Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Toilet Talk

The Thetford 345 also just fits in the space behind the cab seats and a the downstairs bed when pulled out .It also fits in the boot snugly underneath the shelf . It is too big to fit in the kitchen cupboard though .

I am now going to a "halfway house" resolution.

I normally use BIAB, have done for the last five years, but if on a campsite with facilities then I prefer to use theirs rather than mine, especially as BIAB bags or equivalent are expensive.

However just being close to people I don't know I now find uncomfortable. I was camping when lockdown was announced ad the R was over three rather than less than one as it is now. I did find the few people using the facilities tended to be in a denial bubble, no problem brushing past me in their haste to get to the showers or toilets or wash basins. This time round, my next trip on the 6th July, there will also be children and with the best will in the world I'm afraid that when playing with friends then children are not that likely to remember strict social distancing rules or hand washing regimes.

Therefore my half-way house is to dust off my old 335 which has been gathering dust in the garage for the last five years and to use that to minimise my trips to the facilities block.

I do feel that the risks are slight if strict attention is paid to separation and hand-washing regimes but if a risk can be avoided at little cost then it's a risk not worth taking.

If it’s not going to be used to it’s ”full capability “ I’d say just get a bucket a lot cheaper, compact and it can be used for other purposes.
I don't trust buckets as they could be knocked over personally a large screw down old pickle (!) jar is better, though ladies may need something wider.

Each to their own, and I am actually not being judgemental of your choice in your van....but just the idea of going to the toilet in the van, well....it makes me feel physically sick....I sleep there, I cook there....

It's funny; before we got our van, yes, I had the same reaction. Using a loo within reach of the washing up bowl just didn't seem right. However, a few trips in the van accustomed me to a wide range of inconveniences, and a greater tolerance of different kinds of conveniences :) It's still definitely a case of 'Would you like to take the dog for a short walk, dear?', though.

Our loo was normally only used on pretty rare occasions, but we did find that the combination of a small van and a Khyam loo tent was a remarkably civilised arrangement.

In these days of lockdown, however, when we're not sleeping in the van, its chief value is as a mobile loo. :)

I removed (read destroyed) the shelf in the cupboard under the gas rings in my T4 California. The larger Thetford 365 Qube Portapotti fits very snugly into it. I made two small platforms about 2 inches tall out of wood, one for inside the cupboard and one that I store on top of the toilet and that I put outside the cupboard and slide the toilet onto when I take the toilet out of the cupboard. The platforms let me slide the toilet over the sill at the bottom of the cupboard door, which I did not want to modify.

There is enough space for the Qube 365 in the van with the bed made up. The 365 has the same width and length as the 335, it is just taller and has about twice the capacity in the holding tank.

Thetford 335s (£69.99 +£5.99p&p) in stock at Camping-intl.com.
That’s a good price, we paid £86 back in October (pre COVID prices)

I’ve had to buy a thetford toilet - most sites won’t let you book unless you have one.
However we’ve also bought a toilet tent as unless it was a terrible emergency @Big Ron i couldn’t no2 in the van ;)

I’ve had to buy a thetford toilet - most sites won’t let you book unless you have one.
However we’ve also bought a toilet tent as unless it was a terrible emergency @Big Ron i couldn’t no2 in the van ;)
Just wait until that terrible emergency and you’ll be well grateful. :eek:

The Thetford 345 also just fits in the space behind the cab seats and a the downstairs bed when pulled out .It also fits in the boot snugly underneath the shelf . It is too big to fit in the kitchen cupboard though .
Agree, I also have 345. It stays in the boot unless we really need it.

I was all against one, but it has come in really useful on many occasions. #2 are generally a no no, and I don't like cr4pping in my kitchen/lounge but there was a campsite in France where the toilets were not the nicest (kids refused to go there) and we preferred our own option (although it did go in the awning bedroom).

Agree, I also have 345. It stays in the boot unless we really need it.

I was all against one, but it has come in really useful on many occasions. #2 are generally a no no, and I don't like cr4pping in my kitchen/lounge but there was a campsite in France where the toilets were not the nicest (kids refused to go there) and we preferred our own option (although it did go in the awning bedroom).
We have a pop up toilet tent . Takes literally minutes to set up

The 335 is easily disguised by buying a fabric covered storage box from Dunelm , the size of which is as if it was designed for the Thetford 335 - slips over it perfectly and looks and acts as a footstool.
Having just invested in one this is an excellent tip. Thanks.

I bought a Bivvy loo from a fishing website. It folds up really small. No chemicals to find a place to dispose of responsibly. Biodegradable bag and crystals that soak up liquid. Look up Carplife website or Amazon. Sold my Thetford qube
Now this is very interesting. I am on it!

Let me know when you find one in stock cause I can’t
Read this thread on Saturday, which reminded me that now is probably a good time to get a loo. Have taken delivery of a 335 today from Midland Leisure Supplies. I ordered on Monday.

The 335 is easily disguised by buying a fabric covered storage box from Dunelm , the size of which is as if it was designed for the Thetford 335 - slips over it perfectly and looks and acts as a footstool.
I’ve just bought one of these and it is brilliant - it’s as if it was made specifically to cover up my Thetford toilet! Genius. It folds flat, has a lovely padded top which makes a great footrest/side table, and it feels really well made too - and all for £12.99! Great recommendation.

Was in France last week, Verdon river/Canyon, no problems at campsites no drama, was at 90 space site Les Ruisses, a municipal site at Les Salles-sur-Verdon, was calm business as usual, toilet blocks open with social distancing i.e. in one door out another with alternate basins etc not used, was € 14.25 for van & 2 bods.
Also used Aires with toilets same no problems. Obviously wild camping no problems.IMG_9728.jpgIMG_9729.jpg
Pics of Les Ruisses site.

this also fits snugly over the 335.

£3 from Ikea.

I don't trust buckets as they could be knocked over personally a large screw down old pickle (!) jar is better, though ladies may need something wider.
I find the Waitrose laundry liquid bottle a good fit but the other half might struggle... so there’s a bucket on hand!

Wow, a Kilner jar for a wee. That’s really ‘old school’!

this also fits snugly over the 335.

£3 from Ikea.

Yeah, forgot about them, not so good as a padded footstool though bt very cheap. We have 3 denim ones on our ocean’s back shelf for bedding. They pack almost completely flat and are really lightweight.

Decided on a Thetford 565E - push button electric flush so our five year old doesnt need help, higher so I can sit on it, did order the floor mount but have decided to leave in the boot in a Thetford bag and then we can chuck it in our pop up tent of convenience. Plus a warm and luckily washable seat cover :oops:06469236-63F4-4B5D-BAFF-773EED0CFCF4.jpeg3E2EA175-30FB-47CE-96D5-D8FFDF887864.png

Decided on a Thetford 565E - push button electric flush so our five year old doesnt need help, higher so I can sit on it, did order the floor mount but have decided to leave in the boot in a Thetford bag and then we can chuck it in our pop up tent of convenience. Plus a warm and luckily washable seat cover :oops:View attachment 62251View attachment 62252
Love that toilet tent, I would be tempted to go in making a drum roll noise and come out whistling the circus tune (did, did, didderlidder, Di, Di, diiiiiiir), especially after an emergency poo!!

• Haha
Reactions: JDA
Love that toilet tent, I would be tempted to go in making a drum roll noise and come out whistling the circus tune (did, did, didderlidder, Di, Di, diiiiiiir), especially after an emergency poo!!
We made a new family rule that you can only use it if you either unicycle in or are wearing a plastic flower that squirts water. Or hand sanitiser. Either ok.

We made a new family rule that you can only use it if you either unicycle in or are wearing a plastic flower that squirts water. Or hand sanitiser. Either ok.
Where did you get it from? The tent, not the unicycle.

Last edited: