Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Bike Rack for T6

Must say I do prefer the VW rack ( new or old style!) to tow bar but that just personal choice....we have found it really easy to use and it's always on the van ready to go...others have a different view I'm sure !

The biggest problem is trying to access the rear of the van when bikes are mounted. That's one of the main reasons I changed to a sliding towbar rack.
Plus, I didn't want it on the van when not in use and a quick release detachable towbar has worked out miles better. But hey, its horses for courses:cool:

Agreed that some want bike rack and preferably one that does the job and looks good. Others want one on towbar. That is agreed.
Issue here is the damned ugly looking T6 rack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The biggest problem is trying to access the rear of the van when bikes are mounted. That's one of the main reasons I changed to a sliding towbar rack.
Plus, I didn't want it on the van when not in use and a quick release detachable towbar has worked out miles better. But hey, its horses for courses:cool:
Soulstyledevon Never mind the bike rack ! Where are your photos taken ??? Looks fabulous.... if my Cali takes me to places like that who cares what the bike rack looks like as long as bikes are on it....Paul

I also keep my rack on all the time as I don't want the hassle of taking it on and off every time I want a quick bike ride. There's also the issue of storage and potential damage moving it around all the time.

I think the VW T5 bike is the best looking rack out there by far. It follows the lines of the van nicely and imho even enhances the "adventure" look of the van. I can't see why they didn't just subtly alter it for the T6. After all, most of the changes to the T6 itself seem pretty subtle. Instead, they seem to have completely redesigned it and come up with something that, to me, looks like a cross between the cheap Fiamma racks and a bit of scaffolding attached to the back.

Maybe the passage of time soften my view (as it often does with new cars) but I doubt it.

Mark
This is interesting. ... VW Subtly altered the T5 and called it a T6 and alot of peeps criticised VW and were disappointed that the design wasn't more radical..... So here we have a design change of a bike rack yes a bike rack and peeps are saying why didn't VW keep it the same design as the T5 one..... I give up!.. 'Nowt as Quire as Folk' Happy camping Paul

The Arera tailgate version (linea) may well fit the T6 as well as the T5 as I doubt the top to bumper distance has changed. Might need slightly different attachment plates on the top if the radius of the tailgate has changed. Takes me less than 5 mins to put on or take off.
cbf71a8cfe5676c38b64e26489d80870.jpg

This is interesting. ... VW Subtly altered the T5 and called it a T6 and alot of peeps criticised VW and were disappointed that the design wasn't more radical..... So here we have a design change of a bike rack yes a bike rack and peeps are saying why didn't VW keep it the same design as the T5 one..... I give up!.. 'Nowt as Quire as Folk' Happy camping Paul
As one of those complaining about the design of the T6 bike rack I can assure you I never complained about lack of change in the T6. Evolution not revolution is normally the best way to go. This thread purely pointed out that the T6 rack is ugly and the T5 was shaped to fit. It becomes an argument between rear mounted racks and towbar racks and opinions by other people on other threads about design change! Astonishing ... :)

Soulstyledevon Never mind the bike rack ! Where are your photos taken ??? Looks fabulous.... if my Cali takes me to places like that who cares what the bike rack looks like as long as bikes are on it....Paul

Top picture is the Dolomites, Italy. On the road to Madonna Di Campiglio. Fantastic summer cycling. The have a cycle shuttle bus, which you can hop on and off along a 30mile route. Choose the mountain road, or the adjacent cycle path.
The bottom picture is France aroundChamonix.

Yes the T6 cycle rack is fugly, but then aren't they all...???

As one of those complaining about the design of the T6 bike rack I can assure you I never complained about lack of change in the T6. Evolution not revolution is normally the best way to go. This thread purely pointed out that the T6 rack is ugly and the T5 was shaped to fit. It becomes an argument between rear mounted racks and towbar racks and opinions by other people on other threads about design change! Astonishing ... :)

Hi Mike agree totally.... I'm very very pleased with my T6.... already planning our nxt trip.... That said I would have bought a T5 if there wasn't such a thing as a T6... Paul

Hi Mike agree totally.... I'm very very pleased with my T6.... already planning our nxt trip.... That said I would have bought a T5 if there wasn't such a thing as a T6... Paul
Excellent! That is the main thing. Once you have your vehicle of choice and have it sorted it's all about the trips. Some great inspiration on this board. Enjoy :)

The entire vehicle, an afterthought? Well, it's going to be very hard to win you round then with a sweeping statement like that. If we rename it the T5.2, is the end product still an afterthought?

Mr Tommy Gun I'm very happy calling my New T6 (the updated version of the T 5.1) a T5.2... not had it long but love the vehicle and the lifestyle it affords... I wanted a California didn't want to buy a New Old model T5.1 so waited a short while and bought a T6 (T5.2)...as I didn't want to wait longer for a T7 which I'm sure some will call a T5.3..........just saying..

I quite liked T2 Judgement Day ... T's3,4&5 were all pretty shocking. Oh hang on...I've gone off thread too oops. I'll be back!!!:confused:

Mr Tommy Gun I'm very happy calling my New T6 (the updated version of the T 5.1) a T5.2... not had it long but love the vehicle and the lifestyle it affords... I wanted a California didn't want to buy a New Old model T5.1 so waited a short while and bought a T6 (T5.2)...as I didn't want to wait longer for a T7 which I'm sure some will call a T5.3..........just saying..

Hi Paul,

I absolutely agree mate & good on you. That's what it should be about - getting out there & enjoying it. That's my plan when it arrives.

The T6 (as you know) is no worse a camper than the T5/T5.1, so I don't see the problem. Sounds like you are having a ball with yours & I do enjoy reading about that!

Alas...some people, it seems, wanted considerably more from the T6 & are prepared to label it an afterthought & down it a bit. It's a forum so folk can speak their minds, absolutely, but if a person is going to knock something - they could at least present some facts to help readers understand why it's an 'afterthought' in their opinion.

The only downside to the T6 on paper that I'm aware of is that I believe it comes with a smaller fuel tank - if that's the case then that aspect is a backwards step.
That is all the negatives I'm aware of.
Like you said, they could have called it the T5.2. I'd be just fine with that. It's just a name & it's the end product that counts.

Cheers :thumb
Tom

Last edited:
The Arera tailgate version (linea) may well fit the T6 as well as the T5 as I doubt the top to bumper distance has changed. Might need slightly different attachment plates on the top if the radius of the tailgate has changed. Takes me less than 5 mins to put on or take off.
cbf71a8cfe5676c38b64e26489d80870.jpg

Thanks Atera one looking like the best alternative.

Thanks Atera one looking like the best alternative.
Mike . Owen is correct the profile at the top of the tailgate has changed.. so which ever you choose it needs to be designed for a T6... Paul

Mike . Owen is correct the profile at the top of the tailgate has changed.. so which ever you choose it needs to be designed for a T6... Paul
Thanks Paul. If I go that route I will give Atera time to design one :)

Its all about the trips buddy, enjoy:thumb
There is a life of adventure out there, with a California.

Switzerland

Austria

Italy

Its all about the trips buddy, enjoy:thumb
There is a life of adventure out there, with a California.

Switzerland

Austria

Italy

Cheers... recognise the Italian photo... Stelvio Pass... its on my list to cycle.... So looking forward to trips like that....

Cheers... recognise the Italian photo... Stelvio Pass... its on my list to cycle.... So looking forward to trips like that....

Yes, its Stelvio.
I want to go back with my road bike and try and to climb it. I went earlier this year but I only had a mountain bike on the van and didn't think it was up to the task. Lots of people cycling up the pass:cool:
If you drive down the Swiss side Umbrail pass. I can recommend a campsite called Camping Muglin:

http://online.campingmuglin.ch/index.php

You may need to convert text. But excellent facilities and Val Mustair not to far. A couple of restaurant, but if you want a cheaper meal, just cross the Italian border, 5 mins walk.
Very quiet and relaxing:cool:

Hi Paul,

I absolutely agree mate & good on you. That's what it should be about - getting out there & enjoying it. That's my plan when it arrives.

The T6 (as you know) is no worse a camper than the T5/T5.1, so I don't see the problem. Sounds like you are having a ball with yours & I do enjoy reading about that!

Alas...some people, it seems, wanted considerably more from the T6 & are prepared to label it an afterthought & down it a bit. It's a forum so folk can speak their minds, absolutely, but if a person is going to knock something - they could at least present some facts to help readers understand why it's an 'afterthought' in their opinion.

The only downside to the T6 on paper that I'm aware of is that I believe it comes with a smaller fuel tank - if that's the case then that aspect is a backwards step.
That is all the negatives I'm aware of.
Like you said, they could have called it the T5.2. I'd be just fine with that. It's just a name & it's the end product that counts.

Cheers :thumb
Tom
Just to be clear when I mentioned 'afterthought' I was only referring to the rack as it doesn't look quite as good as the older VW rack....that's it..my view is that the T6 looks wonderful and as many have said its all about getting out there whatever 'T' you may have ( or be getting!) ..enjoy

Just to be clear when I mentioned 'afterthought' I was only referring to the rack as it doesn't look quite as good as the older VW rack....that's it..my view is that the T6 looks wonderful and as many have said its all about getting out there whatever 'T' you may have ( or be getting!) ..enjoy

Hi Neilgbj,

Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated :thumb
I enjoyed reading the thread. Peronally, I have no issue whatsoever on folks opinions on items such as these. Folk should just draw their own conclusions, absolutely (it's just an accessory!) I just wanted to read & learn about the different options out there (for tow bars in my case. I prefer the increased rear window visibility, that's all.)

It is disappointing when other folk (who probably have questionable experience of the T6,) decide to use a bike rack as an excuse to take a pop at the vehicle itself. There was no justification o_O , just shoot from the hip like Wyatt Earp (but without the accuracy...)

Off topic a bit, but nice speaking to you,
Cheers
Tom

Last edited:
Looks to me like the arms on that T6 rack are on the wrong way round?
I think that the wheel attachments look the wrong way round too, the angles for the straps look all wrong ( edit. Now guessing they must slide to the insides of the wheels.) the whole thing probably looks much better when properly adjusted rather than straight rows of attachments.
The straps for the wheels are similar to the ones that we had on roof mounted thule bars (not on the Cali) and they are much less fiddly than the straps and buckles on the T5 rack.
It might look daft to some, having a rack with no bikes on, but plus point is we'll never drive away with the tailgate wide open, the empty back window is too obvious when used to rack or bikes being there.

Back