Toilets and social distancing

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I've started to notice soap in more French sites now and never really found it a problem to have to take my own bog roll and kind of got used to no seat.
I guess, then, you have never had to deal with a three year old in a French campsite swimming pool who unexpectedly says, "Dad, I need a poo." You have limited time to get the child from the pool, to the toilet block. No seat - no problem, but no paper and no soap is a problem. Do you leave the child alone while you return to the van to get paper and soap, or do you allow the child to waddle back to the van to do the cleaning?

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

goody goody 2shoes
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
When lockdown was announced for oldies like me I was on a CC site. I was with my sister who has lung problems.

Using the loo, or shower was a nightmare.

Exit the cubicle and you are touching three hard surfaces before you leave. Wash your hands as as the tap was not lever design so you had to touch the tap. Go to leave the block and it opens inwards so you have to use the handle.

I have been quite happy in the past camping away for ten nights at a time in places with no facilities and would be quite happy to do so again. I can also see though the argument to leave loo blocks closed. Not everyone is scrupulous about hygiene as we've all seen even in "peacetime". They would be just one other source of contamination.

Last edited:
L

Lin!

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
With this combination you have your own bathroom
Tailgate Shower tent.jpg
hot shower.jpg

Karlos

Karlos

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I guess, then, you have never had to deal with a three year old in a French campsite swimming pool who unexpectedly says, "Dad, I need a poo." You have limited time to get the child from the pool, to the toilet block. No seat - no problem, but no paper and no soap is a problem. Do you leave the child alone while you return to the van to get paper and soap, or do you allow the child to waddle back to the van to do the cleaning?
No never had that problem with our daughter but we did always put a loo roll in the bag we would take to the pool, I say we, what I mean is Mrs K so maybe she was thinking ahead.

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
No never had that problem with our daughter but we did always put a loo roll in the bag we would take to the pool, I say we, what I mean is Mrs K so maybe she was thinking ahead.
Yes - If it were Mrs Amarillo in the pool she'd have wipes and a couple of changes of clothes, plasters, emergency sweets, drinking water, suncream, sun hats and all sorts of other useful stuff.

When I go, its trunks, a shared towel and perhaps crocs.

I take 5 seconds to get ready for a swim with the boys, Mrs Amarillo takes at least an hour.

Karlos

Karlos

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Yes - If it were Mrs Amarillo in the pool she'd have wipes and a couple of changes of clothes, plasters, emergency sweets, drinking water, suncream, sun hats and all sorts of other useful stuff.

When I go, its trunks, a shared towel and perhaps crocs.

I take 5 seconds to get ready for a swim with the boys, Mrs Amarillo takes at least an hour.
Agreed and what do they do I the shower for so long?

blakeley

blakeley

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I like the idea of showering in a toilet tent but it is not practical as soon as that water hits the grass you then have mud making it unusable for next time , you also run the risk of upsetting the campsite owner. Showering outside is possibly just as bad as discharging grey water on a pitch

Euge

Euge

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
True. I think nearly all toilet doors open the wrong way round. Why is that. You always have to pull the handle to get out. Pubs are the same
Probably to prevent getting a face full of door when people are walking past a cubicle that someone is vacating.

V

Vagophile

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I often wonder how we managed with our Kombi in the '80s. No toilet, not even a porta potti, no shower, only cold water, but used it for 3 month+ trips through Europe without visiting many camp sites, in fact I cannot remember showering at all, but I do have an abiding memory of a very surprised Greek shepherd confronting a naked lady bathing in his sheep drinking trough at a fresh water spring.
Perhaps we can get too hung up on some things? I know we have to look out for children and that does have responsibilities, but a few packs of Florence and Fred wet wipes is cheap and in my view will adequately clean any and all parts of the human body indefinitely.

willwander

willwander

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Probably to prevent getting a face full of door when people are walking past a cubicle that someone is vacating.
Hmmm, Doors, very risky things, they should be banned.

flying banana

flying banana

T6 Ocean 204ps manual
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
all this toilet talk is showing up some phobias. put it this way. the toilets on our trains are open so don't see why a campsite couldn't open one.
if you think campers have some filthy habits try going into the toilets on a train in the engine shed thats just arrived on a friday night

blakeley

blakeley

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
all this toilet talk is showing up some phobias. put it this way. the toilets on our trains are open so don't see why a campsite couldn't open one.
if you think campers have some filthy habits try going into the toilets on a train in the engine shed thats just arrived on a friday night

On a train I don't clean my teeth, have a shower, hang my towel, put down by toilet bag, walk bare foot etc...

You can't compare the two !

westfalia

westfalia

Top Poster
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Don't believe you. I would have to see a picture :)

B

Big Ron

On a train I don't clean my teeth, have a shower, hang my towel, put down by toilet bag, walk bare foot etc...

You can't compare the two !
Well don’t do those in a campsite block if you don’t want to take any risk. And others can decide what they want to do maybe?

blakeley

blakeley

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Well don’t do those in a campsite block if you don’t want to take any risk. And others can decide what they want to do maybe?

Exactly, glad you caught my drift

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

goody goody 2shoes
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Firstly, I don’t think the the toilet block will catch Covid :)
But, if you don’t want to take the risk....just don’t use them?
Why try to force your value judgement of risk on others?
He's not.

He's expressing an opinion.