Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Upstairs sleeping - Zonesleep and standard mattress or Comfortz 1"

Tigger

Tigger

Vehicle
Just browsing
Hi all,

We've just bought a zonesleep and it seems great but having to put it up/down every night seems tedious and takes up a lot of space in the boot. For those that have got a 1" memory foam mattress from Nick (Comfortz), how did the overall comfort compare with the standard mattress vs the Comfortz 1"

We expect to mainly sleep upstairs, leaving the dogs downstairs and are about to head off on a 3 week jaunt for which less faffage seems really desirable!

Really appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks
Tigs

I have the same. Switched from the standard plus zone sleep to comfortz plus zone sleep. Initially I thought it was slightly harder - but now don't notice the difference. Zzzz
After a day walking with the dogs and a glass or two with dinner... it's a great night's sleep - and good to know you can close the roof down without so much faff or stuff to find storage for.
Alison

I have the same. Switched from the standard plus zone sleep to comfortz plus zone sleep. Initially I thought it was slightly harder - but now don't notice the difference. Zzzz
After a day walking with the dogs and a glass or two with dinner... it's a great night's sleep - and good to know you can close the roof down without so much faff or stuff to find storage for.
Alison
Hi Alison, just gone for the same combination having seen and liked yours at Lower Loade. What do you put on top, besides yourself is their a protector for it or fitted sheet.?

Mike

Hi Alison, just gone for the same combination having seen and liked yours at Lower Loade. What do you put on top, besides yourself is their a protector for it or fitted sheet.?

Mike
Mike, I just use a normal fitted sheet for a large single / small double bed. But I think Brandrup or Comfortz do a fitted sheet?

Mike, I just use a normal fitted sheet for a large single / small double bed. But I think Brandrup or Comfortz do a fitted sheet?
Thanks Alison I shall have a look. Haven't seen one other than the one for the standard mattress which is two part and doesn't fit the zonesleep. If not better half is dab hand with the sewing machine.

Mike

Has anybody else had experience of the 1"comfortz memory phone mattress with a zonesleep topper?

Has anybody else had experience of the 1"comfortz memory phone mattress with a zonesleep topper?
We've been using the combination for three years - absolutely fine, with the added bonus that they can be left in the roof while travelling.

Alison
Hi Alison. Which zonesleep do you have? Is it a special for the Cali or standard size? And just to clarify - the zonesleep can't be left up with the standard mattress but can with the 1" Comfortz - yes?

What benefits does that combination have over the standard mattress on its own?

Thanks,
Dave

We have the zonesleep with the 1" mattress, makes upstairs much more comfortable and you can no longer feel the slats digging into your hips !

Hi Alison. Which zonesleep do you have? Is it a special for the Cali or standard size? And just to clarify - the zonesleep can't be left up with the standard mattress but can with the 1" Comfortz - yes?

Thanks,
Dave
Link below to club shop shows the 1" mattress and the Zonesleep which is specifically made.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/product-category/zonesleep-vw-california-matress-topper

Both can be left up top when the roof is closed.

I found my hips got a bit sore with the standard mattress. Nothing's perfect but a big improvement over the standard mattress.

Such a personal thing it's difficult. I'm a bit on the bony side.

Mike

Link below to club shop shows the 1" mattress and the Zonesleep which is specifically made.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/product-category/zonesleep-vw-california-matress-topper

Both can be left up top when the roof is closed.

I found my hips got a bit sore with the standard mattress. Nothing's perfect but a big improvement over the standard mattress.

Such a personal thing it's difficult. I'm a bit on the bony side.

Mike
Thanks Mike. I can't decide. Mrs DM and I find the mattress generally tolerable. Improvement would be good but my desirable goodies list is still long and a ÂŁ375 mattress upgrade is pricey unless it makes a big difference. It's clear that some folks think it does.

Thanks Mike. I can't decide. Mrs DM and I find the mattress generally tolerable. Improvement would be good but my desirable goodies list is still long and a ÂŁ375 mattress upgrade is pricey unless it makes a big difference. It's clear that some folks think it does.
Away in ours at the moment and definitely trial and error. As an example we prefer having a duvet which worked well when it was colder and we had the heating on. Now it's warmer heater is off but during the night when temperature drops would probably be better off in a light sleeping bag to keep the drafts off. Which is why it's difficult to be sure what's best for you. Only sensible route is try the bog standard and what you already have and then up your game accordingly when the need arises.

Mike

@DM have you considered a "self-inflating" camping mattress something like this :
http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/vango-trek-compact-self-inflating-sleeping-mat-d2424125?id_colour=133

Once you unfold and undo the valve they kind of breath in due to the foam they are cheap easy to pack and deploy. Ours are a little older now and do require some extra breaths, but they do provide an individual setting for each user. I'd be happy to demonstrate but you may be a little to far away. If the don't work for you then they are not that much of a spend and can be used in an awning as a matt or day bed while on the beach etc.

..Teejay..

Thanks,
Dave
I think your question might already be answered. But yes I use the Zonesleep mattress upstairs with the Comfortz 1" mattress meaning ot can be left in place.
If sleeping downstairs then I roll up the lower bed zonesleep with the duvet, under sheet and electric blanket and it stays on parcel shelf or in zonesleep bag all day to make it easy to roll out again...

• Thanks
Reactions: DM
Just to confirm, can the zonesleep remain upstairs on top of the mattress with the roof down? It does say on the advert on the club shop, (Please note the topper can not be left in place with the roof down).

Out of interest, anyone ever slept on just the Comfortz 1" mattress? How does it compare to the original VW upstairs?

We use the original vw and a zonesleep and remove the zonesleeep each time. We still find it quite firm and so wouldn't want to reduce the comfort with an even less comfy mattress. That being said, if the comfortz one is at least as good as the VW then we'd prefer the simplicity of that setup.

We sleep very well with VW mattress and a couple of beers .... hahaha I never thought about changing the mattresses even in my boat .... here work fine beers ....

Back