Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Bike Rack for T6

Just seen a T6 bike rack on the back of a Kombi at our local dealer, the salesman confirmed that they are not interchangeable with each other. I totally agree that is looks terrible and ugly. Very square and clunky, also it sits on the back in a vertical position and does not fit with the angle of the tailgate like the T5 one does. It looks like some cheap aftermarket accessory.

Poor show VW!

Does anyone know if the rack will take Fat Bike sized wheels / tyres. ThisI is my SE Bikes F@R

se-bikes-fe-fat-bike

On the German Cali Board you will find a post where a guy who is in the order process tells that is dealer said that VW will change the rack design (more looking like the T5 one). We will see if this will be confirmed by others

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

On the German Cali Board you will find a post where a guy who is in the order process tells that is dealer said that VW will change the rack design (more looking like the T5 one). We will see if this will be confirmed by others

Good news indeed. :) fingers crossed.

Tim your tyre will not fit right into the profile and a 2nd thought... what is the circumference of your tyre and wheel (cross section) just wondering if the straps would be long enough to engage in the fastener. ....

Tim your tyre will not fit right into the profile and a 2nd thought... what is the circumference of your tyre and wheel (cross section) just wondering if the straps would be long enough to engage in the fastener. ....
The strap not being long enough is an issue that can occur with deep section road bike wheels as well. My TT bike has 80mm deep rims. Easily sorted with some toe clip straps, either from the box of bike bits you never got round to throwing away or Decathlon sell some webbing ones for a few quid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The strap not being long enough is an issue that can occur with deep section road bike wheels as well. My TT bike has 80mm deep rims. Easily sorted with some toe clip straps, either from the box of bike bits you never got round to throwing away or Decathlon sell some webbing ones for a few quid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Owen Well in that case your fat bike would be good to go on a new VW bike rack... Paul

Is this the new T6 bike rack - what a cruddy affair! I am opting for the removable tow bar and fitting one of these babies on
much more stylish and practical since you can see out the window and use the rack when you want it without the added wind noise - thought the original T5 bike rack enhanced the vehicle but this degrades it in my opinion
12299378_10153772192596660_3891974949711173048_n.jpg

10409012_10153772192656660_6432887188844481469_n.jpg

Can't say I like it much either.

Mark[/QUOTE]

On the plus side you can now buy the cheaper faimmia bike rack and save yourself £200 as the VW one is now just as ugly?

On the plus side you can now buy the cheaper faimmia bike rack and save yourself £200 as the VW one is now just as ugly?
Thanks but I will stick with the Thule one and use the tow bar as an asset in case needed for towing and certainly for the very stylish

Thule VeloCompact 2 Bike Carrier

Another reason is that the rear of the T6 is nicely designed and the windows are bigger so would be shame to cover it up with a permanent bike rack especially ones so badly designed. At least the T5 bike rack looked as if it had been designed to enhance the vehicle

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00U4PC3AG/?tag=eliteelect-21

oops! i ordered a vw bike rack for my yet to arrive t6. it arrived last week and i assumed it would be the same as the t6 rack. i will ask my dealer if it is the "t5" or the "t6" rack.

has anyone actually put a t5 vw rack on a t6 cali & used it?

some new information from German Cali board.

the awful one is not available, so VW deliver the old nice one at the moment.

Nobody knows what will happen from March/April on.

Uwe

- Info 1: Bis dato war der NeueHässliche (NH) nicht lieferbar, weil wohl noch keine Zulassung seitens des KBA vor lag, dies wäre jetzt wohl aber so
- Info 2: Derzeit erfolge Produktion und Auslieferung ausschliesslich mit dem NeuenSchönen (NS)
- Info 3: Ob die Produktion/Auslieferung ab März/April mit dem NS oder NH erfolgt, darüber kann derzeit keine sichere Aussage getroffen werden ...... grummel.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

I have ordered the removable tow bar for future-proofing and will buy this baby when the T6 arrives!

Thule 925 Velo Compact tow ball mounted 2 bike carrying rack

This will allow me to look out the rear window without obstruction, use the tow bar for other purposes such as a boot box or dare I say it (a caravan!). Meantime I can mount two electric or conventional bikes easily when I want them and being much lower to the ground for easier access, and finally be able to open the boot without taking the bikes off!

Oh and I forgot, the improved lines (in my opinion) will not be cluttered with a clumsy looking new bike rack which is far inferior to the previous T5 version that looked sporty and actually enhanced the Cali in my view

Hope you like the Thule solution!

some new information from German Cali board.

the awful one is not available, so VW deliver the old nice one at the moment.

Nobody knows what will happen from March/April on.

Uwe

- Info 1: Bis dato war der NeueHässliche (NH) nicht lieferbar, weil wohl noch keine Zulassung seitens des KBA vor lag, dies wäre jetzt wohl aber so
- Info 2: Derzeit erfolge Produktion und Auslieferung ausschliesslich mit dem NeuenSchönen (NS)
- Info 3: Ob die Produktion/Auslieferung ab März/April mit dem NS oder NH erfolgt, darüber kann derzeit keine sichere Aussage getroffen werden ...... grummel.

Uwe, please could you explain your post again because the T6 tailgate is different from the T5. Do you have information that VW are bringing out a different bike rack in March/April?

the guy explained that there are two tailgates now - the old (nice one) and the new one (nobody like). Due to a missing approval the new one was not on stock so VW take the old one which you can see looking to recent delivered T6 Cali's. But nobody knows about deliveries from March/April on.

If you go the a German dealer you will find two tailgates on the list.

Uwe

I got a call from my dealer, yesterday. My T6 is on its way to Luxembourg and after that it will get back to Germany. I was ask what kind of tailgate I would like to find on my car.

Guess what my choice is

I will pick up my Cali on the 30th of January. It's like Christmas now

Uwe

I got a call from my dealer, yesterday. My T6 is on its way to Luxembourg and after that it will get back to Germany. I was ask what kind of tailgate I would like to find on my car.

Guess what my choice is

I will pick up my Cali on the 30th of January. It's like Christmas now

Uwe

I totally agree that the new bike rack is an ugly poorly designed monstrosity. But I like the new tailgate and new LED lights. I don't want to have to change all that for an accessory.
Surely a nicer looking bike rack will be designed to fit the new tailgate.
It's seems a bit 'tailgate about t*t' to make your vehicle fit your bike rack.

You have to swap tailgate to bike rack in all my postings

My mistake

It was all about bike racks all the time!

Difficult English

You have to swap tailgate to bike rack in all my postings

My mistake

It was all about bike racks all the time!

Difficult English

I understand. Your English is infinitely better than my German!
So there will be a choice of two bike racks to choose from? Nice.
Have you got any pictures or links for the nicer one you've ordered?

The nice one is the T5 one

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say so each to there own. This may be heresy on this forum but I cannot say I ordered my California on aesthetics but pure utility therefore find it fascinating the scrutiny a 'bike rack' receives. I don't find Cali's particularly attractive vehicles TBH but place huge stock on the opportunity and lifestyle they support. The bike rack in the end will be decorated with some filthy mud caked mountain bikes so fit it on and enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say so each to there own. This may be heresy on this forum but I cannot say I ordered my California on aesthetics but pure utility therefore find it fascinating the scrutiny a 'bike rack' receives. I don't find Cali's particularly attractive vehicles TBH but place huge stock on the opportunity and lifestyle they support. The bike rack in the end will be decorated with some filthy mud caked mountain bikes so fit it on and enjoy.

hugely controversial Tom

Controversial indeed. The birth of Bike Rack Gate.

Back