Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California Not Welcome At Portree, Skye

Send it to BlackBeltBarrister on YouTube. He will probably do a video on it that everyone can use as a reference going forward :)
Got to be one of the best YouTube channels !

Got to be one of the best YouTube channels !
Yes I agree. He puts a lot of time into the channel and posts videos that are informative and helpful for people!

I had a similar experience in Lyme Regis this month. Signage clearly said no motorhomes. Fine, ticked that box, fit in the space with no overhang.

Paid, came back to an £35 fine. Read the small print on the sign.

Max length 4.8m. I can’t imagine given Transporter is 4.9m that it is a coincidence.

Same at another car park in Dorset. Had to move to a motorhone space which fortunately it had.

I assume this is a trend and a backlash against the campervan explosion.

Makes things a touch tricky if you can’t even use a pay & display.

I think we had similar issues at The Old Man of Storr car park. Drove under barrrier and was literally chased by a warden who was livid with us for even attempting to park in the car park (it was busy). He said we had to park outside along the road in spots allocated for motorhomes - alas lots of these were filled with cars. Couldn’t make it up. Just drove on.
In fact we were left a little underwhelmed with Skye although we had a couple of nice nights in Staffin further north.

It does seem unnecessarily spiteful. We live in a tourist destination and a minority of visitors (specifically selfishly parked motorhomes and speeding motorcycles) can cause resentment and lead to knee jerk reactions from the local council. Our council has addressed the motorhome issue by providing clear signage ('no sleeping overnight') and enforcing parking fairly. They have also designed overnight bays for 'self contained' vehicles (own shower and bog). Maybe find out which local councillor has responsibility for parking and /or tourism and write to them, politely, through gritted teeth if you have to. You're more likely to get a positive result by going down that route, I suspect.

I think we had similar issues at The Old Man of Storr car park. Drove under barrrier and was literally chased by a warden who was livid with us for even attempting to park in the car park (it was busy). He said we had to park outside along the road in spots allocated for motorhomes - alas lots of these were filled with cars. Couldn’t make it up. Just drove on.
In fact we were left a little underwhelmed with Skye although we had a couple of nice nights in Staffin further north.
unfortunately this is the situation across the country and will make the California and other similar vans less usable as day to day vehicles.

less usable as day to day vehicles.
This is ultimately the problem Cali, and its ilk, owners are going to encounter ever increasingly.
By these rules even the MV Cali Concept and Caddy are persona non grata. What about a Defender with a roof top tent? It's a slippery slope and some accommodation is needed. A no overnight parking limitation is the best and fairest solution IMHO.
The Continentals have much more enlightened, light touch approach.

This worries me as we go to the highlands lots and the cali is my only form of transportation. It’s a registered disability vehicle with dvla.

We visited this car park in Skye last year, and as we parked we saw the sign on the way to the meter so we decided to move on. We couldn’t believe that the local council would want to turn away tourists. We managed to get a free spot around the corner, as it had gone past 6pm. We didn’t much like Portree, so we had a quick meal in a pub and moved on.

I'm really new to Campervan life, but it seems there is a wave of restrictions coming. I read recently that lots of beach car parks in Wales are putting in physical restrictions to their car parks to prevent campers and motor homes

As a rural resident in Scotland for over 40 years I am embarrassed by all this nonsense. I’ve had a few problems on the west coast with residents who consider me and my Cali shouldn’t be there. I wonder what ‘Discover Scotland’ has to say?

Unfortunately the issue is the same over with anything; a selfish minority causing uproar and a controlling reaction that makes life misery for the majority. I’m going to be stereotypical here and say it’s the battered Sprinter brigade / great white shoals who rock up in lay-bys and car parks, treat it like a campsite and annoy everyone (residents and tourists alike!) that are to blame. Certainly the number I see in the highlands these days reinforces this.

Skye itself I find is not particularly desirable these days - a victim of its own success. 10+ years ago it was lovely (maybe even more recently than that) but it’s had such an explosion of tourism, both UK and overseas, it can’t cope and I suspect many of the vocal locals (and their chosen councillors) similarly can’t or won’t cope.

Tourism in rural locations is always such a fine line; too little and everything folds, too much and it becomes overran. Too seasonal and residents who depend on that economy struggle to make ends meet over the winter….

Scotland and Cornwall could become campervan no-go areas. Shame.
Looks like that’s the direction of travel.

I wonder if there is a legal challenge? They are marketed as versatile family cars that fit in standard parking spaces.

I noted a some of the Dorset car parks small print related to being converted for living in, kitchen etc.

Does this delineate a Beach from an Ocean? One could surely argue the pop top is solely for day van use.

I get that councils are broke. I get that UK coastlines were mobbed in a post Covid world. NC500 crowd chucking their rubbish roadside clearly didn’t help the situation.

Makes it a bit pointless having a Cali! I can’t park on holiday.

In practice this probably is only going to be a council issue; I suspect any commercial location (ie attractions, supermarkets etc) will be fine. They have enough sense that draconian measures aren’t conducive to good business

In practice this probably is only going to be a council issue; I suspect any commercial location (ie attractions, supermarkets etc) will be fine. They have enough sense that draconian measures aren’t conducive to good business
That said, we just tried to park in Lyme Regis. Sign posts say no. Makes it difficult to visit the beach, grab lunch whichever.

I don't know the area, but it's possible this is a very local issue. In our local area (south of the border) parking is devolved right down to parish level. The County Council will undertake the monitoring and enforcement work, but actual policies and price levels are set by the local parish council.
So - it may be just a 'rogue' council or even one or two Councillors who have an issue with campers /motorhomes rather than a more widespread issue.
None of this explains why a small vehicle parked in a marked bay within the time limit and not slept in should be a problem. Once upon a tine That's Life might have liked to take this sort of thing up.

Last edited:
Unfortunately the issue is the same over with anything; a selfish minority causing uproar and a controlling reaction that makes life misery for the majority. I’m going to be stereotypical here and say it’s the battered Sprinter brigade / great white shoals who rock up in lay-bys and car parks, treat it like a campsite and annoy everyone (residents and tourists alike!) that are to blame. Certainly the number I see in the highlands these days reinforces this.

Skye itself I find is not particularly desirable these days - a victim of its own success. 10+ years ago it was lovely (maybe even more recently than that) but it’s had such an explosion of tourism, both UK and overseas, it can’t cope and I suspect many of the vocal locals (and their chosen councillors) similarly can’t or won’t cope.

Tourism in rural locations is always such a fine line; too little and everything folds, too much and it becomes overran. Too seasonal and residents who depend on that economy struggle to make ends meet over the winter….
Really disappointed with Skye on 2 visits in 3 yrs - very early spring visits. The traffic on the island was very busy with rental vehicles and a large majority of them were clueless behind the wheel, parked where they liked (usually badly) and in many cases were a danger to other road users!

Really disappointed with Skye on 2 visits in 3 yrs - very early spring visits. The traffic on the island was very busy with rental vehicles and a large majority of them were clueless behind the wheel, parked where they liked (usually badly) and in many cases were a danger to other road users!
Such a shame. Roadsurfer et al. Like a plague of locusts.

Social media doesn’t help. Everyone is trying to recreate Skyfall etc.

A lot of visitors to the Highlands and Islands would be clueless in a Fiesta if they’re used to Hemel Hempstead (other urban centres are available), shove them behind the wheel of a large van and it’s no surprise it results in chaos

Yeah. Pillocks. Note, it’s not in Skye.

Back to the OP. This has come up a lot of times on here and we are very careful to read all signs properly. This sign was complex, but quite clear. More and more councils are stopping Cali parking because, as noted by another recent post asking which car park they can sleep in, too many owners are abusing their ability to park.

2350D40E-30E2-49A0-9FF2-FC715302916A.jpeg

To say I am livid is an understatement.

I’ve been slapped a £100 fine today for parking my California in the public car par in the centre of Portree, Skye l. I’d seen the the no motorhome sign, but missed the tiny no campervan sticker that had been added underneath it.

I tried to explain to the parking warden that it is the same size as the multivan parked behind me. He didn't care. Just said it has a built in bed, so it’s a campervan. The sad, fat, miserable, man took great delight in being rude to my daughter and I.

I’d stayed in Portree Campsite the night before, eaten in a local pub, paid for parking at The Old Man of Storr carpark and then paid to use the car park so I could buy food in the Co-Op and a few gifts from local shops. All in all a lot of £££ spent in less than 24 hours to support the local economy.

This was simply a kick in the teeth from the local council. A money grabbing scam. There was nowhere else to park. I fitted the California within the parking space. Paid for longer than needed - just in case.

I will not be going back to Portree and I would recommend all California owners to be careful / avoid the area if this is the Council’s latest fleece a tourist strategy.
View attachment 121035
Yes very frustrating and unclear signage. I was in Skye this week too, first time I stayed on a site where Campervans (mainly Californias) outnumber MoHos. For end of March I thought it was very busy indeed and I also noted many Calis were hired going by markings; I would guess more than half. I looked up one of the companies who had a large new fleet in the central belt which clearly benefit from Scotland's beauty. Hires are in excess of £100 a day so I would suspect most of the holiday spending is not on location; however, I do think the rural economy benefits as staffing for traditional accommodation is difficult.
So, back to parking, there are just not enough spaces for all the vehicles which leads to frustration for all, then it seems somebody thought they could solve this with a Dymo rather than more appropriate clear signage. These instances do ruin your day but hopefully your post will increase awareness, I for one. Thanks!

Yes very frustrating and unclear signage. I was in Skye this week too, first time I stayed on a site where Campervans (mainly Californias) outnumber MoHos. For end of March I thought it was very busy indeed and I also noted many Calis were hired going by markings; I would guess more than half. I looked up one of the companies who had a large new fleet in the central belt which clearly benefit from Scotland's beauty. Hires are in excess of £100 a day so I would suspect most of the holiday spending is not on location; however, I do think the rural economy benefits as staffing for traditional accommodation is difficult.
So, back to parking, there are just not enough spaces for all the vehicles which leads to frustration for all, then it seems somebody thought they could solve this with a Dymo rather than more appropriate clear signage. These instances do ruin your day but hopefully your post will increase awareness, I for one. Thanks!
the situation in tourist hot spots will be come worse going forward holiday lets are going to suffer due to the new holiday let tax system in 2025 no incentive to buy or run such a business people will struggle for holiday accommodation must pubs and hotels are shutting due to staff shortages and spiralling running costs,now councils are trying to pull in revenue through robbing tourists whilst visiting places that have no real revenue streams over than tourists.The uk is going down hill fast in my opinion but all these people that complain about tourism will soon have there little villages back they can sit by themselves and think of the next thing they want to ruin.

Back