Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California parking in Swanage Dorset! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Exactly. Maybe you should check with Dorset Council?

Sorry to those wanting to avoid Swanage because of there seafront parking rules. At the end of the day not being able to park along the seafront would not stop me returning into Swanage I always park on the hill up to Durlston Head Country and walk down to the sea. but to be honest If I want to be close to the sea in that part of Dorset ,Kimmeridge is my top place to visit and ideal for the Cali.

"The definition of a vehicle used in a traffic regulation order is one which the local authority may settle for themselves provided that the signs they use adequately convey the information as to the types of vehicles which are covered by the restriction."

Thats an interesting one, the sign quite clearly shows a hatchback? does that mean an estate car is not allowed. What about a beach? if it isn't adapted for cooking does that count? what about a caravelle with the sleep pack thats adapted for sleeping? And as someone has already mentioned what about Range rovers, defenders etc from memory they are classed as "multi purpose vehicles" not as cars.

Did they send the complete traffic order? if so could you please post? the one I extracted from was dated 2009 is there a newer one?

Thanks

If I want to be close to the sea in that part of Dorset ,Kimmeridge is my top place to visit and ideal for the Cali.

Love Kimmeridge... The grass parking there is spot on for a seaside camper picnik, mind you it's a few years since I've been.

Wish I'd thought of it last week... only 15 mins from Swanage.

As requested:
image.jpg
image.jpg

That whole highlighted paragraph has changed from the 2009 document. How is anybody supposed to know what the definition of a motor car is in Swanage when their definition is different to that in the RTA.

Their definition of a motor car is not good enough - by the definition shown a combine harvester would be allowed to park, it has 4 wheels, its not a goods vehicle, its not a bus and isn't adapted for sleeping therefore it is a motor car!

I feel the need to send the lady an enquiry to see if my Combine will be ok parked there.

Reply from Dorset County Council.

I've informed them that they are now on a Banned List of Seaside Resorts . Their Loss I believe.
Doubt if it will worry them.

Dear Mr Woodsford

Thank you for your recent email querying the parking along Shore Road, Swanage.

I have attached a photograph of the sign that appears along Shore Road, Swanage, of which there are several in this road, which states 'Cars & M/cycles only within marked bays.' Unfortunately, your VW California SE does not fall within this category as it is classed as a campervan - it is not intended solely for the transportation of people and has been constructed or adapted for the purposes of sleeping and cooking - so you are not permitted to park in these particular bays.

Vehicles that do not fall into the category of "Cars and Motorcycles" would need to find alternative parking nearby. One option very near is North Beach Car Park.

This road restriction was put in place in 2005, at the request of the residents, specifically to prevent pick up trucks, vans or camper vans parking in this road. This restriction is now in force on a number of roads in the area.

I have also attached an extract of the Traffic Regulation Order which governs this restriction.

I would advise that at a recent adjudication with the Traffic Penalty Tribunal, it was noted that "The designation of a vehicle for vehicle excise licence purposes is quite a different legal provision and is relevant to the purchase of the vehicle excise licence and other uses, such as the differential tolls now applicable on the Dartford Crossing. The definition of a vehicle used in a traffic regulation order is one which the local authority may settle for themselves provided that the signs they use adequately convey the information as to the types of vehicles which are covered by the restriction."

The adjudication also notes " The sign which the Council displayed on this parking bay ... uses the image of a motorcar shown in Diagram 804.2 of the Traffic Signs Regulations & General Directions 2002 (TSRGD) which is described as indicating a 'parking place for motorcars'. The picture on the sign clearly envisages vehicles solely for the conveyance of passengers."

I hope this has clarifed the matter for you.

Miss K E Young
Senior Technical Officer Assistant

Parking Services
Dorset Highways
PO Box 7736
Dorchester
DT1 9GN

Telephone: 01305 228110

Email: parking@dorsetcc.gov.uk

View attachment 7319
Fair enough if that's their policy. However would it kill them to at least put a picture of a Motorhome with a red cross over the picture thus saying no Motorhomes? I tell you they slap scores of vehicles with parking tickets on a daily basis. Numerous drivers simply don't see the signs or take their literal meaning. :-/

There are a few of us with motorcycles on here, I suggest we go and make a nuisance of ourselves ;) I guess scooters would be banned as they are a different shape to the motorcycle shown in the picture

There are a few of us with motorcycles on here, I suggest we go and make a nuisance of ourselves ;) I guess scooters would be banned as they are a different shape to the motorcycle shown in the picture
Yes mate, I'm a biker I'm all for a mass ride out to their lol

Sorry to those wanting to avoid Swanage because of there seafront parking rules. At the end of the day not being able to park along the seafront would not stop me returning into Swanage I always park on the hill up to Durlston Head Country and walk down to the sea. but to be honest If I want to be close to the sea in that part of Dorset ,Kimmeridge is my top place to visit and ideal for the Cali.
I just like to park at the waters edge. I can in Bournemouth, Poole, Weymouth, Lulworth, Portland, Lymington, Calshot Spit, Southampton, Gosport, Southsea etc etc etc but not Swanage? It's not as if they have great shopping there or anything just great scenery. Love Kimmeridge but hate the tons of litter there in the stream flowing down to the sea and on the Jurassic shoreline but that's another gripe not for this thread.

The lady has responded that the taxation class is irrelevant when deciding what a car is, therefore the only other information I can use to decide what I am driving from the V5 document is the vehicle type. The log books for all 3 cars ( a cali, a mpv and a mini) that I can find all state "vehicle Category M1"
Looking on DVLC website as to the definition of an M1 vehicle:

Definition of vehicle categories
1. Extracted from 2007/46/EC as last amended by 385/2009)
Vehicle categories are defined according to the following classification: (Where reference is made to "maximum mass" in the following definitions, this means "technically permissible maximum laden mass" as specified in item 2.8 of Annex I of the above Directive.)

Category M: Motor vehicles with at least four wheels designed and constructed for the carriage of passengers.

• Category M1: Vehicles designed and constructed for the carriage of passengers and comprising no more than eight seats in addition to the driver's seat.

So as far as the EU is concerned all three vehicles are classed the same, other than under "taxation Class" the word CAR or MOTOR CAR does not exist, so how do you define what a car is? You look to the RTA as pasted before:

Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984

In this Act “motor car” means a mechanically propelled vehicle, not being a motor cycle or an invalid carriage, which is constructed itself to carry a load or passengers and of which the weight unladen—

(a)

if it is constructed solely for the carriage of passengers and their effects, is adapted to carry not more than 7 passengers exclusive of the driver, and is fitted with tyres of such type as may be specified in regulations made by the Secretary of State, does not exceed 3050 kilograms;

Looks like all three of my vehicles are Cars.

From, from the DOT publication Know your signs a blue P with a plate showing the same symbol of a car as in photo states with the words Motor Car below "
The above signs indicate free on-street parking places reserved at all times, with no time limit, for particular classes of vehicles."

The symbol would appear to recognised by DVLC/DVLA/Highway Code/ DOT as meaning cars can park there and I drive a car, so whats the problem Mr Traffic warden??

I understand the TRO was reworded as the previous "no Sleeping" was unenforceable because all the wardens clocked off at 6pm............

Yes mate, I'm a biker I'm all for a mass ride out to their lol
Would never have guessed from your avatar! Bit of a pity we have to make a choice between biking and Californating :(

Fair enough if that's their policy. However would it kill them to at least put a picture of a Motorhome with a red cross over the picture thus saying no Motorhomes?
Good point. If the restrictions are in response to local's concerns then ambiguous signage is counterproductive. The acid test is the number of other vehicles that they have ticketed.

I feel an Freedom of Information request on the number of Campervans they have ticketed coming on. This might demonstrate the signage is not sufficient.

Interestingly too the California has not "adapted", it was purpose built but there may be a little picky.

Controversially I do feel for the parking department (I do know someone who runs one in another council). They are responding to residents concerns and from the media coverage this is due to large vehicles affecting traffic flow and safety. The parking department have the blunt stick of restrictions to resolve it. That said is the owner of a Caravelle or Range Rover any less of a obstruction and yet would be fine?

Can someone put a Streetview link on so we can all have a gander at this spot? :)

Isn't the answer really that if you can't park in Swanage then you just go and park somewhere else?

Dead horses, unless they are immensly masochistic, do not respond well to being beaten.

Goodness Jennifer, how terribly philosophic... must be that last glass of wine ..... :oops:

Isn't the answer really that if you can't park in Swanage then you just go and park somewhere else?

Dead horses, unless they are immensly masochistic, do not respond well to being beaten.

Goodness Jennifer, how terribly philosophic... must be that last glass of wine ..... :oops:

Yeap Jen I think it is... personally I was having a "there but for the grace of god" moments. Would I have parked there I seen those signs and other campers nearby? Probably. Any no one likes feeling unwelcome do they?

Time for a glass of wine myself.

Kimmeridge is one of our favourite places to go of an evening to watch the sunset and have a spot of dinner - all very civilised :)

Hi
First posting for me . . . . and no I never expected to be discussing my local parking issues on this site!

I live right on the sea front at Swanage and feel very fortunate as it is a lovely place to live. But one blight of living in Swanage is parking and it has been for many years. In the Summer, Swanage population approx. triples and along with that one and sometimes two tourist cars per group/family descend upon the town. Weekends are doubly bad with a large influx of day trippers etc. Now this is great for the local economy (cafes and shops etc) but It puts a fair old strain on the general infrastructure (from GPs to the power grid - we lose power every summer as part of the town grid goes pop trying to boil all those kettles in the holiday flats! I joke not, we had 3 weeks on emergency generators last summer and don't get me started on trying to find parking - even as a resident we get little or no preference)
Up until recently, Shore road was v cheap and open to all parking. Then they introduced the current system. Why? I suggest two main reasons:
i) there were 'some' local complaints re motorhomes hogging the seafront, although it blocks no ones view as there are no houses immediately behind the parking. But some motorhomes are big and were spreading up to the road parallel to Shore Rd, where there are many residential homes. One can appreciate that for them having large vans/motorhome parked outside their front gate for most of the summer was not much fun.
ii) Like most councils, Dorset CC is cash strapped, and so any readily available cash-cow is there to be exploited.

As a resident, and a soon-to-be Cali owner (well that's my dream which I hope to fulfil in the v near future - like next month!) I can see arguments both ways re Shore road parking. As others have said, there are alternative parking options v close by. But equally, I feel that DCCs rules and signage need to be much clearer. I will try and contact my local DCC councillor (whoever they may be ?) to raise the issue.

Enough of all that hot air . . . now where's my cali brochure

x

Back