Torque settings

briwy

briwy

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Jusr changing the rear brake pads.
Does anyone know the torque setting for the bolts holding the caliper to the carrier please?

Excellent, thanks Loz.
Guessed at 40 so all done now. Surprisingly easy job, about hald an hour per side. Dealer wanted around £140 +VAT.. Genuine pads £60 so well worth a bit of time.
Not forgotton the other thing BTW

Hello Loz,
Out of interest, where can you access those sort of details?
Best wishes
Paul

Perfect. Just about to order some Brembo pads to go with my new discs and stumbled across this.

Oddly the calliper bracket bolts are not indicated as replace after removal. (LR are / and Breeze sold me bolts with the rear discs)

I was thinking more of the 160nm caliper bracket bolts to the hub

Just ordered a set of Brembo pads for £32 from GSF. (Last Brembo pads for my JCW came with caliper bolts). Crazy not to swap the pads out at the same time as the discs even though they have only racked up 11000miles since replacement

Just changed our front discs and pads and found that you need one of these.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00QJ10S3I/?tag=eliteelect-21
Without this you won't be able to get the caliper slide bolts out. Strange arrangement but apparently quite common. The bolt has a short thread, then the the sliding bit and the actual socket part is this 9mm hexagon in the end of the bolt.
For info the torque settings are 180Nm for the carrier bolts (spot of thread locker on them) and ours were really tight, had to get a 1m extension on the breaker bar to loosen them.
30Nm for the caliper slide bolts.

A bit late in the discussion however might be useful for future enquirers.
According to Haynes manual for T5.
REAR brake standard caliper requires 165 Nm. The guide pin bolts require 35 Nm.
FRONT caliper bolts: Stage1 180 Nm, Stage2 angle-tighten through a further 45 degrees.
Guide pins (VW3) 30 Nm, (VW 2FNR 44) 60 Nm.

You don’t need to remove bolts #4 for the pads.

Back