Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Practicalities of Dogs and Calis

Very much resisting, losing Ben hurt a lot and I know it sounds silly to say it, took me months getting used to him not being by side at all times.
We have decided to go more places and take spontaneous trips without the worry of a dog. but never say never. I very nearly buckled when Tom posted his Collie pics a few months..
We are already dreading the day when Meg leaves us. She is 3,6, Jess 0,4 and our boys 2,11 and 1,7, so they are likely to be young teenagers when Meg dies, and will have known the dogs all their lives. Part of the reason for having two dogs is to lessen the pain when one goes.

Here is a family photo:
Leaburn.jpg
right, Leaburn, paternal grandfather - front, Rebus, father - middle, Meg, mother - rear, Jess

I fear the day our's wil pass away ....
Our Vizsla called "Mieke" is over 10y and we had her since pup , i think i have not been without her for that time of just one month as my wife took her twice to France when i had to work and could not join.
She (Mieke not the wife ;)) , is the one i give a cudlle last thing going to work and she's so always happy when i get home . We take here everywhere , she's been in more than 10 countries and up to 3300m altitude mountains in the snow.
Her mother , grandmother and great-grandmother i have all knew (got a picture of the four of them!) and they all reached above 13year one even 14y !

I cherish her company every minute.

Here enjoying a walk up Mount Snowdon last june
IMG_3631.JPG

Our miniature english bull terrier travels on a back seat belted. She has her own view from a window :)
The only problem she doesn't want to sleep alone and has to go with us in the tent.
So if she wants to pee or to drink somebody has to climb her down :)
She likes it a lot more in a vehicle than in a tent. We almost couldn't leave her in a tent in past travels.
In a cali even in hot weather with roof up she can stay in car pretty happy.
Lots of times staying in open nature she preffers just to get back on the bench to sleep :)
13416815_1202335686457166_6845817660455806114_o.jpg

IMG_0413.JPG This is Molly, our border collie. Unfortunately she decided her travelling days were over the day we collected our Cali. She went away happily last year when we hire a camper and then a Cali, but now she would rather be at home. We have had the Cali since March but only had 2 nights away (that's when we discovered she would rather be at home and no one was going to sleep until she did!)

i am having a real battle with myself with regards getting another boxer dog,so much fun but worried about the pup damaging my new camper and the restrictions having a dog bring also the space inside the van we did manage with our old boxer but she was old and calm.

Calis are pretty bullet proof.
My old cali I travelled with two dogs and used it to work out of (electrician).
When I sold it still got very good price for it.
Inka seat covers, kurgo seat hammock (Halfords) and floor mats.
If you spend your life worrying about cali and damage you would never use it. Any plonked could damage it in a carpark.
Dogs and campers go together!

If you spend your life worrying about cali and damage you would never use it. Any plonked could damage it in a carpark.
yes you are right they bring so much happiness, never though about the seat hammock could be a good option better than loosing the boot

So how would the hammock work would the bench seat need moving fully forward when travelling to create the hammock ie attaching to front seat headrest

So how would the hammock work would the bench seat need moving fully forward when travelling to create the hammock ie attaching to front seat headrest
Sorry shouldn’t of called it a hammock, it’s the kurgo seat cover.
I just roll it up when I want the rear seat, don’t use the rear clip, on a cali seat you can use the two head rest clips to hold in place (fits a lot better on a cali). Great covers and you can access the seat belts too.66A4578D-D6C7-4665-96F0-0D4E271DAFCE.jpeg

If your worried a dog might damage your van…you shouldn’t get a dog.

Last edited:
i am having a real battle with myself with regards getting another boxer dog,so much fun but worried about the pup damaging my new camper and the restrictions having a dog bring also the space inside the van we did manage with our old boxer but she was old and calm.
We understand your anxiety about the Cali but don’t let it colour how you use it, the idea behind a Cali is fun and adventure. One of the main reasons we got a Cali was for the dogs, they go so well together. Our Cali was new over 2 years ago, we have 2 dogs, they have the run of the vehicle, there’s no damage been done. They are no longer pups as yours would be but dogs grow up very quickly. You already know having a dog brings restrictions but the love they give and the joy they bring for us far outweighs any restrictions.
Don’t forget to let us know when you get your new pup.

We understand your anxiety about the Cali but don’t let it colour how you use it, the idea behind a Cali is fun and adventure. One of the main reasons we got a Cali was for the dogs, they go so well together. Our Cali was new over 2 years ago, we have 2 dogs, they have the run of the vehicle, there’s no damage been done. They are no longer pups as yours would be but dogs grow up very quickly. You already know having a dog brings restrictions but the love they give and the joy they bring for us far outweighs any restrictions.
Don’t forget to let us know when you get your new pup.
Thanks you for the good advice we are going to get a pup our lives don’t feel as full without a dog,20+ years we have had a dog they bring so much fun.When I have a picture of her I will post

Last time I took Amarillo for a service I was phoned and given a £££ ridiculous quote for replacing the handbrake cover lovingly chewed by Jess (Meg’s puppy which we later gave to my cousin). I explained that every time I used that handbrake I was reminded of Jess who chewed Amarillo’s handbrake in our first week of ownership: a bad memory turned good.

Thanks you for the good advice we are going to get a pup our lives don’t feel as full without a dog,20+ years we have had a dog they bring so much fun.When I have a picture of her I will post
Awesome, it was so obvious you were a real dog loving family, you won’t regret it :bananadance2

We’re due to look after our sons dog when camping later in June. He’s a lovely dog, but likes to explore and make new friends! Considering lashing points for a long lead, and also while on the road for his short lead. I considered the Campervanbits anchor point to install in the rail slide (£35!!), but have come up with a couple of cheaper options. Basic, but should work? What do you think?

7299C67F-8E8C-44CD-84D1-314FB57EC8D7.jpeg

We’re due to look after our sons dog when camping later in June. He’s a lovely dog, but likes to explore and make new friends! Considering lashing points for a long lead, and also while on the road for his short lead. I considered the Campervanbits anchor point to install in the rail slide (£35!!), but have come up with a couple of cheaper options. Basic, but should work? What do you think?

View attachment 93789
We use one like this https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/spiral-tie-out-stake

I've just bought a canal boat mooring spike as I think my mutts will pull the usual dog spike out. Hopefully, will test it shortly.

Rea
Realised after I’d posted that you meant whilst in transit. We have a lashing ring which is secured to the rail by a t-bar.

We too thought the shop one was rather overpriced, so asked our dealer if they had anything suitable when we collected our van. They supplied this one for free.

It doesn’t fold flat, but is directly behind the passenger seat and hasn’t proved a trip hazard. We either attach a harness to this and our dog lies in her bed on the floor or use a harness that clips directly into the seat belt.

Back