Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

TWO California's STOLEN within the past 3 weeks !

It looks to me from the current flow diagram as thought the simple solution is to remove fuse SB23 from the fuse panel. This would appear to be the feed from ignition sw to starter. Without the fuse it won't start.

http://www.1946vw.co.uk/vwbooks/vw_info/T5_pdfs/T5_Basic_Elec_ 2005-7.pdf

Page 2. D is the ignition sw, B is the starter. The last twist of the key (the spring loaded part) will send juice to the starter motor via fuse SB23. Remove the fuse, it won't start.
Cool, if only there was a diagram for the T5.1.

I doubt it varies too much on basics like this.

Anyone care to confirm this?

There are t5.1 fuse diagrams in the download section

Locate the starter motor. Find the cable that triggers the solenoid (from the ignition switch). Snip it. Crimp in a couple of lengths of cable. Route them into the cab. Connect them to a switch. Hide the switch. Done.

Better still. Remove the cowling around the steering column. Locate the wire as mentioned above. add the switch.

If anyone has a wiring diagram I'll happily point out which cable you need.
side pod.....I'm surprised you didn't put a disclaimer on your post :)
If I was to try that I no doubt snip the wrong wire or finish up with bits left over :sad

There are t5.1 fuse diagrams in the download section
Looks like its the same fuse. Power goes via rail 50 in the fuse panel. Same as the T4 as it appens.

So, if somebody cares to verify this the it would appear this is an anti-theft aid. Pull the fuse. Better still, get a dummy that's blown and fit that in it's place.
Now, before the tea leaves read this, lets delete the thread.

It looks to me from the current flow diagram as thought the simple solution is to remove fuse SB23 from the fuse panel. This would appear to be the feed from ignition sw to starter. Without the fuse it won't start.

http://www.1946vw.co.uk/vwbooks/vw_info/T5_pdfs/T5_Basic_Elec_ 2005-7.pdf

Page 2. D is the ignition sw, B is the starter. The last twist of the key (the spring loaded part) will send juice to the starter motor via fuse SB23. Remove the fuse, it won't start.

I'm pleased to see that the info on our website is of some help.

http://www.vwbooks.co.uk/t5.htm will take you to the T5 information & downloads page.

Rod

Does anybody use one of these on their Cali?
12243493_10153416669932968_4363723221977670014_n.jpg

No. Does it fit?
What is it called?

Does anybody use one of these on their Cali?
View attachment 11002
Hi Larrylamb,
That gadget looks very interesting and could be another useful method of ruining the thief's day. Do you have one and if so how useful do you find it? Does it have any flaws? Can I please have details of where you can get one from and how much? I do love a good gadget!

Not got one yet, I've seen it tonight on the "VW T5 FORUM" looks like there are cheapish Chinese ones on Ebay but there is a guy on the forum who has copied it, made it bigger and better so it fits more vehicles and is selling them with a quality padlock for £25.

CC call it New for Old, because it is basically the one Insurance Company that covers your vehicle rather than, in most instances one Insurance company covering the vehicle to book value and the GAP Insurance company covering the Gap between book value and Invoice Value.
Check if you want but I believe an Ex-Demo vehicle sold by Dealer that registered the vehicle as their Demo vehicle is classed as a New Vehicle. There are an awful lot of pre-registered vehicles sold nowadays and I cannot see these Insurance companies or Dealers forgoing that market.:thumb
Apparently not. Our Cali was pre registered and that meant that we were not the first owners so could not have new for old. The vw garage included the GAP insurance for us when we found this out.

Apparently not. Our Cali was pre registered and that meant that we were not the first owners so could not have new for old. The vw garage included the GAP insurance for us when we found this out.
So the Caravan Club Insurance would not give you New for Old?
I did say to check. On my Wife's MX5, bought as an ex-demo, was covered for New for Old for 2years.. Same for my Land Rover Defender, also an ex-demo. Different Insurance companies.
Maybe CC confused pre-reg Demo with Dealer rental.

Bullock have 3 products...anyone have any experience? Absolute is cheaper than excellence....so excellence is possibly the b est but doesn't protect the spearing wheel.
If something is a simple deterrent I'd use it but fear theft is unavoidable if someone is a professional thief.

So the Caravan Club Insurance would not give you New for Old?
I did say to check. On my Wife's MX5, bought as an ex-demo, was covered for New for Old for 2years.. Same for my Land Rover Defender, also an ex-demo. Different Insurance companies.
Maybe CC confused pre-reg Demo with Dealer rental.
Nope. Spent ages arguing the point. I think its be because they cost >50k.

Bullock have 3 products...anyone have any experience? Absolute is cheaper than excellence....so excellence is possibly the b est but doesn't protect the spearing wheel.
If something is a simple deterrent I'd use it but fear theft is unavoidable if someone is a professional thief.

I got the Excellence one and it's always mounted. For professioanl thiefs probably is a toy, but I have to try to make thing for them as difficult as possible.

Your comment is very helpful but worrying. As I said in an earlier post, I spoke to two separate CC operators/agents and both assured me that my ex demo Cali was covered under their new for old clause. Do I now go back and keep asking different people until someone says that it isn't covered or do I accept their assurance that it is covered? Whether the answer is yes or no, I am no longer confident that my Cali will be replaced if written off. What to do?

Hi Larrylamb,
That gadget looks very interesting and could be another useful method of ruining the thief's day. Do you have one and if so how useful do you find it? Does it have any flaws? Can I please have details of where you can get one from and how much? I do love a good gadget!
Hi ArunAlec,
I see you have disagreed with my post. Thats fine. But I am a little confused. What do you disagree with? Do you have experience of these devices? or do you disagree that it might deter the opportunist thief?

Your comment is very helpful but worrying. As I said in an earlier post, I spoke to two separate CC operators/agents and both assured me that my ex demo Cali was covered under their new for old clause. Do I now go back and keep asking different people until someone says that it isn't covered or do I accept their assurance that it is covered? Whether the answer is yes or no, I am no longer confident that my Cali will be replaced if written off. What to do?
I would suggest you contact the CC club Insurance Customer Services regarding Section 11, Page 18 of your Insurance Booklet and ask for clarification in writing or email in respect of your vehicle, to put your mind at rest.

I would suggest you contact the CC club Insurance Customer Services regarding Section 11, Page 18 of your Insurance Booklet and ask for clarification in writing or email in respect of your vehicle, to put your mind at rest.
Thanks WelshGas,
An excellent suggestion. I will do just that and post the answer that I receive.

I would agree. It was the fact that the first registration was to the garage that created the problem.

Having spoken earlier this afternoon with Caravan Club Insurance - Customer Services, quoting my two previous enquiries, they have now confirmed in writing that New for Old cover, as per their policy wording, is in place in the event of a total loss claim for our ex dealer demonstrator Cali. They go on to state that this has not been invalidated by the fact that the dealer was the first registered owner/keeper of the vehicle as per the V5 form.
A very satisfactory result. Although none of us ever really find out how good our insurance is until we make a claim. So far at least, I am impressed with this policy.
Thanks again WelshGas for your suggestion.

Good result. All I can say, with regards to the CC Insurance, when our new caravan was written off on its first outing, within 6 weeks we had a brand new Model Year replacement on the drive. Ours was the end of the previous Model Year. Profuse apologies because of the delay as the factory shutdown over Christmas. I couldn't complain as the new caravan was even better than the old. We didn't have to replace any camping equipment as everything was undamaged.
Now your Insurance queries are sorted - Enjoy 2016.:thumb

I got the Excellence one and it's always mounted. For professioanl thiefs probably is a toy, but I have to try to make thing for them as difficult as possible.

Which size have you got to fit your Cali?

Which size have you got to fit your Cali?
Looks like now there is no sizes. When I got mine I asked the dealer for one for my Cali. I'll check the box this weekend.