Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Towbar Bike Rack for 4 bikes T6.1

Sunshine&Snow

Sunshine&Snow

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
We're looking for a bike rack that will fit on the tow bar for 4 bikes that will fold out of the way and still let us in the back when it's loaded. We have normal bikes that are fairly light, no e-bikes or anything like that.

We've been looking at Thule & Atera (but that only comes in 3+1), there is also a world of cheap ones at about half the price.

Has anyone tried and found one of the cheaper ones good? Any particular brand recommendations?

I don't really think there are much 4 bike carriers. The best you will find are 3+1 as you mentioned.

I moved from Thule to Atera so I can open my boot with 3 bikes on the rack. works like a charm.
Remember, quality and user friendlyness comes at a price.
I was lucky enough to get a new Atera for half the price, but I would have paid the full pot because the Thule was just a PITA when camping.

I don't really think there are much 4 bike carriers. The best you will find are 3+1 as you mentioned.

I moved from Thule to Atera so I can open my boot with 3 bikes on the rack. works like a charm.
Remember, quality and user friendlyness comes at a price.
I was lucky enough to get a new Atera for half the price, but I would have paid the full pot because the Thule was just a PITA when camping.
It's interesting you couldn't open it with the Thule, but could with the Atera.

Where did you find the Atera half price? If you don't mind me asking.

The Tule just tilts, which means, the bootlid didn't have enough clearance, even with the clamp bar folded down. The bootlid is about 1,5 meters long.
The Atera slides away from the back of the van. This gives enough clearance, even with all 3 bikes put on, to open the lid.

Not my picture, but you get the point:
thule.jpg
Doesn't clear the opening of the bootlid.

My picture, only 1 bike:
IMG_20190526_195127.jpg
This really clears the opening space. Even without bikes loaded.
A T6 doesn't clear the opening space. Probably a different towbar. The ball is about 1 cm closer to the bumper, so you have to pull the rack or the 1 bike down. With all 3 bikes attached, the weight pulls the rack further away, and clears the space, no problem.

Again no picture of mine, but as you can see, from the position of the 4th bar, the bike rack is still able to slide all the way down without touching the ground (apart from the weight of the bikes and the slope of the ground).
1589736801143.png

I was lucky enough to find a brand new one (with minor damage and only 1 key) on a second hand website. Probably due to the damage, bought by someone for a cheaper price. I asked the seller what it would cost to send it 120 km from Brussels to the seaside of Belgium. Or €50 off his price, and I would collect it in Brussels. He agreed for me to collect it. So I think I did a good bargain.

The Tule just tilts, which means, the bootlid didn't have enough clearance, even with the clamp bar folded down. The bootlid is about 1,5 meters long.
The Atera slides away from the back of the van. This gives enough clearance, even with all 3 bikes put on, to open the lid.

Not my picture, but you get the point:
View attachment 59458
Doesn't clear the opening of the bootlid.

My picture, only 1 bike:
View attachment 59460
This really clears the opening space. Even without bikes loaded.
A T6 doesn't clear the opening space. Probably a different towbar. The ball is about 1 cm closer to the bumper, so you have to pull the rack or the 1 bike down. With all 3 bikes attached, the weight pulls the rack further away, and clears the space, no problem.

Again no picture of mine, but as you can see, from the position of the 4th bar, the bike rack is still able to slide all the way down without touching the ground (apart from the weight of the bikes and the slope of the ground).
View attachment 59457

I was lucky enough to find a brand new one (with minor damage and only 1 key) on a second hand website. Probably due to the damage, bought by someone for a cheaper price. I asked the seller what it would cost to send it 120 km from Brussels to the seaside of Belgium. Or €50 off his price, and I would collect it in Brussels. He agreed for me to collect it. So I think I did a good bargain.

You got a great bargain! Well done.

Thanks for your detailed reply, it's really appreciated. We're having a really good think.

You got a great bargain! Well done.

Thanks for your detailed reply, it's really appreciated. We're having a really good think.
You can get a 4th bike carrier for this Thule. I don’t know whether it will still tilt far enough to open the door with 4 bike on though.

30D23BB8-B4F6-4586-B117-7FCE8439C168.jpegDEE595BB-5488-488A-8408-579DBC7EB811.jpeg6E23216F-7640-4466-BE0B-36F7288B2CDD.jpegCF8EBA6E-C1FA-45CA-AD98-5D245B4026B5.jpegF77BFE63-E3E8-448E-8862-876B153DC812.jpeg7F08AE62-418F-4933-8747-DB63D7240898.jpeg
I moved the retaining wire from the left hole to the right one in the last photo. The design also allows you to stand in this space for getting things in and out of the rear of the van.

You can get a 4th bike carrier for this Thule. I don’t know whether it will still tilt far enough to open the door with 4 bike on though.

View attachment 59467View attachment 59468View attachment 59469View attachment 59470View attachment 59471View attachment 59472
I moved the retaining wire from the left hole to the right one in the last photo. The design also allows you to stand in this space for getting things in and out of the rear of the van.

Thanks! Which model Thule is it?

Thanks! Which model Thule is it?
Thule 929 Euro Classic G6.

There are more discussions here.

We have the Atera Strada and it is a great price of kit, I'll be doing a review on my YouTube channel in the next few days. Click to check out my videos: Campervan Journey Trailer

We're looking for a bike rack that will fit on the tow bar for 4 bikes that will fold out of the way and still let us in the back when it's loaded. We have normal bikes that are fairly light, no e-bikes or anything like that.

We've been looking at Thule & Atera (but that only comes in 3+1), there is also a world of cheap ones at about half the price.

Has anyone tried and found one of the cheaper ones good? Any particular brand recommendations?
Hi, I have just uploaded my video review of the Atera Strada to my YouTube Channel, the link is here if you would like to watch. Campervan Journey Atera Strada Full Review