Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Under-seat storage

Herman

Herman

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hi Cali people,

In a vehicle where every scrap of starage space is valuable, the space beside the drawer under the rear seat really annoyed me. As I could not fine a box to fit, I decided to make one: I considered sheet ally but it is expensive and leaves black marks on fingers so decided to use Correx sheet (like corrugated cardboard but plastic) which is available on Ebay in various colours and at Homebase in translucent (£10 for a metre square)
The grey plastic cover beside the seat drawer easily clips off its three retaining studs, and the box slides in alongside the drawer. I have put some pictures of the construction which should be self-explanatory. It can be held together with Gaffer tape or with 'Ratchet rivets', which look more professional. These are also off Ebay.
Its worth trying a mockup in cardboard before cutting the nice new plastic sheet. Use a craft knife for cutting and compress the fold lines with a straight edge before folding. Each end of the box ends up with three layers of plastic - fold the base up first, then the narrower side flap followed by the wider one. If you use rivets to hold it together, they are only long enough to go through the outer two layers. The narrow turnovers at the top give strength and rigidity.

Good project for a wet afternoon.

Storage box 2.JPG

Template.jpg

Rivets.JPG

Fold 1.JPG

Thanks for those instructions, very clear. I like things like that. At present we use that space for the ramps, but might have a play around :thumb

(Always wondered where that sheet came from too, never seen it apart from estate agents signs!)

thanks, what a great idea

Long items, like ramps,fishing rods,walking poles,etc

I just have to be careful when using the sliding table

Alan

Thats indeed a nice pice of kit....
If that goes in production and the forumshop it be a succes for sure!

There is also a VW drawer available for this space. A 'how to' post here by someone who fitted it http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/guide-fitting-the-small-under-bench-drawer.1768/
I find the through loading facility for long items very useful (e.g needed it yesterday for windsurf masts ) so have never bothered to fit the drawer. Might make the removable box though as can see occasions when it could be handy.
We have this drawer and it is very useful, you can fit quite a lot in it.

I'm really happy that I've found this thread. I'm thinking of a new lockdown project to do something similar. Has anyone else made any DIY solutions for this space? Pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Back