Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California parking in Swanage Dorset! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

You can come to Chester and park overnight for a nominal fee at the Roodee (next to the River Dee a few minutes walk from the city centre). Not much use for me though, I only live a cycle ride away :) Let me know when you're coming :D

Well I live in Poole and in some areas by the water like Baiter Park for instance, we have extra large bays marked up as for Motorcaravans only so they are very very welcome here and guess where we ended up today after leaving Swanage to continue taking in the sunny sea views, yes right on our doorstep in Baiter Park where we also took an hour to walk up the high street and do some shopping. Great for the local economy ;-) oh and guess what they charge large Motorcaravans to park up? Exactly the same as a Smart Car! Local bylaws are an ass sometimes !

You can come to Chester and park overnight for a nominal fee at the Roodee (next to the River Dee a few minutes walk from the city centre). Not much use for me though, I only live a cycle ride away :) Let me know when you're coming :D

There are actually a few "aires" springing up in the UK.

It's Scotland, a country that actually seems to welcome people spending money, but I stopped off at Cruden bay and had a lovely chat with the council man who has the title of "harbour master" and who apologised to me for the huge great digger that blocked half the harbour parking spaces. They are renovating the sea wall. He was apologising that the digger obscured my view whilst stopping in his lovely harbour with only an honesty box requesting a donation.

OK... now I'm going to be slightly unpopular...

Thursday this week, early morning, headed to Swanage and parked up adjacent to the beach. It's roadside parking, no marked bays.

Paid my £1 parking fee but as I did so, read the sign. Was specific that "Cars Only" could park on that stretch of about 70 spaces, so moved on towards the pier and parked in a fantastic spot overlooking the Pier itself.

Large bays, plenty of room, a couple of hundred spaces built in the past couple of years to cater for the increase in traffic. Have to say, compared with a few years ago Swanage now seems extremely well sorted for such a small town. (Had to pay again as it was a different car park which was a little frustrating, but hey... it's only a couple of pounds and I was there to relax)

Second day... Parked on the Pier itself whilst I went off for Fish and Chips... Happy memories of many a scuba diving trip. Payment made to an "honesty box" at the entrance... Fantastic chat with the guy that was running the entrance.

We are motor caravans and unfortunately so many spots have been over used (abused) by larger motorhomes that share our classification and we suffer because of it. But to be honest I've seen that small stretch of seafront swarmed by large coachbuilts, not an pretty sight given it is roadside/beachside parking.

The signage could be clearer and I feel for anyone who didn't spot it and got a ticket. I'd probably argue on the point of signage alone.

Looking wider afield...

There are plenty of other places to go and to park, where there are specific "motorhome" spaces or parking within marked bays for any vehicle that fits or even just wild, beachside parking.

Having spent some time over the past two years touring France and in the south we are also seeing them going the same direction. Out of the towns, no issues but in the main centres significant restrictions and lots of height barriers being installed, it's not just a British thing.

(a)

if it is constructed solely for the carriage of passengers and their effects, is adapted to carry not more than 7 passengers exclusive of the driver, and is fitted with tyres of such type as may be specified in regulations made by the Secretary of State, does not exceed 3050 kilograms;

The 3050Kg is the unladen weight as that is what gives the Californias the same speed limits as cars. The
"solely for the carriage of passengers and their effects" is what differentiates it from a commercial vehicle

Suspect not being constructed "solely for the carriage of passengers" is also what differentiates a Cali from a car, but makes a Caravelle/Multivan acceptable.... Have to say if I'd been in the Multivan without the Kitchen pod, I would have stayed there and probably argued when I got a ticket.

All only my views... I know many won't agree with some of them but I'm out in the van to relax and enjoy things. If it's not welcome... I'll go somewhere it is. (I've already come across campsites that don't like to accept "vans".. Needless to say, I move on and find a friendlier location)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a couple of pictures taken whilst there in the early spring sunshine to lighten the mood.

Rgds
Mark

1-Swanage_Pier.jpg

1-Boat.jpg

Last edited:
"Suspect not being constructed "solely for the carriage of passengers" is also what differentiates a Cali from a car, but makes a Caravelle/Multivan acceptable.."

No!!!! check your V5 if you are category M1 you are a car exactly the same as a caravelle. not sure about a multilane but transporters & some kombis are vans or minibuses. I see you have an earlier 174 check your logbook yours may be registered as a Motor Caravan. Not a M1 car

We previously had a 7.5m motorhome and there was nothing more frustrating than to find a Vw size vehicle that would have fitted in an ordinary sized space taking up one of the handful of dedicated motorhome bays.

Where do you park at motorway services ? in with the lorries or in the ordinary car park?

If you go to the website or use the app "mycarcheck" you can see the data on your vehicle which is available to anyone. Attached screenshot shows the damning evidence on our Cali!image.jpg

No!!!! check your V5 if you are category M1 you are a car exactly the same as a caravelle.

Nope... it's definitely a Motor Caravan on the V5, but as we all know this is inconsistent at best with Cali's thanks to the way the VW delears registered them. Think it's better now they are more familiar.

Where do you park at motorway services ? in with the lorries or in the ordinary car park?

Pretty much anywhere it'll fit and allowed by the owner/manager of the car park... To be honest parked in both. (J38 being a fantastic Truckstop) Fairly relaxed as life is too short.

Last edited:
How about an official Cali boycott of Swanange! there are plenty of other campervan friendly councils out there we can use.

Here in North Devon they actually encourage Campervans and motorhomes to park up and stay the night.

Not in Coombe Martin (last year in August 2014)

John

Nope... it's definitely a Motor Caravan on the V5, but as we all know this is inconsistent at best with Cali's thanks to the way the VW delears registered them. Think it's better now they are more familiar.

Pretty much anywhere it'll fit and allowed by the owner/manager of the car park... To be honest parked in both. (J38 being a fantastic Truckstop) Fairly relaxed as life is too short.
Has anyone ever reregistered their Motorcaravan as a M1 car?

This is confusing! On the DVLA website this is the info for mine ... vehicle type approval M1! I wonder if the clue is in "vehicle type approval: rather than "vehicle type"?

I can't check my V5 because I haven't got it :confused: I will have to chase the dealer up to see what's going on ... in the meantime I'll have to go park in Swanage and find out what my Cali is, a car or a motor home 'cos I don't know myself now

Vehicle details
  • 6 month rate £156.75
  • 12 month rate £285.00
  • 6 monthly by direct debit totalling£149.63
  • 12 monthly by direct debit totalling£285.00
  • Monthly by direct debit totalling£299.25 (Monthly payment of approximately £24.94)
  • Vehicle make VOLKSWAGEN
  • Date of first registration 26 November 2014
  • Year of manufacture 2014
  • Cylinder capacity (cc) 1968cc
  • CO₂Emissions 219 g/km
  • Fuel type DIESEL
  • Export marker No
  • Vehicle status Tax not due
  • Vehicle colour BEIGE
  • Vehicle type approval M1
  • Wheelplan 2 AXLE RIGID BODY
  • Revenue weight 3080kg

This is confusing! On the DVLA website this is the info for mine ... vehicle type approval M1! I wonder if the clue is in "vehicle type approval: rather than "vehicle type"?

I can't check my V5 because I haven't got it :confused: I will have to chase the dealer up to see what's going on ... in the meantime I'll have to go park in Swanage and find out what my Cali is, a car or a motor home 'cos I don't know myself now

Vehicle details
  • 6 month rate £156.75
  • 12 month rate £285.00
  • 6 monthly by direct debit totalling£149.63
  • 12 monthly by direct debit totalling£285.00
  • Monthly by direct debit totalling£299.25 (Monthly payment of approximately £24.94)
  • Vehicle make VOLKSWAGEN
  • Date of first registration 26 November 2014
  • Year of manufacture 2014
  • Cylinder capacity (cc) 1968cc
  • CO₂Emissions 219 g/km
  • Fuel type DIESEL
  • Export marker No
  • Vehicle status Tax not due
  • Vehicle colour BEIGE
  • Vehicle type approval M1
  • Wheelplan 2 AXLE RIGID BODY
  • Revenue weight 3080kg
Agreed Colin
On my V5 the Bodytype is Motor Caravan. Vehicle category, where M1 would be, is blank!?

My V5 for my 15 plate Cali states the "body type" as motor caravan, and vehicle category as M1

At risk of changing the subject, my yet to be delivered to me 'Dark Wood' Cali is listed as colour - Red. Do the DVLA not recognise brown? Or is it so unpopular that it is not admitted to exist :talktothehand. Or is it actually red and I'm colour blind?

Hello

Our Cali was registered 20/09/2013
California SE TDI 140
Body type....motor caravan
3000kg gross
1968cc
Co2....189 G/KM
Heavy oil
Vehicle category...M1

At risk of changing the subject, my yet to be delivered to me 'Dark Wood' Cali is listed as colour - Red. Do the DVLA not recognise brown? Or is it so unpopular that it is not admitted to exist :talktothehand. Or is it actually red and I'm colour blind?
You'll have to put some pics up when you get it, and see if it gets the same reaction as THAT dress

:veryfunny:veryfunny Mine too listed as red looks either brown, black or purple ish in certain light

Have to agree that the motorhomes have descended in ever increasing numbers and are as self-contained as a beach hut. But campervans hardly block the view any more than a Discovery (other SUVs are available).

Thanks for the heads up though - we are there multiple times in the year and I would have entertained a spot on the front!

Last year when we got our Cali, one of our first outings in it was to the beach at Swanage with our grandson - within 5 minutes of leaving the van (we were on the beach nearby) we got a parking ticket. We queried it with the council - took photographs of the signage etc but had to pay up in the end. Needless to say Swanage is off our destination list now which is a pity as it's a lovely seaside town.

1st in probably a long series of emails - from Swanage Town Council

"
Dear Mr Woodsford

Parking on the seafront is the responsibility of Dorset County Council and I have forwarded your email to them. Swanage Town Council is only responsible for off-road parking in our car parks.
I hope this clarifies the situation and hopefully Dorset County Council will reply to your complaint shortly.

Yours sincerely

Jenny Galton

Administration Department
Swanage Town Council

Email : admin@swanage.gov.uk
Tel: 01929 423636
Fax: 01929 427888
"

Oh and one more thing I've just realised, the news was full last week of how the law has changed re the issue of parking tickets. One such revision was a traffic wardens now had to give you 10 minutes grace period before they can issue you with a ticket so how come BillyNoMates in Swanage on Saturday was allowed to say I had to move there and then otherwise he'll issue me with a ticket immediately ????

I don't think that Law has been enacted yet. Has to pass through House of Lords. Projected date on the Statute Books April 2015.

I don't think that Law has been enacted yet. Has to pass through House of Lords. Projected date on the Statute Books April 2015.
OK I'll let him off on that technicallity - he's was still a Total jobs worth though ;-)

Last edited:
Reply from Dorset County Council.

I've informed them that they are now on a Banned List of Seaside Resorts . Their Loss I believe.
Doubt if it will worry them.

Dear Mr Woodsford

Thank you for your recent email querying the parking along Shore Road, Swanage.

I have attached a photograph of the sign that appears along Shore Road, Swanage, of which there are several in this road, which states 'Cars & M/cycles only within marked bays.' Unfortunately, your VW California SE does not fall within this category as it is classed as a campervan - it is not intended solely for the transportation of people and has been constructed or adapted for the purposes of sleeping and cooking - so you are not permitted to park in these particular bays.

Vehicles that do not fall into the category of "Cars and Motorcycles" would need to find alternative parking nearby. One option very near is North Beach Car Park.

This road restriction was put in place in 2005, at the request of the residents, specifically to prevent pick up trucks, vans or camper vans parking in this road. This restriction is now in force on a number of roads in the area.

I have also attached an extract of the Traffic Regulation Order which governs this restriction.

I would advise that at a recent adjudication with the Traffic Penalty Tribunal, it was noted that "The designation of a vehicle for vehicle excise licence purposes is quite a different legal provision and is relevant to the purchase of the vehicle excise licence and other uses, such as the differential tolls now applicable on the Dartford Crossing. The definition of a vehicle used in a traffic regulation order is one which the local authority may settle for themselves provided that the signs they use adequately convey the information as to the types of vehicles which are covered by the restriction."

The adjudication also notes " The sign which the Council displayed on this parking bay ... uses the image of a motorcar shown in Diagram 804.2 of the Traffic Signs Regulations & General Directions 2002 (TSRGD) which is described as indicating a 'parking place for motorcars'. The picture on the sign clearly envisages vehicles solely for the conveyance of passengers."

I hope this has clarifed the matter for you.

Miss K E Young
Senior Technical Officer Assistant

Parking Services
Dorset Highways
PO Box 7736
Dorchester
DT1 9GN

Telephone: 01305 228110

Email: parking@dorsetcc.gov.uk

Screen Shot 2015-03-10 at 16.31.59.jpg

There are a few of us with motorcycles on here, I suggest we go and make a nuisance of ourselves ;) I guess scooters would be banned as they are a different shape to the motorcycle shown in the picture

Back