why they don't just call it "additional drawer and storage net" is beyond me.