Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Volkswagen Boo Boo with gas hob !!!!!!!!!

This is just temp option , I'm looking into putting smaller 42 mm pan hob ring , but think won't make contact with electrode an thermocouple.
Also screw hole would be different .
Out of curiosity, what diameter are both your burner sizes ?? , and are yours butane or propane ?
All VW California gas hobs run on Campingaz which is Butane, and they are all the same size as yours.
I have used the Campingaz at external temperatures of -10c, as the cylinder is carried within the vehicle and is insulated within the water tank. So, as long as the ambient temperature within the vehicle is 15-20c the gas will still function.

To confirm the issue , can get round it if just using 1 saucepan only as have both hands free 1 to hold handle of saucepan or raise it higher , the other to stir the tinned food .

To confirm my issue to doubting thomas s and jokers .
The issue is prominent when both a frying pan , and saucepan used same time .
With 1 person controlling both pans ,
I will add if 2 people controlling a pan each does not arise .
So with frying pan e.g cooking steak 1 hand needed to hold frying pan at all times , which only leaves 1 hand to both hold the saucepan and stir it , impossible do with 1 hand , this may have in it , tinned potatoes peas , carrots .
If was gently heating not problem , could be left to own devices ticking over .

But with it instantly at boiling point major problem , when trying control large frying pan with oil , steak an onion in it !!!!!!!
Only leaving 1 hand free .

Sure some are referring to one pan use only , or 2 people controlling a pan each .

Either way boils down fact, so much easier if a simmer small ring for 2nd saucepan .

Hope this clarify s problem,
2 pans in use , 1 person controlling both ,
Saucepan viciously boiling away !!!!!!!
Bit of a problem

In fact I go far say as a safety hazard.
1. Person an 2 pans , dangerous , with no simmer
And no control of a fiercely, boiling saucepan full of food .
I will raise this safety hazard issue with volkswagen and dometic .
The stove is totally unfit for purpose for 1 person and 2 pans on the go .

If volkswagen had fitted a 42mm simmer ring , this safety hazard would not be prominent .
I will take up them under health an safety act .Did volkswagen ever do a risk assessment on 1 person using, 2 hobs ??
Obviously Not .

I
The stove is totally unfit for purpose for 1 person and 2 pans on the go .

If volkswagen had fitted a 42mm simmer ring , this safety hazard would not be prominent .
I will take up them under health an safety act .Did volkswagen ever do a risk assessment on 1 person using, 2 hobs ??
Obviously Not .
I'm still sure all californias should be recalled back , and refitted with 42 mm simmer ring on safety grounds.

• Haha
Reactions: Sad
If you lodge that complaint, why not go to town and ask for induction hobs to be fitted? I’m sure VW will absolutely realise the error of their ways.

That said, McDonalds had to put ‘warning - contents may be hot’ on coffees - this is up there with that…

The stove is totally unfit for purpose for 1 person and 2 pans on the go

Oh. My. God. I think you’ve just discovered why VW only fitted one burner in the T7 California. They’re clearly trying to sweep this scandal under the carpet.

To confirm the issue , can get round it if just using 1 saucepan only as have both hands free 1 to hold handle of saucepan or raise it higher , the other to stir the tinned food .

To confirm my issue to doubting thomas s and jokers .
The issue is prominent when both a frying pan , and saucepan used same time .
With 1 person controlling both pans ,
I will add if 2 people controlling a pan each does not arise .
So with frying pan e.g cooking steak 1 hand needed to hold frying pan at all times , which only leaves 1 hand to both hold the saucepan and stir it , impossible do with 1 hand , this may have in it , tinned potatoes peas , carrots .
If was gently heating not problem , could be left to own devices ticking over .

But with it instantly at boiling point major problem , when trying control large frying pan with oil , steak an onion in it !!!!!!!
Only leaving 1 hand free .

Sure some are referring to one pan use only , or 2 people controlling a pan each .

Either way boils down fact, so much easier if a simmer small ring for 2nd saucepan .

Hope this clarify s problem,
2 pans in use , 1 person controlling both ,
Saucepan viciously boiling away !!!!!!!
Bit of a problem
Can I be forthright and no longer a joker; guilty as charged and my apologies.

It’s a campervan and one step removed from a campfire. Embrace the culinary shortfalls and enjoy the experience?

Sensible cheap solution: remove one of your offending gas burners and replace with a trangia gas burner unit, it is completely self contained, runs off a butane/propane mix cartridge and is infinitely controllable, or buy a trangia and have three rings, 2 for boiling and 1 for simmering

I had supper in the New Forest - the other 1/2 cooked on the hob. I am just reporting still alive no burns and not set the van on fire - no forest fire started. Just love the van.

Sensible cheap solution: remove one of your offending gas burners and replace with a trangia gas burner unit, it is completely self contained, runs off a butane/propane mix cartridge and is infinitely controllable, or buy a trangia and have three rings, 2 for boiling and 1 for simmering
He’d need to be an octopus to hold, stir and be in control of three pans.

To be fair to the OP and I have also chucked in a few silly comments myself so apologies. Clearly this issue is important to him and there are many other posts where I look and think people are posting with trifling issues.

I really do think an induction plate adapter would do the trick. They can be had for around a tenner and I used mine when I wanted to reheat a casserole and it did a great job of dissipating the heat to enable me to warm it up slowly.

Maybe give it a try.

To be fair to the OP and I have also chucked in a few silly comments myself so apologies. Clearly this issue is important to him and there are many other posts where I look and think people are posting with trifling issues.

I really do think an induction plate adapter would do the trick. They can be had for around a tenner and I used mine when I wanted to reheat a casserole and it did a great job of dissipating the heat to enable me to warm it up slowly.

Maybe give it a try.

It's not about the problem itself, but the OP keeps on ranting about it against us. We are not at fault here. The only way to counter this is with humour.
If you have a problem, we can try to help you out. But if you keep on blaming VW against us, we can't help you with that.
That is why this post is going the way it's going.

While having enjoyed this thread and the humour, I do have one sensible observation for the OP based on many years of camp cooking on every type of gas/spirit/charcoal appliance possible, cooking performance and the ability to control the heat transfer to food items is all down to the quality and weight of the pans being used.

No apologies from me I’m afraid, in fact I’d like to thank the OP for what is obviously a fantastic windup.
But all good jokes must run their course and wither so let’s please draw a line under this one. :thumb

Maybe give it a try.

Thanks for the tip.. I might get one of those for my Beach!

Trangia Meths burner is more portable, but less contolable. Ideal for bean welding.

Let's see what cali cris has say about the problem on u tube be interesting.
Under heading fitting gas bottle to california , have left comment .
Not bottle needs review , it's the cooker .
Every cooker I no has simmer setting, for safety reasons .
Unfortunately not this cooker

Yes it is only camping as some have said .
But paying 65k plus , does not excuse a badly designed cooker not capable of simmering.

Stand up be counted I say .
Contact volkswagen ASAP

After recommending the Hairy Bikers’ One Pot Wonders for the new Multivan California, James Martin’s Fast Cooking may be the perfect compliment for the T6.1 Ocean…

IMG_7760.jpeg

• Haha
Back