• 3 hours 15 minutes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3 hours 20 minutes

• 3 hours 25 minutes

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't know how I got to my answer...my maths failed me again.
My method this morning the same....but takes me to 3:10 so hurry up Tom!!!;)

Hmmm. I still make it 3hr 10. The return needs to be by the fastest and each are limited by the outbound trip. So I am scratching my head. So the figures on the left are fixed and the figures on the right are the quickest.

35min + 30min return
45min + 30min return
50min (no return)

Yeah.. also checked my answer this morning and came out at 3.10. Obviously missing a trick...

Four intrepid California owners, one an Ocean, one a Coast, one a 2 seat Beach and one a 3 seat Beach owner, decide to explore a cave. While deep underground there is a flash flood and water levels in the cave rapidly rise trapping the owners on a narrow ledge. Fortunately, one of the owners has brought with him emergency oxygen and two face masks that will connect to the one supply.

Two owners can escape together, and one can then return.

Due to various competency levels escaping from the ledge takes different owners different times.

The Ocean owner would take 30 minutes
The Coast owner would take 35 minutes
The 2 seat Beach owner would take 45 minutes
The 3 seat Beach owner would take 50 minutes

For example, if the Coast and 3 seat Beach owners escaped together, it would take 50 minutes; and then an additional 35 minutes for the Coast owner to return with the cylinder, a total round trip of 1hr 25 minutes.

In hours and minutes, what is the minimum level of oxygen required for all four California owners to escape safely?

Go on I'll buy it.

So the answers is 3 hours and 5 minutes. How can that be?

Your question was, "In hours and minutes, what is the minimum level of oxygen required for all four California owners to escape safely?"

Using your example, unless one of them can hold his/her breath for 50 minutes "the minimum level of oxygen required" for the Coast and 3 seat Beach owner to escape together is 100 minutes. Unless I'm wrong, which is highly likely, the minimum time for them all to escape based on everyone breathing would be 5 hours and 20 minutes.

Go on I'll buy it.

Your question was, "In hours and minutes, what is the minimum level of oxygen required for all four California owners to escape safely?"

Using your example, unless one of them can hold his/her breath for 50 minutes "the minimum level of oxygen required" for the Coast and 3 seat Beach owner to escape together is 100 minutes. Unless I'm wrong, which is highly likely, the minimum time for them all to escape based on everyone breathing would be 5 hours and 20 minutes.
On each outbound leg, there are two people using up the Oxygen for the slower of their times, unless the connecting tube is long enough for the faster one to take advantage of his or her greater speed.

Go on I'll buy it.

I can see the fundamental flaw in the way I phrased the question. However, the example of the timings I gave for two of the owners escaping, and one returning, should have rectified the flaw.

I can see the fundamental flaw in the way I phrased the question. However, the example of the timings I gave for two of the owners escaping, and one returning, should have rectified the flaw.
In hours and minutes, what is the total of the time wasted by forum members on answering the wrong question?

Should be zero, given that it was a multiple choice.:thumb
But Tom asked about the amount of Oxygen required whereas his, and many other answers were based on time taken, not Oxygen used.

But Tom asked about the amount of Oxygen required whereas his, and many other answers were based on time taken, not Oxygen used.
True, but apart from his error in the last sentence everything else pointed to the answer needing to be in units of time.
I wonder if anyone did manage to calculate the volume of oxygen required? One for @WelshGas to give a lead on!

True, but apart from his error in the last sentence everything else pointed to the answer needing to be in units of time.
I wonder if anyone did manage to calculate the volume of oxygen required? One for @WelshGas to give a lead on!
Must admit, I did think about asking @WelshGas for his input

Must admit, I did think about asking @WelshGas for his input
Too many variables, depending on individual body weights/size, amount of effort required to swim etc. Anyway I very much doubt if there is a portable cylinder large enough.

The question was - "In hours and minutes, what is the minimum level of oxygen required for all four California owners to escape safely?" The answer was indeed requested in units of time.

For all occupants to have escaped in safety they would all need to have oxygen whilst doing so. If two people have to escape at the same time using one shared oxygen supply then they will use twice as much as if one of them was using it. Hence the example given being incorrect. Given that the question states that they must all escape safely I just cannot see how that can be done in the time stated in the answer.

Now I must get back to my DIY.

Well hardly.
Anyway I've got to get on with with some DIY now before the boss gets back from church.

Hint:
Try to find a way to extract the two Beach owners together.

Solution given this afternoon.
So Tom, what’s the solution to the question you thought you were asking?

Well hardly.
Anyway I've got to get on with with some DIY now before the boss gets back from church.

Perhaps it is best to think of the oxygen tank as a very unsophisticated piece of emergency equipment. When turned on it releases the gas at a constant rate, sufficient for two people but no more.

Perhaps it is best to think of the oxygen tank as a very unsophisticated piece of emergency equipment. When turned on it releases the gas at a constant rate, sufficient for two people but no more.
This could develop into one of those “classic “ threads that might even challenge the all time greats “roof corrosion“ and “Beach vs Ocean”.

I don't know how I got to my answer...my maths failed me again.
My method this morning the same....but takes me to 3:10 so hurry up Tom!!!;)

Coast and Ocean leave 35
Ocean (or Coast) return 30 (35)
2 seat and 3 seat leave 50
Coast (or Ocean) return 35 (30)
Coast and Ocean leave 35

Total 185 or 3 hours 5 minutes

This could develop into one of those “classic “ threads that might even challenge the all time greats “roof corrosion“ and “Beach vs Ocean”.

Yes indeed ...

"If you drove your Cali into a wet cave with water rising how long will it take the roof to corrode completely ....."

Coast and Ocean leave 35
Ocean (or Coast) return 30 (35)
2 seat and 3 seat leave 50
Coast (or Ocean) return 35 (30)
Coast and Ocean leave 35

Total 185 or 3 hours 5 minutes

Question. If the Ocean doesn't do the second trip out (with the 2 and 3 seat) how does he return? The 2 or 3 seat would need to return to bring back the space breather

Question. If the Ocean doesn't do the second trip out (with the 2 and 3 seat) how does he return? The 2 or 3 seat would need to return to bring back the space breather
The Coast (who’s already escaped) returns to rescue the Ocean.

Back