Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tyres - worth a check

• Thread starter cpjb@btinternet.com
  • Start date
cpjb@btinternet.com

cpjb@btinternet.com

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I had a a punctured tyre yesterday, and on removal the inside of the tyre was completely worn through.

It was the original Michelin supplied tyre with 45k covered, and the normal "ridge check" led me to believe that they had lots of life left.

Worth a check by running your finger around the inside. I would not have liked it to have given way at motorway speeds.

I had a a punctured tyre yesterday, and on removal the inside of the tyre was completely worn through.

It was the original Michelin supplied tyre with 45k covered, and the normal "ridge check" led me to believe that they had lots of life left.

Worth a check by running your finger around the inside. I would not have liked it to have given way at motorway speeds.
What age were they ? They recommend changing tyres if over 5 years old. Should have a date on the side wall .

Tyers need to be checked before EVERY trip !
Pressure , profile ,damage,....

I even check frequently on site , sticking head under Cali.
Also i change my winters to summers myself so , nose on the facts...
Tyers won't last , but most damage is caused by the driver itself.
Bumps in the raod , curbstones,...

Check,check and doublecheck!

But I use my van as an everyday vehicle - I'd never get to work with all that checking :shocked

However, Hotel California, I'm seriously impressed with your disciplined approach, and will try to be more vigilant in future.

But I use my van as an everyday vehicle - I'd never get to work with all that checking :shocked

However, Hotel California, I'm seriously impressed with your disciplined approach, and will try to be more vigilant in future.
Yes, check, check and double check. No more tyre kicking.

justice.jpg

Has it got 4 tyres (5when we check we still have a spare...)?! Works for me

I've now taken early retirement so that I can spend 3 hours a day checking, double checking and triple checking. In fact I'm going to take the wheels off and on before every journey just to be make sure everything's OK :thumb

I check my tyres frequently.

However with Albert so long away I was getting withdrawal symptoms so now every morning I go into my garage and check his winter tyres which are stored there :kiss

Not without wiping away a tear I might add .... such fond memories :(

I'm not trained by the gestapo but disipline is indeed the first thing.
And with check before every trip , i mean trip and not arround the corner to the Mac. Do. for burgers!
If using the Cali as daily , do a check monthly!
And not just tyres but a lot of other stuff to check...:Nailbiting

I am aware this is an old thread but I cam across while researching new tyres.

Thought worth a bump....

2013 Cali back from MOT with 23000 miles rear tyres worn on inside edge - not easy to pick up unless you peer underneath as rest of tread fine.

Back to finding the most appropriate tyres to put on for our use - four seasons moderate to low mileage - not a day to day car.

Ken

My rear tyres are exactly 50% worn after 85981km, so I am not complaining!

But I noticed with surprise when checking all tyres with an electronic depth gage, that the rears are more worn on the inside of the tread than at the centre or outside.
I have never come across this on any other car & wonder what the explanation might be.
Is there negative camber on the rear wheels?

In any case, apparently you need to check tread depth at the inaccessible inner edge to be sure to stay legal...

But I noticed with surprise when checking all tyres with an electronic depth gage, that the rears are more worn on the inside of the tread than at the centre or outside.
I have never come across this on any other car & wonder what the explanation might be.

In any case, apparently you need to check tread depth at the inaccessible inner edge to be sure to stay legal...

Guessing becose the rear takes a lot of weight ...

Last edited:

Rear axle can be out of alignment, same as the front. It does have an adjustment. Might be worth getting a 4 wheel alignment check.

Bought 4 Falken all season tyres today from Micheldever Tyres and had front and rear tracking done so hopefully all sorted, now to use them.

Btw 86km is very impressive....

Cheers
Ken

Back