Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Two-Tone ~ Vinyl Wrap vs Paint

R

Russell Haldane

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Owner of Candy White California and looking to go 'Two Tone' with lower half Baby Blue (looking to achieve retro scheme) an upper remaining as is.

Professional Paint by trusted Bodyshop with oven is £2,800.

Vinyl Wrap by trusted Provider/Installer using top notch 3M etc is £1,800, i.e. there £1,000 in it.

Vehicle needs to be battle ready for narrow lanes and day-to-day use.

Any advice/views/opinions from those that have or know a thing or two please?

£2,800! That makes the factory cost look like good value :)

Only comment I would make is to check with your insurer regarding any affect on premium with both options. I’m sure I have read on here that a wrap can affect your policy.

Only comment I would make is to check with your insurer regarding any affect on premium with both options. I’m sure I have read on here that a wrap can affect your policy.
You are correct re Insurance as a small scrape will require a complete panel rewrap and possibly more for a colour match being an issue.

You have probably read
We decided to have the bottom half of our van painted (VW) Teal Blue as part of the conversion.
A few month later I turned into a parking bay a bit too tightly and caught the front wing of the car next to me.
The side door looked quite a mess, but after a really good wash and polish the result was acceptable, and in fact it was only this year I arranged for a SMART repair to reduce & fill the crease.

After accident.jpg

After washing.jpg

Agree. We’d toyed with doing the same, ordering a white van and wrapping half. A colleague of my wife did this on a van they rent out, and it looked good. After a bit of research we found that several insurance companies wouldn’t touch it.

Around the same time we visited a VW van centre looking at Cali’s and noted two that had been wrapped, and stone damage at the front had left the wrap vinyl looking a bit shabby.