Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Volkswagen and Ford team up to build vans

Maybe an attempt to get around Trumps tariffs on German products.
Ford vans drive well but that is all. Would never buy a Transit.

Just got rid of our transit van for the business total waste of time never again.

I just can't wait for the comparisons between the VW "California" and the Ford "Essex" ...:sad

Wonder how they will resolve the conflict between VW vans which have a rep for NOT rusting away, and Ford vans which excel at it!

It'll never be a problem for me as I intend to keep my Cali till I'm too old to drive!

Wonder how they will resolve the conflict between VW vans which have a rep for NOT rusting away, and Ford vans which excel at it!

It'll never be a problem for me as I intend to keep my Cali till I'm too old to drive!
maybe they have been collaborating in secret for years, Ford being in charge of California roofs :bananadance2

I really hope this doesn't happen. Whilst I don't have a Cali (my parents do so don't shoot me!) I do have a T5.1 Highline Kombi. Before I bought this, I considered the Transit Sport Custom as I could have bought one about a year old rather than a three year old Transporter. However, I wasn't really impressed with the fit and finish, yes I know they are both based on a commercial vehicle but the Ford was too van like for me - if that makes any sense at all. This is my daily driver and ferries four kids to school every morning (not all mine I hasten to add!). Also, I understand that parts of the bodywork, like the wheel arches are just cheapie fibreglass. Overall, I found the quality of the Ford a bit lacking and so bought the Dub and haven't looked back.

Are Ford Transits not built in Turkey? According to our AA man they are turkeys when reliability long term is considered. I know that cooperation and collaboration can reduce costs but VW seem desperate if they think this is a good idea.

Back