Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California Not Welcome At Portree, Skye

the situation in tourist hot spots will be come worse going forward holiday lets are going to suffer due to the new holiday let tax system in 2025 no incentive to buy or run such a business people will struggle for holiday accommodation must pubs and hotels are shutting due to staff shortages and spiralling running costs,now councils are trying to pull in revenue through robbing tourists whilst visiting places that have no real revenue streams over than tourists.The uk is going down hill fast in my opinion but all these people that complain about tourism will soon have there little villages back they can sit by themselves and think of the next thing they want to ruin.
Yes the Scottish goverment are doing a tremendous job at driving us closer to Enver Hoxha's Albania. The only hope is the next election when they should be evicted before they reach their goal of making everyone poor...imho

Malham . They made paths at Malham cove more 'acessible' and the result is the tiny dales village is swamped by day trippers. Glad I'm not away in that lot so I see why locals complain but we are all tourists at some point. I think that tiny sticker at the bottom of that sign can't be right and wouldn't pay it. Especially that one 10 ft high up on the post.

Screenshot_20240331_122701_Facebook.jpg

This is one of the reasons why we 1. Dont want to upgrade our Cali and 2. refused to request a change to our V5C. We're one of the few Cali's during the 2019/2020 period that were registered as MPVs rather than motorhomes. Yes, we've been stung for years with the luxury vehicle tax - but if ever anyone wants to challenge us as to it being a motor caravan, they're going to be dissapointed. That and in one year, we only pay base tax.

This is one of the reasons why we 1. Dont want to upgrade our Cali and 2. refused to request a change to our V5C. We're one of the few Cali's during the 2019/2020 period that were registered as MPVs rather than motorhomes. Yes, we've been stung for years with the luxury vehicle tax - but if ever anyone wants to challenge us as to it being a motor caravan, they're going to be dissapointed. That and in one year, we only pay base tax.
I really don’t think that will cut it with the car park attendant.. I would be amazed if they did a DVLA vehicle check before deciding whether to issue a ticket. No, I think they would see the pop-top, kitchen, side awning, and California logo, and would take a punt that it is indeed a campervan. Of course, you could contest the ticket but they rely on the majority of people just paying the fine.
I did suggest much earlier in this thread that to OP send this to BlackBeltBarrister on YouTube. It’s just the kind of thing he would do a video about :thumb

I really don’t think that will cut it with the car park attendant.. I would be amazed if they did a DVLA vehicle check before deciding whether to issue a ticket. No, I think they would see the pop-top, kitchen, side awning, and California logo, and would take a punt that it is indeed a campervan. Of course, you could contest the ticket but they rely on the majority of people just paying the fine.
I did suggest much earlier in this thread that to OP send this to BlackBeltBarrister on YouTube. It’s just the kind of thing he would do a video about :thumb
Oh not implying the attendant wouldn’t ticket it up - but a very black and white challenge when contesting.

Oh not implying the attendant wouldn’t ticket it up - but a very black and white challenge when contesting.

Many will have their own definitions. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck…

My Beach has the same MPV category, but I think I would still move on if I saw the no campervan notice to avoid the hassle of contesting. It would be interesting to see the outcome in Dorset car parks where they have the 4.8m length rule as well…

My Beach has the same MPV category, but I think I would still move on if I saw the no campervan notice to avoid the hassle of contesting. It would be interesting to see the outcome in Dorset car parks where they have the 4.8m length rule as well…
You could remove the rear bumper to park in Dorset.

You could remove the rear bumper to park in Dorset.
Haha! I was thinking someone might invent slimline aftermarket bumpers to get under 4.8m. Would probably still get a ticket though!!

I wonder how people who use Calis or conversions as their sole transportation manage. There are car parks with a few huge motorhome spaces but they are out of town and twice the price per hour.

Devon on the other hand seems positively campervan friendly. I guess that tells a tale of their relative tourism market vs Dorset.

Unfortunately the issue is the same over with anything; a selfish minority causing uproar and a controlling reaction that makes life misery for the majority. I’m going to be stereotypical here and say it’s the battered Sprinter brigade / great white shoals who rock up in lay-bys and car parks, treat it like a campsite and annoy everyone (residents and tourists alike!) that are to blame. Certainly the number I see in the highlands these days reinforces this.

Skye itself I find is not particularly desirable these days - a victim of its own success. 10+ years ago it was lovely (maybe even more recently than that) but it’s had such an explosion of tourism, both UK and overseas, it can’t cope and I suspect many of the vocal locals (and their chosen councillors) similarly can’t or won’t cope.

Tourism in rural locations is always such a fine line; too little and everything folds, too much and it becomes overran. Too seasonal and residents who depend on that economy struggle to make ends meet over the winter….
Many tourist spots are suffering from Airbnb taking over long term rentals as well as second home owners purchasing properties that could be available for locals at affordable prices, these are obvious problems.
People providing their own portable accommodation would seem to be an excellent solution, particularly if the local authorities can profit from their parking and/or night stops.
A general antipathy many locals have towards their fellow countrymen enjoying themselves seems to be a common theme, the continentals seem to resist such urges, why?

Won't work I'm afraid. Councils use their own definition otherwise all the Transporter conversions would be parked their. DVLA stopped Transporter conversions re-registering as Motor Caravans some years ago . They are now Van with Windows unless they meet certain strict criteria .

There is also the increase in people buying vans as their main source of transport - a realisation that a van is a real SUV with so many options available to turn into a multi-use vehicle.

Slightly off the OP topic, I know, but perhaps relevant all the same.

New to the campervans in 2023, my wife and I - whilst previously unaware - picked up quite quickly on people worried we had plans to 'wild camp' etc., both here and abroad, so I made these signs which I slot into magnetic clip, wherever we park if appropriate:

Sign 1.jpegsign 2.jpeg
Clip:

Last edited:
I wonder what the warden would have done if all the screens were down would he have know it had a bed in ....

I’ve been thinking about the OP and the reasoning or not for the issue in Portree.
1. It is a very small town with tight busy roads, a couple of tight busy central parking areas and is miles from anywhere. It’s where the locals need to visit to do stuff. So campers getting to and bunging up those central parking spaces is a nuisance.
2. A large car park, literally a minute out of the centre, caters for campers. Fees are reasonable, bays are large.
3. There is a camper fraternity who believe they can wild camp anywhere in Scotland, and from this and other threads many are Cali owners. This rightly infuriates locals.
My conclusion is that there is a space for us all in Portree if we look for it and are prepared to drive that extra minute. Everyone is a winner.
Having said this, I personally found Skye to be overrated and won’t rush back. Scotland has so much more to offer.

I’ve been thinking about the OP and the reasoning or not for the issue in Portree.
1. It is a very small town with tight busy roads, a couple of tight busy central parking areas and is miles from anywhere. It’s where the locals need to visit to do stuff. So campers getting to and bunging up those central parking spaces is a nuisance.
2. A large car park, literally a minute out of the centre, caters for campers. Fees are reasonable, bays are large.
3. There is a camper fraternity who believe they can wild camp anywhere in Scotland, and from this and other threads many are Cali owners. This rightly infuriates locals.
My conclusion is that there is a space for us all in Portree if we look for it and are prepared to drive that extra minute. Everyone is a winner.
Having said this, I personally found Skye to be overrated and won’t rush back. Scotland has so much more to offer.
All of that sounds reasonable. I think the issue the (lack of) clarity on the signage isn't it? Though still, if it fits in the bay and doesn't over stay it seems a bit unnecessary.

Ah yes,... been following this thread with interest (and a little extra steam),. but just took a quick look on google street view and there is a dedicated motorhome/camper car park right on the edge of the water (nice view!) with a 'resource centre'.. waste disposal and water? Thats paints a slightly less annoying picture for me. Totally get the arguments here, but at least they have made an effort to provide an alternative?

So why don't they put something on that sign post that says campervan parking please use alternative car park
If they did that it would loose its status as the 3rd highest revenue raising car park in the Highlands.

Reading the attached amendment to the TRO which changed the fees for parking, its strange that that carpark does not mention on it "no Motorhomes" unlike some of the others.

The parking policy document states that the restriction is actually "Parking of vehicles manufactured for or adapted for the purpose of sleeping" that is at odds with signage. Surely those words should appear on the ticket machine etc.

Attachments

• 2023_THC_Parking_Tariff_Change_Notice.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 13
  • THC_Parking_Policy_2018_2023_V1.4.pdf
    52.3 KB · Views: 6
  • TRO .pdf
    315.5 KB · Views: 6
Back