Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California Not Welcome At Portree, Skye

Portree still wants to discriminate based on vehicle use, not vehicle size, which is strange and unwelcoming. But I also see the pressure on the local people by tourism. Even if the local economy is doing well because of tourism, problems with traffic and too many people at once are quite real. I have lived in a small coastal village for a few years and know what it looks like.

I camped all my life in a small tent without chairs and tables and never lit campfires. I try to be as invisible as possible and leave almost no trace.

I try to 'wild camp' whenever possible—not because I don't want to spend money but because I love to be alone in the woods for those few weeks of travelling around. Being seen as part of the problem with over-tourism and overuse of nature does not feel great, to say the least.

Blaming Instagram and the tourist board does not help us, and I don't know what will.
It sounds very much like a 'Tough on campervan and tough on the causes of campervans' which seems unreasonable provided the vehicle parks within the bay and doesn't overstay, but they obviously won't be moved.
I also live in a coastal area so sympathise with the problem of inconsiderate parking and traffic, but this seems like a poor response, especially given that 'light goods vehicles' are allowed. My guess is that one or more local councilors made an election pledge to 'do something about it' in response to vocal complainants with an axe to grind. It's very likely there are similar stories in the local press reinforcing the notion that 'something has been done'. A crude response, but that's how local politics works I'm afraid.
Don't blame the council officers, they have obviously been given instructions.

It sounds very much like a 'Tough on campervan and tough on the causes of campervans' which seems unreasonable provided the vehicle parks within the bay and doesn't overstay, but they obviously won't be moved.
I also live in a coastal area so sympathise with the problem of inconsiderate parking and traffic, but this seems like a poor response, especially given that 'light goods vehicles' are allowed. My guess is that one or more local councilors made an election pledge to 'do something about it' in response to vocal complainants with an axe to grind. It's very likely there are similar stories in the local press reinforcing the notion that 'something has been done'. A crude response, but that's how local politics works I'm afraid.
Don't blame the council officers, they have obviously been given instructions.
Thats probably what has happened, and I had assumed there was a conditions sign with that wording when it was posted. Like you say places like Portree get very busy, as does our tourist town. Mid season 45-60mins to go shopping 3miles away, after 1800 or winter, 10mins.

as for traffic wardens 'just doing their jobs' i disagree,bit like pub bouncers,yellow vest wearers,security guards etc,alot of them are absolute arse holes who won't be reasoned with.
you forgot campsite wardens :D

Check your V5 and see if yours is registered as an MPV and then tell them to stick it.

Frankly I have neither the time nor energy to take this further. I’ll chalk it up as a learning experience. I just hope that be creating this thread others will avoid this situation. Time to move on.
Thank you for creating this thread, at least I now know to be very much on the lookout when we visit Scotland in july/august later this year. Thanks to your sharing of knowledge, I will be better prepared.

Off-topic 1: I was wondering what the parking attendant would do with a car with rooftoptent… that would also classify as “motor vehicle adapted for sleeping”.

Off-topic 2: I saw someone referring to a car park with length restriction of 4.8m. That would mean that a lot of larger cars (like Audi A6, BMW 5-series, Mercedes E, VW Passat and many more) are also not allowed to park there?

Off-topic 1: I was wondering what the parking attendant would do with a car with rooftoptent… that would also classify as “motor vehicle adapted for sleeping”.
Ticket!!! … unless the attendant doesn’t realise what it is!
Off-topic 2: I saw someone referring to a car park with length restriction of 4.8m. That would mean that a lot of larger cars (like Audi A6, BMW 5-series, Mercedes E, VW Passat and many more) are also not allowed to park there?
No length restriction on the signage. That applies in Dorset (and probably other areas).

Doubt they would know as it looks like a roof box when stowed. I reckon no ticket.
If deployed....ticket.

The Cali is a sitting duck
Yeah I updated my comment :)

Definitely a sitting duck though! I wonder what would happen to a Caravelle… o_O

Definitely a sitting duck though! I wonder what would happen to a Caravelle… o_O
Could go either way depending on whether the parky is trigger happy. From 10 paces they look identical.

Could go either way depending on whether the parky is trigger happy. From 10 paces they look identical.
I’d definitely complain if I had a caravelle and got ticketed.

I’d definitely complain if I had a caravelle and got ticketed.
From the stock computer-says-no reply thr OP got I wouldn't be so sure. That towbar could take it over the 5m.

And one of these…?
Accommodated for sleeping > ticket

This is, in fact, every car with reclining chairs. From the late 1960s, they were sold as a means of taking a nap. Don't you ever close your eyes behind the wheel of an Audi Q8!

Doubt they would know as it looks like a roof box when stowed. I reckon no ticket.
If deployed....ticket.

The Cali is a sitting duck
Dunno, the "Tent box" ones have pretty overt writing on them!

Reminds me of the early mobile phone era, certain establishments would have the 'NO MOBILE PHONES' signs...there are not many people you speak to who do not want a campervan/ moho yet virtually everyone who hated mobile phones has one now... I very much doubt everyone in Skye hates campervans but some interactions can spoil the undoubted fun we all have. As someone earlier posted: life is too short!

Thank you for creating this thread, at least I now know to be very much on the lookout when we visit Scotland in july/august later this year. Thanks to your sharing of knowledge, I will be better prepared.

Re longer cars - specifically applies to vans. See pic for reference. (Off topic, as this is Dorset)

IMG_2101.jpeg

I wonder if the traffic warden knows the difference between a Cali beach with a kitchen and a Cali beach without a kitchen. The bed is irrelevant. My beach is registered as a seven seater MPV and I pay the luxury car tax. I would be livid and challenging any ticket given to me and I live in the Highlands so there is good chance I will have to soon.

Perhaps as a precaution I should copy and laminate the relevant part of my registration document and put it on the dash with big letters "This is not a camper van according to DVLA"

To say I am livid is an understatement.

I’ve been slapped a £100 fine today for parking my California in the public car par in the centre of Portree, Skye l. I’d seen the the no motorhome sign, but missed the tiny no campervan sticker that had been added underneath it.

I tried to explain to the parking warden that it is the same size as the multivan parked behind me. He didn't care. Just said it has a built in bed, so it’s a campervan. The sad, fat, miserable, man took great delight in being rude to my daughter and I.

I’d stayed in Portree Campsite the night before, eaten in a local pub, paid for parking at The Old Man of Storr carpark and then paid to use the car park so I could buy food in the Co-Op and a few gifts from local shops. All in all a lot of £££ spent in less than 24 hours to support the local economy.

This was simply a kick in the teeth from the local council. A money grabbing scam. There was nowhere else to park. I fitted the California within the parking space. Paid for longer than needed - just in case.

I will not be going back to Portree and I would recommend all California owners to be careful / avoid the area if this is the Council’s latest fleece a tourist strategy.
View attachment 121035
I parked in Portree in September their is another car park at top of town, free no issues 1712308760916.png

I wonder if the traffic warden knows the difference between a Cali beach with a kitchen and a Cali beach without a kitchen. The bed is irrelevant. My beach is registered as a seven seater MPV and I pay the luxury car tax. I would be livid and challenging any ticket given to me and I live in the Highlands so there is good chance I will have to soon.

Perhaps as a precaution I should copy and laminate the relevant part of my registration document and put it on the dash with big letters "This is not a camper van according to DVLA"
I'm afraid it is immaterial what DVLA classify your vehicle as, it's what the Local Council define as a Campervan/Motorhome. Prepare to be " livid".

Back