Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Update From Volkswagen Regarding Delivery of California's. Order a California now get in July!

Tomdbreeze

Tomdbreeze

Trade Advertiser
Vehicle
N/A
Hi Guys

We have had an update from Volkswagen Supply regarding the delivery and production of California in the Factory.

Volkswagen have come out and acknowledged they need to keep customers updated and I'm going to outline below what has been released from Volkswagen.

There are some parts of the California that are completed completely by hand this is the way that Volkswagen ensure the high quality of the production. Normally these processes are completed by a team of people at one time currently they are being fitted by one engineer at one time and then the next one does there part of the build. The current social distances measures that are currently in the factory due to COVID-19. Hannover is currently experiencing the highest rate of COVID in Germany at the moment.

Volkswagen out of fairness to customers are now going to build vehicles in order of tagging date with the factory, so this means if you ordered first you will be prioritised over people that ordered there vehicle after. They have acknowledged this might not be possible all the time, due to the supply of specific components that there could be a shortage of. Any vehicles that do slip due to this shortage of components will then have a special focus on and prioritisation from the factory once they become available.

Hope this information helps.

Also in other Good News!

ORDER a California Now and it should go into Production in June although if they are more successful in increasing production that lead time will reduce.
@Michael Breeze

Normally these processes are completed by a team of people at one time currently they are being fitted by one engineer at one time and then the next one does there part of the build.
I wonder what implications that has for quality?
I personally don't mind the delay (though this is the first time I've ever heard any explanation for it - thank you), as long as the quality at the end is not compromised.

Hi Guys

We have had an update from Volkswagen Supply regarding the delivery and production of California in the Factory.

Volkswagen have come out and acknowledged they need to keep customers updated and I'm going to outline below what has been released from Volkswagen.

There are some parts of the California that are completed completely by hand this is the way that Volkswagen ensure the high quality of the production. Normally these processes are completed by a team of people at one time currently they are being fitted by one engineer at one time and then the next one does there part of the build. The current social distances measures that are currently in the factory due to COVID-19. Hannover is currently experiencing the highest rate of COVID in Germany at the moment.

Volkswagen out of fairness to customers are now going to build vehicles in order of tagging date with the factory, so this means if you ordered first you will be prioritised over people that ordered there vehicle after. They have acknowledged this might not be possible all the time, due to the supply of specific components that there could be a shortage of. Any vehicles that do slip due to this shortage of components will then have a special focus on and prioritisation from the factory once they become available.

Hope this information helps.

Also in other Good News!

ORDER a California Now and it should go into Production in June although if they are more successful in increasing production that lead time will reduce.
@Michael Breeze
I would be glad if my September order went into production in June it would be progress from where I am today. Perhaps if I order another one today I will get it faster.

I would be glad if my September order went into production in June it would be progress from where I am today. Perhaps if I order another one today I will get it faster.
Might be worth talking to your dealer as the orders I placed in September didn’t have build weeks and now have a build month allocated by Volkswagen

I personally don't mind the delay (though this is the first time I've ever heard any explanation for it - thank you), as long as the quality at the end is not compromised.
I don’t believe will have any implications on quality it’s just in terms of the process and order the vehicles get built.

Not for the first time that Breeze have communicated on this forum. Effort involved? Not much. Appreciation by everyone here? Huge. :thumb

I for one will be driving to Poole to get my 6.1 serviced, even though I didn't buy it from there.
Agree 100% with this Breeze always give a slight glimmer of hope to me, in what is a very dark and miserable journey with many twists and turns along the great road to VW Ownership.

Not for the first time that Breeze have communicated on this forum. Effort involved? Not much. Appreciation by everyone here? Huge. :thumb

I for one will be driving to Poole to get my 6.1 serviced, even though I didn't buy it from there.
Thanks you very much for the kind words much appreciated.
Look forward to seeing you for servicing.

Agree 100% with this Breeze always give a slight glimmer of hope to me, in what is a very dark and miserable journey with many twists and turns along the great road to VW Ownership.
Thanks for the kind words

This is a very valid question and shouldn't be dismissed as easily as it has been done by Breeze - although I acknowledge it's a take it or leave it situation due to Covid.
Items that were assembled by a team of say 5 in 8 mins are now being done by a single worker in perhaps an hour. Apart from slowing the line, it means the workers likely have little experience in 80% of the tasks they are now completing. Also, pairs of hands make light work of cumbersome jobs, which now have to be managed singularly. There are reasons work was done in teams. Let's hope the build quality is maintained in a typically Germanic way.

This is a very valid question and shouldn't be dismissed as easily as it has been done by Breeze - although I acknowledge it's a take it or leave it situation due to Covid.
Items that were assembled by a team of say 5 in 8 mins are now being done by a single worker in perhaps an hour. Apart from slowing the line, it means the workers likely have little experience in 80% of the tasks they are now completing. Also, pairs of hands make light work of cumbersome jobs, which now have to be managed singularly. There are reasons work was done in teams. Let's hope the build quality is maintained in a typically Germanic way.
Hi
Wasn’t dismissing the statement on build quality at all, Volkswagen have said regarding this that historically component installations could be simultaneously at one time.
These process are are of course going to take longer than usual due to the current climate but will have the relevant experience and know how of the task that they will be asked to carry out.

We've previously had servicing and warranty work done at VW van centres in Hertfordshire and Kent. Which to the most part , has ranged from very average to appalling.
The last service we had done at Breeze Poole, which is a long drive from Watford. We decided to combine it with a couple of days holiday in Bournemouth. Breeze arranged to take us from the dealership to our holiday accommodation, and pick when the vehicle was ready, which was great,
BUT----- they found one small nail in a rear tyre and slight cut in the other. They told us we needed two new tyres. They were unable to source matching tyres, and as the cut was very minor, we put the spare on, and drove home. The local tyre depot said it was an easy repair and the cut was nothing to worry about, so £10 later we left. I agree with their opinion, and I'm not one to take chances over tyres.
Maybe Breeze were just being a littler over cautious, but it would have cost us a lot more than £10.
It hasn't put me off using Breeze next time,

As you can see in this California Production Video, many jobs are done simultaneously by multiple workers. If they are now doing 1 job at a time by 1 person then production time would increase significantly and in fact quality could increase.

As you can see in this California Production Video, many jobs are done simultaneously by multiple workers. If they are now doing 1 job at a time by 1 person then production time would increase significantly and in fact quality could increase.

Why would quality increase? One employee used to doing few jobs on the production line, with plenty of hands to help handle and steady larger items, now does many more jobs without the assistance. It's not as if a single employee is building a whole van and could take greater pride in the job.

Why would quality increase? One employee used to doing few jobs on the production line, with plenty of hands to help handle and steady larger items, now does many more jobs without the assistance. It's not as if a single employee is building a whole van and could take greater pride in the job.

looking at the video, each person does their own job. Now instead of say two of those jobs being done simultaneously, they now have to be done one after the other, still by the same bloke that originally did it. So it takes longer but quality shouldn't be any different.

Too many cooks spoil the broth - springs to mind. People not getting in each others way?

We've previously had servicing and warranty work done at VW van centres in Hertfordshire and Kent. Which to the most part , has ranged from very average to appalling.
The last service we had done at Breeze Poole, which is a long drive from Watford. We decided to combine it with a couple of days holiday in Bournemouth. Breeze arranged to take us from the dealership to our holiday accommodation, and pick when the vehicle was ready, which was great,
BUT----- they found one small nail in a rear tyre and slight cut in the other. They told us we needed two new tyres. They were unable to source matching tyres, and as the cut was very minor, we put the spare on, and drove home. The local tyre depot said it was an easy repair and the cut was nothing to worry about, so £10 later we left. I agree with their opinion, and I'm not one to take chances over tyres.
Maybe Breeze were just being a littler over cautious, but it would have cost us a lot more than £10.
It hasn't put me off using Breeze next time,
Interesting! I had a similar experience at Breeze Portsmouth....... pre MOT told my 2 rear tyres were going to fail MOT due to being “ cut to the cord”. Took it to my regular Tyre/MOT centre, said one tyre was worth replacing but couldn’t find anything wrong with the other. Passed MOT.

Back