Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California Event Review after 19-years of ownership

Trail Planner

Trail Planner

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Sorry, it has taken so long. Here is my review of our VW Cali. The 50-year anniversary model (hence the name Event). Purchase new in 2001, we continue to have great adventures and cannot think of how we will replace her, when the day comes.

IMG_20200830_061346.jpg

I very rarely see these in the UK but would love to hear from other owners.

Great review. There’s something really satisfying about those T4s. We’ve had ours a year now and I hope to be where you are in another 19! I don’t think the paint on my T6 will last as well as yours. It does not seem durable.

In terms of carbon, your van will pollute more than a new one for sure, but there’s a hell of a lot of carbon in building a new one! I guess emissions in cities could be an issue for you, but then I personally don’t want to be in large cities in my van anyway!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoyable reading, although I'm surprised that it has taken 14 years to solve the popping turbo pipe!
I think that you are right about the future, your best environmental option is to keep your 19 year old van for as long as it continues to do for you what it has done up to now.

Great review of a great van. And what amazing value....I imagine it would fetch high teens now, so from £26k 19 years ago is amazing value. My T4 exclusive was in the same colour and from Deepcar. My LHD current T5 also came via Deepcar in 2006 (still got the branded floor mats).
It’s nice that some of the newer owners learn about the heritage of their much newer vans.
Is it the 102hp or the 150 (with those 16” wheels perhaps)?

Sorry, it has taken so long. Here is my review of our VW Cali. The 50-year anniversary model (hence the name Event). Purchase new in 2001, we continue to have great adventures and cannot think of how we will replace her, when the day comes.

View attachment 66238

A great review of the vehicle and also of the joy of owning a campervan. Thank you for sharing

Very nicely penned down @Martyn Howe . That is a van that can truly be called an integral part of the family and a "keeper" in the true sense of the word. Thank you for sharing.

Wishing you many more years of enjoyment with the van.

PS: Dreading the day when my wife fills in fuel into the water tank ... so I keep the key separately and at the bottom of the front cubby hole

Nice read. A part of the family too and clearly important for you all with happy memories.
I think only another Cali at the correct time would go anywhere near replacing it.

Enjoyable reading, although I'm surprised that it has taken 14 years to solve the popping turbo pipe!
I think that you are right about the future, your best environmental option is to keep your 19 year old van for as long as it continues to do for you what it has done up to now.
I only had the problem for a couple of years - say years 12-15.

Great review of a great van. And what amazing value....I imagine it would fetch high teens now, so from £26k 19 years ago is amazing value. My T4 exclusive was in the same colour and from Deepcar. My LHD current T5 also came via Deepcar in 2006 (still got the branded floor mats).
It’s nice that some of the newer owners learn about the heritage of their much newer vans.
Is it the 102hp or the 150 (with those 16” wheels perhaps)?
Yes, its the 150hp. Worth the extra for the 5-cylinder motor, now discontinued. Smoooth and very tunable apparently.

Great review. Love the van. Hope theres many more miles ahead

View attachment 66238

ive only had mine for 6 years but it is a great vehicle, the 150 engine is superb

20190222_085510.jpg

20180805_162742.jpg

Such wonderful see original California! Thankyou to show you beautiful camper pictures!

Your generation mechanical car can functioning many decade give excellent joy and travels.

I am wonder if is today modern California can living such long life when is Vw not support software in 7 + years. - So much today California is software function control.

We are all know 7 years old computer / cellphone is only value to throw to trash, cannot function and update.

Is today California go same way!

I would hope that software updates are provided for 7+ years, but the vehicle will still work beyond that. If future vehicles are internet-connected, then VW should provide security updates beyond that. Many cars have mobile SIMs installed now.

View attachment 66238

Hi Rusty, I’m David I have a California Event it’s the Two Tone silver version it’s brilliant I bought it about 4 years ago 9C454497-BBA5-440E-B955-B2D0ABE7E2EE.jpeg

New roof curtain by the looks of it. Nice scheme. Which wheels are those? BBWs? 16"?

Yes BB’s the roof doesn’t look like this anymore it’s the original and has got wet and has holes
So needs replacing

Here is an other Event owner. Bought by my uncle new in 2002. He sold it to my parents who had it for a few years and in 2015 I became the new owner. It's complete with all the extra's that came with the Event. The roofcanvas has been replaced once, the charger and fridge electric's have been serviced, we have a 280 Ah LiFePo4 battery after the original GEL went bad after 18 years. A Bearlock has been mounted from new. We have a original Westfalia Sherpa's Translift roofrack.

We went to Denmark last summer and the van was loaded up as you can see.
IMG_20210714_090453011_HDR.jpg

It's a 102 hp ACV. We have a solarpanel that can be mounted on the Sherpa's Translift with the SUP Board on top. The Solar panel feeds the home made 280 Ah LiFePo4 leisure battery. We run the optional BBS inch rims with Michelin Agilis Cross Climate tires.

Oooh. That's lovely. I wish I ordered those wheels. I saw quite a few T4 Cali's in Denmark when I cycled around the coast a few years ago. Wanting to go back in the camper.

Anyone know who can replace canvas on California event Bristol area
I need to know for certain rather than suggestions as the companies that do there own conversions will only deal with their own roofs not Westfalia
Also i need in fo for whole wing mirror replacement passenger side original the other makes are awful
Would appreciate any help willing to travel in south west

Let me know if you find someone. I believe the link to the German website for the canvas and rubber seals are elsewhere on this site. I might attempt to do this myself.

I changed the canvas on my brothers California last year. It's not hard, just make sure you work clean and pay attention to the details! It took us about 2-3 hours including a cup of coffee and some rust removal on the rear hinges.

Back