• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So C and O leave = outwards = 35min
O returns = 30min (Coast saved)
2 and 3 seat leaves = 50min
C returns = 35min (2 and 3 seat saved)
C and O leave again! = 35min

:headbang 185min

The time saving is based on grouping the two slowest. Good one.....

That’s my brain training box ticked, what’s on telly?

Coast and Ocean leave 35
Ocean (or Coast) return 30 (35)
2 seat and 3 seat leave 50
Coast (or Ocean) return 35 (30)
Coast and Ocean leave 35

Total 185 or 3 hours 5 minutes
Or 5 hours and 5 minutes supply (or man-hours) of Oxygen (305 minutes)

Last edited:
Perhaps it is best to think of the oxygen tank as a very unsophisticated piece of emergency equipment. When turned on it releases the gas at a constant rate, sufficient for two people but no more.
Note to self. If anyone suggests a trip to a cave, I'm doing my hair that day.

I don’t think any of them would escape.
They‘d be too busy arguing the merits of the Beach vs Ocean!
( and we all know the answer to that one:thumb)

Coast and Ocean leave 35
Ocean (or Coast) return 30 (35)
2 seat and 3 seat leave 50
Coast (or Ocean) return 35 (30)
Coast and Ocean leave 35

Total 185 or 3 hours 5 minutes
angry.jpg
One "clever stuff", one "I like that" and one "angry". Not the usual set of responses!

Personally, I prefer the other game of guessing the year of Sainsbury’s.
:D

The Sexual gender of the owners would have an impact on Oxygen consumption as the male has greater muscle mass /kgm body weight than the female . Doesn't matter what they identify as it all depends on the XY or XX chromosome.

I prefer this one the other was too easy.
You were one of the two who were correct. How did you find the solution - had you seen something similar based on torches and weak bridges?

Four people come to a river in the night. There is a narrow bridge, but it can only hold two people at a time. They have one torch and, because it's night, the torch has to be used when crossing the bridge. Person A can cross the bridge in 1 minute, B in 2 minutes, C in 5 minutes, and D in 8 minutes. When two people cross the bridge together, they must move at the slower person's pace. The question is, can they all get across the bridge if the torch lasts only 15 minutes?

What I find fascinating about this puzzle is that even when people are given the answer, they often cannot find the solution. The solution is simple but not obvious.

You were one of the two who were correct. How did you find the solution - had you seen something similar based on torches and weak bridges?

Four people come to a river in the night. There is a narrow bridge, but it can only hold two people at a time. They have one torch and, because it's night, the torch has to be used when crossing the bridge. Person A can cross the bridge in 1 minute, B in 2 minutes, C in 5 minutes, and D in 8 minutes. When two people cross the bridge together, they must move at the slower person's pace. The question is, can they all get across the bridge if the torch lasts only 15 minutes?

What I find fascinating about this puzzle is that even when people are given the answer, they often cannot find the solution. The solution is simple but not obvious.
At first I came to 3h 10mins but that was with the quickest taking the oxygen back each time but I thought that there could be a more efficient way and so I looked at different less obvious pairings. It helped to make notes, can’t show my working out though because it has gone in the recycling. Thanks Tom, it’s good to stretch the brain occasionally.

How much Oxygen does the torch use?

Because I’ve worked out the first this is now easy. A&B cross (2mins), A returns with the torch (1min), C&D cross (8mins), B returns with the torch (2mins), A&B cross (2mins).
Total time is 2 + 1 + 8 + 2 + 2 = 15
As is obvious now, it’s getting your head around ones who have already crossed going back.

Last edited:
Yes indeed ...

"If you drove your Cali into a wet cave with water rising how long will it take the roof to corrode completely ....."
That is a hard one.
Depends on the amount of corrosion already present before drowning your California.
If none present, and the water has no oxygen in it, the roof will never corrode, because you need oxigen to get the process going.
If there is no corrosion present, and the water contains oxygen, it depends if the recall has already been applied.
If there already is corrosion, then the air in the bubbles under the paint will keep the process going.

Not a good question, because there are too many variables we need an answer to before we can start puzzeling.

Bu I will certainly not try to figure that one out.

Someone?? ...

(irony modus off)

If it doesn’t contain oxygen, whatever it is, it isn’t water! The clue is in the name... H2O.

Back