Toilets and social distancing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vee

Vee

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
What do you think campsites owners need to do to make toilets and shower blocks safely useable for campervanners?

What do you think campsites owners need to do to make toilets and shower blocks safely useable for campervanners?
Just open them?
A number of people would view risks too, too high and stay at home.

A number of others remain self-contained due to risk adversity, leaving the facilities to be used by others.

It’s a personal choice, but I don’t think it’s possible to evade all possible contacts forever, and we will have to live with this virus ....I’m happy to play the averages and risk it.

I say this with an understanding of others feelings and an acceptance of others views on risks.

when people on here are more worried about their 2nd homes than camping I think we are all doomed for the rest of the year.
as for going for a shite in a toilet I suppose I would be fine. I don't generally shite within 2M of other people

Time slots for the shower block might help: fourty family groups on a campsite; 720 minutes between 8am and 8pm; 40 x 18 minutes slots.

Toilets are a bit harder to manage, but families could be encouraged to make use of bottles for pee, and only use the toilet block for poo.

when people on here are more worried about their 2nd homes than camping I think we are all doomed for the rest of the year.
as for going for a shite in a toilet I suppose I would be fine. I don't generally shite within 2M of other people

The virus transmissable via faeces so toilet blocks have potential to catch Covid

Toilet blocks should be chargeable per night, such as electric hook up. For the fee you get full time supervision controlling numbers and cleaning every hour.
For peace of mind and extra service I would happily pay, as compared with alternative. No 2’s in the van, and no shower at all.

Undoubtedly, to keep them closed and request that visitors are self sufficient.
If you think the risk is too great, simple dont use them!
But instead you prefer to enforce your view of risk on others by banning use?
If that sentiment won over then most local people would want to ban you from visiting the camp site in the first place.
I have a difficulty in accepting this negative stance!

Hello @Big Ron -

SARS-COV-2 the virus that causes COVID-19 has been detected in faeces (see attached article).

That potentially adds to any risks of catching COVID-19 in a shared toiled bock from contaminated surfaces.

I don't see any value judgements in the above statement, or any suggestion about how you or others wish to manage such risks.

Attachments

• Wadman M et al. A Rampage through the body. Science 2020 368, 356-1.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 24
It doesn’t help that few WCs have hand washing in the cubical. People flush and open the cubicle before washing hands, the flush and door lock then become contaminated with traces of faecal matter.

I accept @flying banana ‘s comment in another thread, that so long as you wash properly in the morning you shouldn’t need to wash your hands after every pee, but it is essential after every poo. Perhaps the continentals have it right and a bidet rather than smearing with paper is the way to go.

It doesn’t help that few WCs have hand washing in the cubical. People flush and open the cubicle before washing hands, the flush and door lock then become contaminated with traces of faecal matter.

I accept @flying banana ‘s comment in another thread, that so long as you wash properly in the morning you shouldn’t need to wash your hands after every pee, but it is essential after every poo. Perhaps the continentals have it right and a bidet rather than smearing with paper is the way to go.
Don't recall Bidets in French campsites.

The biggest problem for campsite Owners would be complying with Covid-19 H&S guidelines which would require the toilet to be wiped down after EVERY persons use.

Until such a time as it is not required for Site Owners to comply with virtually unworkable hygiene practices they will simply keep the toilet facilities closed.
An option could be for any user to do the cleaning procedure after they have used the facility prior to the next person making use of it etc etc. I think not.

Agree with those that are saying if you are that worried about it stay at home.
As for covid and sing, I usually manage to wipe my arse without getting poo on on my fingers and always wash my hands straight after anyhow. Pretty sure you can catch more damaging things than covid from sing, so hopefully most folk have been taking suitable post poo precautions all the time.
Although I am assured that the free peanuts and pretzels on bars are never gonna taste the same now we have all this hand washing going on.

H&S guidelines are an interesting one.
In my workplace the toilets are not cleaned after each use. Pretty sure there is nothing that says shared toilets have to have a permanent cleaner attached to them, to clean them after every user.
Trust me my company are all over the requirements demanded, and we take a standard approach worldwide.
Although thinking about it, those nightclubs that have the aftershave toothpaste towel handlers in the toilets are going to be quids in. Worth every penny of the tip nowadays (when clubs open again, if ever)

Don’t understand the fuss. Just wash your hands on the way out.

I’ve always thought bathroom/toilet doors should open outwards, that way you can wash your hands and push the door open with your foot without having to touch the handle on your way out.

Don't recall Bidets in French campsites.
No toilet paper, no toilet seats and worst of all, no soap either. Perhaps this pandemic will change that aspect of camping in France.

Toilets in private homes are almost always better equipped than those in public areas.

Hello @Big Ron -

SARS-COV-2 the virus that causes COVID-19 has been detected in faeces (see attached article).

That potentially adds to any risks of catching COVID-19 in a shared toiled bock from contaminated surfaces.

I don't see any value judgements in the above statement, or any suggestion about how you or others wish to manage such risks.
Hi kp...
I haven’t suggested c-19 hasn’t been detected In faeces.

My comment was made after reading Marc Oldmans post where he said the blocks should be closed, and then your post where you pointed out that c-19 can be found in faeces and I think you meant to say that therefore one could catch C-19 from toilet blocks. I had taken that as you supporting Keeping toilet blocks closed.. Sorry if you didn’t mean that.:thumb

However, for avoidance of doubt..... for those suggesting that toilet blocks should remain closed.....they could just not use them themselves and avoid that risk to themselves. But, instead they are applying their value judgement of risk and are trying to stop anyone from using the toilet block.

It doesn’t appear reasonable to me for anyone to say “I’ve looked at the risk and I’ve decided I don’t want to do this, therefore I’m going to say you shouldn’t be allowed to decide whether you should do this or not”.

I hope this has clarified my post?

Most campsites are saying toilet blocks will stay closed and only vehicles with their own facilities will be allowed on site. I know this will affect most of us on here but it's possibly the correct decision

If that sentiment won over then most local people would want to ban you from visiting the camp site in the first place.
My, in part tongue in check, comment was in response to the question ‘what could campsites do to keep toilet blocks safe?’.
it was, in part, a tongue in cheek one line response to a one line question. Nowhere do I state my personal view of the risk, nor any desire to be ‘banning’ nor to ‘enforce’ anything.

Most campsites are saying toilet blocks will stay closed and only vehicles with their own facilities will be allowed on site. I know this will affect most of us on here but it's possibly the correct decision
Camping In The Forest sites that don’t have toilet blocks already operate this policy. You must have your own portable loo, that’s all that’s required.

Don’t understand the fuss. Just wash your hands on the way out.

I’ve always thought bathroom/toilet doors should open outwards, that way you can wash your hands and push the door open with your foot without having to touch the handle on your way out.
True. I think nearly all toilet doors open the wrong way round. Why is that. You always have to pull the handle to get out. Pubs are the same

Only my opinion but if they have to close the WC blocks then
all public toilets should be closed.

Motorway services, hospitals, fast food joints, pubs and restaurants when
they eventually slowly open.

I don't think we will see toilets blocks open and if they do I am not sure I would be happy to use them as some people have disgusting habits at the best of times. We have just purchased a portable toilet and toilet tent. Only thing we need to sort is the hot water now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back