Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Travel Spot Headlamp Adaptors

I

Iain&Shani

VIP Member
Hi,
Final bit of the checklist was to get the headlight adaptors. Sorted but.......
where do they go????? The clear headlights on the Cali give no clues and the instructions tell me to visit an MOT centre

There has to be an easy way...... apart from not driving at night!!

The recommended way is to fit the VW headlight protectors which are marked for deflector location and come complete with a set. I don't believe it is recommended to stick deflectors directly on the headlight units...

Simon

Doesn't help you but I've gone with the Headlamp Protector route too.

I somehow came to the conclusion that they should go to the left of and just below dead center...

I presume these are similar to the "Travel-Lites" that are commonly available. They are available for as little as £4 a set.
If you get yourself level with the headlight (so that you can see the full circle) they should be attched so that upper right quadrant is just on line with the bulb centre on both. You can also lower the headlights from the dash control if people flash you, but I haven't had any problems.

I use these every year, there is no problem attaching these to the headlight glass/plastic. You don't need to press them on hard, just smooth them onto the unit, they will stay stuck on through all weathers, removal is easier then. When removing, try if you can to catch the thin clear sheet which the adhesive is on when peeling off. I use surgical spirit to remove any adhesive residue, DON'T use white spirit. My headlights have not been damaged in any way and the surgical spirit cleans them to super clear.

Hope this helps, enjoy your trip.

Hubert

In all of the years that I have been travelling to the continent I have never bought a set of these :shocked

All I do is shine my lights onto a wall so that I can see the beam pattern - I then use a small strip of electrical PVC tape to remove the left hand quadrant of the beam so as not to blind on coming drivers

Seems like the way to go for me anyway :thumb

m4rky said:
In all of the years that I have been travelling to the continent I have never bought a set of these :shocked

All I do is shine my lights onto a wall so that I can see the beam pattern - I then use a small strip of electrical PVC tape to remove the left hand quadrant of the beam so as not to blind on coming drivers

Seems like the way to go for me anyway :thumb

I do exactly the same, make sure you use electrical tape and not gaffa tape, electrical tape just peels off fine even after a 3 week holiday in the sun.

Sorry I know this is an old thread...

Does anyone have a picture of a facelift model with electrical tape applied (or VW deflectors applied to the headlight protectors) so that I can see the rough shape /position.

£2.50 a roll for electrical tape vs £50 for headlight protectors still the way to go for me. I hope i dont regret it :crazy

Thanks
Simon

ba3e4eza.jpg
utubuzuv.jpg
Hi I have the headlamp protectors but these pictures may help you

20130724_160049.jpg

We bought some and never used them - I looked at loads of UK cars at the ferryport and hardly any had them stuck on.

Back