Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California parking in Swanage Dorset! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

The biggest gripe I have with Swanage parking is the dishonesty. We got a ticket and the timing on it would suggest the warden would have seen us and waited till we'd gone. His watching time would have started whilst we were still getting the grandchild suited up for the beach. The signage is similarly none too clear and designed to catch out casual parkers. We don't go to Swanage so much now which is a pity as I really like the place.

The biggest gripe I have with Swanage parking is the dishonesty. We got a ticket and the timing on it would suggest the warden would have seen us and waited till we'd gone. His watching time would have started whilst we were still getting the grandchild suited up for the beach. The signage is similarly none too clear and designed to catch out casual parkers. We don't go to Swanage so much now which is a pity as I really like the place.
I'm sorry you didn't see this topic prior to going there. This is why I started it as I was so infuriated with the ambiguous signage which is pure and simple designed to catch out unsuspecting motorists and raise money rather than prevent actual vehicles from parking there. I can take my California into any multistorey car park and park up with all other cars and pay normal rate. Sodding inconsistent and petty minded councils!

I think trying to battle it out with the Council and parking attendants ( I am being polite).
Is going to be a painful and probably unproductive experience.

Most villages towns etc have a local Chamber of Commerce which represent all the local businesses.
eg. Pubs,Cafes,Fish & Chip shops, Restaurants, Gift Shops and general stores etc.
They are usually trying all different ways of attracting more business to their town and businesses..

It may be worth finding out their contact details and let them know how they are discouraging our Cali Members. The Council will be more sympathetic to listening to the Local Chamber of Commerce and may make some exceptions. We must state our vehicles do not take more space than a large SUV for instance.
We must make it clear that we are not intending to camp but just use the Car Space like everyone else to visit the area and support local business.
If the Local Chamber of Commerce is able to gain any acceptance or leeway for our vehicles. We could then as a club draw up a standard letter to pop off to other Chambers of Commerce when necessary.
We only need one result from one council and then we could use that as a starting point for other Councils.

Disclaimer Its only an idea and may need modification. What do you think? I know our LCC are always seeking ideas to create more business. Especially with local shops losing to the malls and supermarkets. Maybe we could go down the line of a local area trialling the pilot project for a season.

I read this thread with interest as we have been visiting Swanage for many years and absolutely love it :)

Unfortunately it is a victim of if its own success and seems to get more popular (busy) each year! There are many places to park if you know the town fairly well, and we have often parked 'up top' overlooking the town and pier, great view!!

I completely understand the frustrations of fellow forum members regarding parking on the sea front in a 'camper' though, especially as most campers are no longer than the average estate car. There is nothing nicer than parking up there in the evening, side door open, watching the sea and the sun going down whilst having chips from the (excellent) chippy in the town and a cuppa :)

But... we stopped parking on the front during the day many years ago for several reasons. Being in any kind of camper, especially an air-cooled vintage one, seems to give all the day-trippers the sense that we are an exhibit to be gawked at, looked into, pointed at, photographed (whilst eating the said chips and drinking tea...) etc etc. Any admiration of our beloved campers is welcome, but it can get a bit tedious if you are simply trying to enjoy the view!

And don't even get me started about kids on bikes, scooters, buggies, buckets, spades, kites, umbrellas and wind breaks that continually bash the van, with not even an acknowledgement or apology :headbang :headbang :rage !!!

Theres no way once our Cali arrives I will be trying to park there on a busy sunny weekend thats for sure, it would be worse than parking in a supermarket car park!!

As mentioned, Kimmeridge Bay is absolutely lovely, so we usually go there if we fancy a bit of peace and quiet....

Kimmeridge Bay is certainly one of our favourites, particularly on a nice evening after work watching the sun set. Another place to consider is the top car park at Ringstead Bay, the lower pay car park does not allow camping vans. There is nothing there, just like Kimmeridge, in the way of shops, but our last visit found a bunch of hand-gliders and para-gliders use the slope in front of the car park as a take off and landing spot and it was rather spectacular in colour and interest.

I visited Swanage this year and left angry and disscusted by the discrimination over parking on the sea front.

I believe these parking tickets are unenforceable as there is no class that defines motorhomes as different to cars. However I wasn't issued with a ticket as I left the town and won't be returning after being made to feel so unwelcome!

Anyone who has been issued a ticket needs to check what the PCN code is and if this council is acting illegally...? I believe they are...

https://andystrangeway.wordpress.com/2016/02/13/sbc-commit-fraud-number-two/

Really the UK is total DROSS

I am English and was born there and still work there but OMG it's the pits

Am at my place in Portugal at the mo and here in the village there are at least 20 vans in the marked areas plus many in secluded spots by the river road and they are ALL welcomed.....as the expectation is that they will spend money....parking charges...?...zero here
Blame Thatcher. She turned us ALL into greedy capitalists, in one way or another.

Just to play Devils Avacado, this comes down to the traffic warden. He could've applied a touch of humanity and explained, "rools is rools" and told you not to be there in half an hour.

Instead he opted for the &rsehole option.
In his defence he probably has six days a week of abuse and as such, applies a zero tolerance approach from the start.

With regards to the author of the article in the local comic (link above), if he'd written in a similar context about a group of people of different religion or race he'd be looking for a job.

I hate parking charges with a passion but then we simply don't pay enough tax in this country to pay for everything we demand from local government.

We're happy to take house price inflation but we squeal like stuck pigs when we're on the end of someone else's racketeering.

As you quaintly put it sidepod "rools is rools" so any PCN issued must adhere to those rools or be taken to task over it.

Have you considered how the residents living there (enjoying inflated house prices) have managed to get their council to put such restrictions in place?

I was in Swanage recently, the whole front (near the pier) was filled with small camper vans and a couple of big ones. Many had their poptops up too. We didn't notice the signs or realise there was a restriction but we didn't even try to park on the front as it was jammed full with vans and cars. The fact so many were there suggests the signs aren't clear, that part allows vans or the rules are just plain ignored.

I can see the issue from both point of view I guess but I do think we have to be responsible as campervan owners and think about the locals our hosts when we travel and visit places.

The British do seem to have a unique trait of being the "Gerrof my land" types, even I can't deny I get annoyed when my neighbours park their flatbed across my front window. Maybe its a cultural thing?

We parked literally just above, in the car park by the pier, the view was still good and I could park where the risk of someone dinging my van was less.

I was in Swanage recently, the whole front (near the pier) was filled with small camper vans and a couple of big ones. Many had their poptops up too. We didn't notice the signs or realise there was a restriction but we didn't even try to park on the front as it was jammed full with vans and cars. The fact so many were there suggests the signs aren't clear, that part allows vans or the rules are just plain ignored.

I believe the section you're referring to is free parking and limited to 1hr parking with no return within 2hrs during April to September. I presume when you visited those restrictions were not in force? If that is the case it's obvious that anyone driving anything other than a car would park there, as it's free. The other end (beach front) has parking meters and very unclear signage indicating cars & motorcycles only, so people park within the marked lines, buy a ticket, then get a parking ticket slapped on by the parking wardens if your vehicle is anything other than a car....

I visited Swanage this year and left angry and disscusted by the discrimination over parking on the sea front.

I believe these parking tickets are unenforceable as there is no class that defines motorhomes as different to cars. However I wasn't issued with a ticket as I left the town and won't be returning after being made to feel so unwelcome!

Anyone who has been issued a ticket needs to check what the PCN code is and if this council is acting illegally...? I believe they are...

https://andystrangeway.wordpress.com/2016/02/13/sbc-commit-fraud-number-two/
My Cali for tax purposes is classed as a car, so I drive and treat it as a car

Blame Thatcher. She turned us ALL into greedy capitalists, in one way or another.
Don't mention Thatcher here I'm an ex miner, makes my blood boil to here Its, name

We should do a social media campaign on Twitter and all of us join in to flood their own Twitter and Facebook pages and also include national press to get behind the campaign to expose the small minded places like Swanage that penalises people who simply want to visit, enjoy the scenery and spend money - perhaps this forum could lobby the Government and target tourism!! All we need to do is start a Twitter account and away we go! I feel we should expose and punish and fight back!

I should have read this thread before I visited Swanage yesterday!

Swanage's loss, not mine.

My V5 states its a car so I would have ignored him & taken my chances of arguing it later.

If its clearly signed about a weight limit it would be a bit harder to argue but there are an awful lot of ordinary cars over 1.5 tonnes would be interesting to see how he decides how heavy a vehicle is.

Did you get any photos of the signage?

I would also have shown him the V5 that states it is a car and taken it on from there. Would've been an interesting conversation.

Screenshot 2018-02-14 07.26.18.png

Not very clear, but...

A picture of a "motorbike" and a picture of a "car".

And the words

Cars and M'cycles only within marked bays.

No camping, cooking, selling or overnight sleeping.

The difficulty is in Swanage Council's own definition of a car as being a vehicle not adapted or built for sleeping or cooking and the insistence that their own definition trumps a V5.

View attachment 29987

Not very clear, but...

A picture of a "motorbike" and a picture of a "car".

And the words

Cars and M'cycles only within marked bays.

No camping, cooking, selling or overnight sleeping.

The difficulty is in Swanage Council's own definition of a car as being a vehicle not adapted or built for sleeping or cooking and the insistence that their own definition trumps a V5.
I am sure a hot shot lawyer could take the council to cleaners at the high court but why bother when when the superior Studland and the Bournemouth/Poole sea fronts are available nearby.
I have always wondered why you cannot get a decent cup of coffee in Swanage, could it be connected to their hatred of campers?

Rather than be confrontational look at the locals perspective. If your sea front has a mass of great whites parked up for days how would you feel. Areas in some parts of North Scotland are starting to feel the same and unless some respect is shown I can see this restriction spreading. We as a group are a small percentage of motorcaravanning but suffer because of others. No easy answer but respect for locals has to be our first thought when parking in such areas. IMHO.

Last edited:
Rather than be confrontational look at the locals perspective. If your sea front has a mass of great whites parked up for days how would you feel. Areas in some parts of North Scotland are starting to feel the same and unless some respect is shown I can see this restriction spreading. We as a group are a small percentage of motorcaravanning but suffer because of others. No easy answer but respect for locals has to be our first thought when parking in such areas. IMHO.
Really depends on the problem. If it is really big motorhomes then make a Height Restriction - 2m, and no sleeping overnight, and/or limit parking to 6,8,10 hrs.
People don't tend to use Motorhomes as everyday vehicles but do use Campervans as dual purpose vehicles.

Really depends on the problem. If it is really big motorhomes then make a Height Restriction - 2m, and no sleeping overnight, and/or limit parking to 6,8,10 hrs.
People don't tend to use Motorhomes as everyday vehicles but do use Campervans as dual purpose vehicles.
True, but easier to make blanket restrictions and from my experience with councils that is the route they take. Some seem to forget that parking is becoming more and more restricted and off road parking in the likes of the North of Scotland can be controlled as there is no such thing as right to roam in a vehicle. I know a few land owners who have little tolerance to any parking on their lands. My point is some consideration when parking rarely if ever causes issue. The California is a true dual purpose but the numbers are miniscule compared to the T6 commercials so how to differentiate from them, although the great whites are easier. Who knows the future as motoring becomes even more restricted and controlled.

I live at the seaside & we had unrestricted parking, except for height barriers. Someone got a caravan & a Trotter's 3-wheel car into the local car park & stayed over last summer. Now all the local parking have a sign saying no overnight parking...gives the Council the powers to move people, I suppose. But basically one caravan owner has caused everyone to be restricted in future.

I am sure a hot shot lawyer could take the council to cleaners at the high court but why bother when when the superior Studland and the Bournemouth/Poole sea fronts are available nearby.
I have always wondered why you cannot get a decent cup of coffee in Swanage, could it be connected to their hatred of campers?
Bournemouth roads have the same 'no camping/sleeping overnight' sign too. Although I never saw it policed, a number of folk did sleep in the vehicles overnight.

Alan

Back