Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Bike Rack for T6

hugely controversial Tom
Ok I will kick it off. I don't see why I would put an ugly rack on the back as opposed to the old one which I reckon enhanced the look. Even if it is going to have a muddy bike on it.
Why would you accept that if there was a choice ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just check out the Fiamma rack.
I sometime only take 2 bikes, and it can be shrank for that
Then , when I take three, I add a bit.
It takes me about 10 mins to put on and off,
As I quite like not to have it on, if I am not cycling
Not the best pic, but shows it in three mode
And it is eaisier to adjust to make sure you can lift the roof without hitting it

image.jpeg

And
I hired a van with a VW rack, and , if the roof was up you couldn't lift the rear door.
I bought a Cali because it is so well thought out, so neat and eaisy to use, so flexible.
But their rack isn't, .....Fiamma works for me (I don't have shares)

I still can't make up my mind.

I don't really care about what it looks like. I'd just need a carrier that can take 4 bikes.

We've got a fixed tow bar on our T6 order so either is an option. I just can't decide which!

If you've gone for the towbar and need to carry 4 bikes sounds to me like you want the towbar rack!

The main drawback with the tow bar mounted carriers is that they're pretty big and I won't want to drive round with it all the time...

You've then got to store the thing. I'd rather not clutter my garage any more.

The attraction with the rear hatch mounted carrier is that you can leave them on.

You'd have thought it would be an easy choice. I've umm'd and arr'd more about this than I did when spec'ing the bus.

The main drawback with the tow bar mounted carriers is that they're pretty big and I won't want to drive round with it all the time...

You've then got to store the thing. I'd rather not clutter my garage any more.

The attraction with the rear hatch mounted carrier is that you can leave them on.

You'd have thought it would be an easy choice. I've umm'd and arr'd more about this than I did when spec'ing the bus.
:) I'm just as bad. My issue is also storage as I live in a flat. Got covered parking and could d lock a tow ball rack near my slot when not in use but not ideal. Reckon when I finally get my act together it will be a removable tow bar to future proof van/give that option and by the time I need one there will be a properly designed T6 one. Or as Cyclopath suggests the Flamma one.

Ok I will kick it off. I don't see why I would put an ugly rack on the back as opposed to the old one which I reckon enhanced the look. Even if it is going to have a muddy bike on it.
Why would you accept that if there was a choice ?

Michael when you say choice, what is the choice? I thought only the new rack was the option as far as I understand the old T5 rack doesn't fit. Correct me if wrong.

Perhaps lost on me but I looked at pics of both and don't see a massive difference. The new 'Quasimodo rack' looks fine to me.

You heard it hear first though. With slowing iphone sales Apples design department are rumoured to be on the case of the new VW California iRack. A design masterpiece so hold fire.

Check out the Thule options but you do need a tow bar for this, either removable or permanent - I went for the Removable option to future proof the vehicle and increase its flexibility - at least with the Thule it takes about ten minutes to fix and you can see out the back and not have to lift bike above your shoulders if that is a problem for you

I have no shares!

Its down to choice at the end of the day and fit for purpose

Good luck all!!

Michael when you say choice, what is the choice? I thought only the new rack was the option as far as I understand the old T5 rack doesn't fit. Correct me if wrong.

Perhaps lost on me but I looked at pics of both and don't see a massive difference. The new 'Quasimodo rack' looks fine to me.

You heard it hear first though. With slowing iphone sales Apples design department are rumoured to be on the case of the new VW California iRack. A design masterpiece so hold fire.

Tom this is getting complicated. My point probably not clearly made was that there should be a proper choice.
Suffice it to say I would not contemplate the New T6 rack.

I must be missing something, looks ok to me.

On Hotelcalifornia's preview of the T6's in Nov he showed a picture of a T6 with the old bike rack on. http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/magic-t6-sathurdayafthernoon-at-ccn-amersfoort.11947/
Does that mean we can just choose?

How easy are the bike racks to remove? I have Thule 929 for four bikes but I might sell it and buy a VW one. With the hook mounted holders it is easy to drive into other cars, don't ask me how I know that:) also I guess it hinders the rear view camera?

My Fiamma takes only a few mins to fit or remove
And I have worked out that I need one big bar on the parking sensors, and I won't smash it....or whatever I am reversing up to

Clearly not a popular viewpoint, but I prefer the look of the T6 bike rack to the T5 version.

I make the assessment solely from a logistical aspect though: the weight distribution at the bottom now going via a horizontal bar, as opposed to directly onto the door of the van, would make me less concerned about long-term damage while the wheel holders and cross bar supports look strong and supportive.

I don't think either of them would be a great addition in terms of rear view but the T6 version looks like an improvement in terms of practicality.

Sorry I have to disagree, I realise we all have our own taste in things but I saw one of these at a dealer last week and it looks worse in the flesh than it does in the images. The old T5 bike looked as if it was designed for the T5 however and actually looked good, the T6 one looks like a bad third party one and not the sort of thing you would want to leave on the van when not carrying bikes. I am just glad I made the decision to have a factory fit tow bar fitted.

Sorry I have to disagree, I realise we all have our own taste in things but I saw one of these at a dealer last week and it looks worse in the flesh than it does in the images. The old T5 bike looked as if it was designed for the T5 however and actually looked good, the T6 one looks like a bad third party one and not the sort of thing you would want to leave on the van when not carrying bikes. I am just glad I made the decision to have a factory fit tow bar fitted.
I disagree. I think my T6 bike rack looks pretty cool and goes with the van well. Apparently there are two T6 bike rack versions and the first one looks pants.

I disagree. I think my T6 bike rack looks pretty cool and goes with the van well. Apparently there are two T6 bike rack versions and the first one looks pants.
I'm warming to the new one.
Haven't seen two new versions just the one.
Any pics of the first?

Hi. Is yours the one pictured at the start of this thread? If not, could you post a picture of what it looks like?

Picked up our new Beach on Monday and was regretting ordering the bike rack having read this thread. I figured we'd stick with it given it might not look great but from a practical point of view fulfilled a purpose. Have to say I was relieved and pleased when the dealer reversed the van up to the showroom - thought it looked fine (dare I say it thought it looked great) and as bike racks go it couldn't be easier to use.

Picked up our new Beach on Monday and was regretting ordering the bike rack having read this thread. I figured we'd stick with it given it might not look great but from a practical point of view fulfilled a purpose. Have to say I was relieved and pleased when the dealer reversed the van up to the showroom - thought it looked fine (dare I say it thought it looked great) and as bike racks go it couldn't be easier to use.
Excellent! I'd love to see more photos of it, if you don't mind. I'm considering one when my Beach arrives but it's a chunk of money and want to be sure.

As I said earlier, I think the T6 version looks great - and better for the van.

Excellent! I'd love to see more photos of it, if you don't mind. I'm considering one when my Beach arrives but it's a chunk of money and want to be sure.

As I said earlier, I think the T6 version looks great - and better for the van.

Back