Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

USB-C Dash Charging

JuanVecino2023

JuanVecino2023

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Am I missing something, or is this the slowest charging port ever supplied?

My other cars charge much faster.

Do others use the cigarette lighter or 12V dash with an adapter to charge?

Agreed. They suck, but then so do the USB-C and fast USB-A outlets on my EF Delta 2. I thought these were 100W but they seem to output far less approx 10-15W. I use the 2 USB-A sockets behind the passenger seat (RHD) as these seem to be the fastest of all the connections in the van.

Agreed. They suck, but then so do the USB-C and fast USB-A outlets on my EF Delta 2. I thought these were 100W but they seem to output far less approx 10-15W. I use the 2 USB-A sockets behind the passenger seat (RHD) as these seem to be the fastest of all the connections in the van.
Yes, this is what I’ve found, the kitchen sockets far quicker. Might just use my Anker 12V USB for the dash.

Since you mentioned EF @Corradobrit - like you I’ve stashed in the boot & use the 12V socket to charge when using.

Do you use the app to toggle it on/off and does it need WiFi or 5G connectivity to do so? Finding trundling round the back & ferreting in the boot a faff to make a cuppa when it’s sheeting down in Wales.

Think I must be lucky. I have the vw fast charge cable and a 15 min journey and my phone gets 40% charge.

Think I must be lucky. I have the vw fast charge cable and a 15 min journey and my phone gets 40% charge.
Got the same oem VW cable and I don't have a problem, wasn't cheap though.

This one? Doesn’t look too bad value at a tenner.

Always buy an apple certified cable if you are using older phone (newer usb-c shouldn't be an issue. Hence why Apple pushed back on being forced to use usb-c due to lost revenue).

Third party Manufacturers pay a royalty to Apple - Apple can tamper behind the scenes within software updates, and know when a non-certified apple cable is being used.

Non certified cables might be quick when you buy them, but will sometimes lose speed after a software update. You also void any warranty on the phone.

What makes these more effective charging cables? From the description it seems they are just a lifestyle product to match the VW interior.
Doubt there is anything special about it, other than branding and looking like it’s a decent quality cable.

The murky world of car OEM cheep sockets.

According to the VW specs both front and rear ports supply the same 5V but with the front ones being USB C it technically means they COULD supply more amps, doesn't mean they do though.

I suspect both posts are identical in their output using USB 2.0 standard (2.5 Watts charging). Any difference in speed is possibly just wishful thinking. We have never noticed a difference. If you are plugged into the fronts ones AND connected to CarPlay, it will be slower charging than rear as you are using the phone at the same time.

USB sockets charge speed is highly dependant on the A being thrown out by them which then converts to Watts charging. You can use 12V lighter sockets of course but it depends on the plug you buy. Make sure to buy a high W/A one (see below). Cheap ones are no faster. Remember on the 6.1 ALL these come from the leisures now, not the starter.

Typically car manufacturers scrimp on this and just use the slowest ones which are 5V and 0.5A (2.5W), the same as your computer.

Better ports (USB 3.1, 0.9A, almost twice the charge speed) can go up to 4.5W, but these do not.

In a pinch the fastest way to charge a phone between EHU is to just use your inverter socket and a plug which will charge as fast as the plug you have.

This chart can help:

IMG_7367.jpeg

Last edited:
Got the same oem VW cable and I don't have a problem, wasn't cheap though.
How strange it charges slowly with Apple lightning cable. Speed shoild be donated by its power output. Not sure why a VW branded one would be quicker.

Possibly mine is slow as it’s a Max, so large battery. But it’s glacial compared to my other cars native USB-C ports.
What makes these more effective charging cables? From the description it seems they are just a lifestyle product to match the VW interior.
Agreed. Makes not a lot of sense.

Always buy an apple certified cable if you are using older phone (newer usb-c shouldn't be an issue. Hence why Apple pushed back on being forced to use usb-c due to lost revenue).

Third party Manufacturers pay a royalty to Apple - Apple can tamper behind the scenes within software updates, and know when a non-certified apple cable is being used.

Non certified cables might be quick when you buy them, but will sometimes lose speed after a software update. You also void any warranty on the phone.
Also on earlier iPhones, only Apple or certified aftermarket cables contain a chip to regulate charging. It communicates with the phone chip.

I’ve had aftermarket chargers fry iPhones in the past.

How strange it charges slowly with Apple lightning cable. Speed shoild be donated by its power output. Not sure why a VW branded one would be quicker.
Not all cables are created equal. Especially USB-C - there is a wide range in the specs. A USB-C phone charger cable is a slower than a USB-C mains charger. If it is USB-C to ligtening it will also depend on the chip as others have mentioned. Apple native should be fine. Apple copy is variable. We keep to Apple or makes like Anker.
Possibly mine is slow as it’s a Max, so large battery. But it’s glacial compared to my other cars native USB-C ports.
Depends on what your other car manufacturer decided to fit. Some fit the faster charge ones, especially if a newer make, some don't as a cost saving. The slow ports are a lot cheaper.

Has anyone noticed when using the USB sockets at the front of the kitchen unit to charge their phone that they get a pulsing effect (i.e. charges for a second or so, stops and the repeats). I can't quite isolate the reason. I have a Samsung Android phone, my wife has an Apple iphone and this pulsing effect doesn't occur on her phone. I've noticed it happening when my phone battery is at a very low charge (5%)but not when at a higher charge (>50%). Cable type makes no difference. It doesn't occur when charging by any other mode (12v adapter, 240 v adapter, dash board chargers). Can anyone explain this phenomenon?

Has anyone noticed when using the USB sockets at the front of the kitchen unit to charge their phone that they get a pulsing effect (i.e. charges for a second or so, stops and the repeats). I can't quite isolate the reason. I have a Samsung Android phone, my wife has an Apple iphone and this pulsing effect doesn't occur on her phone. I've noticed it happening when my phone battery is at a very low charge (5%)but not when at a higher charge (>50%). Cable type makes no difference. It doesn't occur when charging by any other mode (12v adapter, 240 v adapter, dash board chargers). Can anyone explain this phenomenon?

Might be to do with the thickness / quality of wire that VW use….

We had issues with our Dometic CFX35 fridge when plugged into factory 12v socket - would cut out every now & again. So ran a thicker wire direct from leisure battery and solved the issue.

Back