Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California parking in Swanage Dorset! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Bournemouth roads have the same 'no camping/sleeping overnight' sign too. Although I never saw it policed, a number of folk did sleep in the vehicles overnight.

Alan
The problem with Swanage unlike other coastal resorts is they allow only "cars" to park on the seafront Sleeping/camping is rarely permitted anywhere in the UK, compare and contrast the situation in France and Germany were we are welcomed in so many places to camp overnight.

The problem with Swanage unlike other coastal resorts is they allow only "cars" to park on the seafront Sleeping/camping is rarely permitted anywhere in the UK, compare and contrast the situation in France and Germany were we are welcomed in so many places to camp overnight.
In Bristol it seems a blind eye is being turned to a lot of people who are living in converted vans on the street. There is a large community around a local cemetery apparently. The formal position is provided the vehicle is taxed, MOTed and insured then that is OK apparently.

Alan

It's a losing battle I fear...

As I said in a previous post, and others have noted too, there are plenty of alternative places to park up, either in Swanage itself, Kimmeridge Bay, Studland etc to name a few.

If I lived in Swanage no doubt I would have a different view, it can't be much fun having loads of 'Great Whites’ and campers parked up everywhere when you simply want to go into town to do your food shopping! That said, all visitors spend their well-earned in the town, so it helps the local economy.

Local councils are generally a law unto themselves, however they have to generate income from somewhere, sadly the odd camper/caravan/great white will spoil it for the majority and they will slap on the fees and restrictions to generate the extra cash.

Either way, I wouldn’t want to park on the seafront at Swanage anyway! The pavement between the road and the beach is less than a metre wide, so not only are you at the mercy of day trippers with their buggies, bikes, scooters, surf boards and goodness knows what else, all ready to scratch and dent your pride and joy (without a care in the world) :( you are constantly gawped at as you try and enjoy the view with your cuppa and chips!!

No thanks. Peace and quiet at Kimmeridge Bay for me, all. day. long. :thumb

Back