Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 194 37.2%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 80 15.3%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 248 47.5%

• Total voters
To replace the front fixed section of the roof they have to take off the raising section of the roof hence the new bellows which comes in the front repair "kit" The bellows are often damaged because of the way it is attached to the roof.
Why was the raising section of the roof not repainted at the same time?
Benfields should have notified VW of the corrosion so it could be done at the same time.
You will have to get the raising sectioj inspected to get back on the list for repair.
What year is your Cali?
Can you please fill in your details.

The front panel and the elevating section of the roof are treated as two separate entities, and if it hasn't been agreed on the initial inspection that both will be done, the Body Shop will usually only repair the one that they have raised a warranty claim for, but I thought it was now agreed practice that the Body Shop should inspect both to stop this situation arising where the vehicle has to make two separate visits.

Quite why Benfield's didn't stop as soon as I saw the state of the roof and quickly contacted VW is beyond me, because this is one of the worst cases of corrosion on the elevated section that I've ever seen. Have you in fact pulled the rubber off to see what's going on underneath that because that must be in a terrible state also?

I think some people are having the complete roof replaced rather than just a respray. I think looking at yours it is a candidate for a complete replacement. You will have to contact the dealer in the first instance, but then probably a call to customer services sent with a an emailed picture of the roof explaining what has happened because I don't think you really want to go to the back of the queue again.

We have recently discovered corrosion on the main roof only, our local dealer wants us to use their own body shop for the repair and not one of the four suggested, is that correct?

Yes that is correct, any VW approved body shop can repair the main (lifting) section of the roof.

So.... we should be having our roof fixed shortly by a newly appointed repairer after we were moved from another list....... not feeling very confident as apparently the new roofs they had received to repair our cali's are rippled and not fit for use....... it could take even longer than the two weeks promised and to top it off they are also saying 'oh not sure we can supply a cali' !!!!!!!! AAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH:mad::rage
Question: has anyone considered a class action for all the stress and incompetence over this roof issue.
It been false promises and outright lies for us since the beginning and reading these posts its most of us having an unnecessarily rough journeys.....your thoughts are welcome

Which company is this? We too have been moved to a new repairer, Claridges in Southport and I'm not yet sure whether to insist on being moved back to one of the original 4.

has anyone considered a class action

There's no such thing as a class action in the UK.............unfortunately.
If VW had pXssed the Americans about like this they would have the @rse sued off them.

The front panel and the elevating section of the roof are treated as two separate entities, and if it hasn't been agreed on the initial inspection that both will be done, the Body Shop will usually only repair the one that they have raised a warranty claim for, but I thought it was now agreed practice that the Body Shop should inspect both to stop this situation arising where the vehicle has to make two separate visits.

Quite why Benfield's didn't stop as soon as I saw the state of the roof and quickly contacted VW is beyond me, because this is one of the worst cases of corrosion on the elevated section that I've ever seen. Have you in fact pulled the rubber off to see what's going on underneath that because that must be in a terrible state also?

I think some people are having the complete roof replaced rather than just a respray. I think looking at yours it is a candidate for a complete replacement. You will have to contact the dealer in the first instance, but then probably a call to customer services sent with a an emailed picture of the roof explaining what has happened because I don't think you really want to go to the back of the queue again.

Thanks so far for the words of encouragement regarding this corrosion issue, but having just spoken to my VW Customer service manager, she informs me that having seen these pictures, and taken advice from Benfields/Lookers in Newcastle, that this is not a corrosion issue, but a paint defect that only has a 3 year warranty cover, and as such, mine will not be covered under the warranty!!
I'm awaiting an official letter that I've requested from them, stating this, and will post a copy of the reply on here, before contacting a solicitor. Words can not be submitted on this thread just what I am thinking!!!
I will also phone Benfields and speak to them, who are actually very accommodating, which leads me to believe, VW are manipulating the situation for there benefit, and throwing some doubt onto Benfields findings

So.... we should be having our roof fixed shortly by a newly appointed repairer after we were moved from another list....... not feeling very confident as apparently the new roofs they had received to repair our cali's are rippled and not fit for use....... it could take even longer than the two weeks promised and to top it off they are also saying 'oh not sure we can supply a cali' !!!!!!!! AAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH:mad::rage
Question: has anyone considered a class action for all the stress and incompetence over this roof issue.
It been false promises and outright lies for us since the beginning and reading these posts its most of us having an unnecessarily rough journeys.....your thoughts are welcome

Take a look at my posts regarding the "Hassle" I'm having, and I'll gladly go with the Class Action route

Thanks so far for the words of encouragement regarding this corrosion issue, but having just spoken to my VW Customer service manager, she informs me that having seen these pictures, and taken advice from Benfields/Lookers in Newcastle, that this is not a corrosion issue, but a paint defect that only has a 3 year warranty cover, and as such, mine will not be covered under the warranty!!
I'm awaiting an official letter that I've requested from them, stating this, and will post a copy of the reply on here, before contacting a solicitor. Words can not be submitted on this thread just what I am thinking!!!
I will also phone Benfields and speak to them, who are actually very accommodating, which leads me to believe, VW are manipulating the situation for there benefit, and throwing some doubt onto Benfields findings

New to the Forum but getting concerned re roof oxidisation issues as VW seem to be sitting on their hands rather than re- designing roof construction and materials. Could they not just use galvanised roof instead of aluminium? For such great engineers they seem to be failing with understanding problem solving and common sense. Change metals used and problem solved.

STECCA

As you may or may not know, we dealt with the roof corrosion issue when it first arose. We have correspondence from VW HQ dated 6 August 2014, which has previously been posted somewhere, and which is quoted in red below:

Following your most recent correspondence, we have again conducted a thorough review of the goodwill terms with our colleagues at Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles HQ in Hanover. As a result, I can now confirm that Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles will extend the terms of the goodwill to cover the entire roof panel. Any cases of roof corrosion to the main roof panel will now also be covered under our goodwill policy for up to six years.

This enhanced support is linked to the individual Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and is therefore transferable upon sale of the vehicle.

We will be notifying our Van Centres of this additional enhancement. I would ask that you encourage any of your members who may be affected by this issue to visit their nearest Van Centre so that their vehicle may be assessed”

To my mind, the white oxidisation which is clearly visible in your photographs can only be referred to as corrosion, not a mere paintwork issue.

In previous cases, evidence of bubbling paint work along the rubber seal was taken as proof of corrosion and qualified for the elevating roof to be resprayed. Yours, although in another area, has gone a stage further where the bubbling paint work has broken to reveal the corrosion underneath. I suggest that you remove the rubber seal and almost certainly you will find bubbling paint work underneath.

A separate observation is the fact that the Body Shop were prepared to remove the roof and replace the bellows over such damaged paint work. I think a few questions need to be asked about that!

Hi there

We recently dropped our 2013 Cali into Hadwins VW in Lindale, Cumbria for a service. Whilst there we made the garage aware of some paint bubbling to the front roof section. The garage tells me that they took photos and forwarded them to VW so that they may confirm the warranty repair.

Today I had a call from an independent body shop, Carcraft in Flookburgh, who tell me that they have been instructed by Hadwin VW to carry out the repair to our Cali and that they can do the work first week in May. They say it should take no more than 2 weeks and that the will not be able to provide a courtesy Cali!

Having read some of the above posts I am concerned take what is being offered is not the official, recognised repair. I'm going to contact Hadwins tomorrow for an explanation.

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice on this?

Apparently some new body shops have been trained up to carry out the Official Repair.
I would contact VWCS for verification. I doubt if you Dealership would know.

I had my main roof (edge) repair carried out at Flookburgh in 2014. They did a good job, one of the few to tape around the edge.
However, as far as the front panel is concerned it is normally only the specially selected shops that carry this out. As WG says, contact VWCS.

Just had an email from Claridges in Southport, asking us to confirm our need for the repair. Yes the one booked in during May with Lookers/Benfields in the Newcastle area. What is going on. No roofs, rippled roofs, damaged paintwork, new belows on corroded roofs. Tape, no tape...

Just had an email from Claridges in Southport, asking us to confirm our need for the repair. Yes the one booked in during May with Lookers/Benfields in the Newcastle area. What is going on. No roofs, rippled roofs, damaged paintwork, new belows on corroded roofs. Tape, no tape...

If there is a long list at Lookers then it makes sense to spread the work out to the newly appointed workshops after all that is why more workshops have been trained up to do the job.

Ok so we decided to ''drop in'' to the newly appointed body shop (poole accident repair) to see if we wanted to be moved back to the original 'queue' and we are sooo glad we did, we met the guys who will be doing the repair, the warranty manager took us for a tour into the body shop and we saw a cali currently undergoing treatment - very professional thorough and honest!!!! The cali was wrapped from top to bottom and all the removed parts were very well padded and wrapped. The newly painted roof looked great.
We will be having a courtesy cali whilst we are having toot-toot repaired on the 19th of next month so will have her back for the june meet -Just!. Apparently the courtesy cali is coming directly from VW HQ.
So to all of you out there still waiting, shout and ask uncomfortable questions and you will be fixed. :thumb

I've just spoken to VW - I have been talking to them and getting the corrosion the roof fixed for over 12 months...yes 12 months...I hadn't heard a thing since June 15, so chased up. I am now 107 in the queue with Heritage Westbury - is this a record or is this normal?

I would say fairly normal - I just reported ours forgot about it enjoyed the van to its full and when the call came so say booked in for 2 months time was happy to have it done. Never bothered phoning VW up appart for early on to confirm on a list.

These waiting times are rediculous and will contine until somebody kicks off big time and then all they do is bump you up the list leaving somebody else worse off.
Also remember when your 6 years is up no more repairs by Vw no matter what!
If you spot corrosion on a 3 year old Cali and wait 2 years for a repair and then that repair fails after 18 months, you're then outside the 6 year time limit and Vw WILL NOT repair it again!

Last edited:
Contacted VW Van centre Manchester and have cancelled the Southport appointment in june. Wires double crossed at VW. Major panic?

Hi, l looked at a 2012 Cali yesterday to buy (private sale) and noticed it has the dreaded corrosion on both the roof and the front section. The owner was genuinely oblivious of the problem. It also had small wear holes in the bellows just behind where the rear hinges cross. It's a good van apart the these issues. Question is should l buy and then report the roof problem or get the current owner to report it and get the repair agreed before buying? I am assuming that the bellows will be replaced with the roof in the process.....or would vw spot the bellows damage and expect me/ the current owner to pay for that?

Hi, l looked at a 2012 Cali yesterday to buy (private sale) and noticed it has the dreaded corrosion on both the roof and the front section. The owner was genuinely oblivious of the problem. It also had small wear holes in the bellows just behind where the rear hinges cross. It's a good van apart the these issues. Question is should l buy and then report the roof problem or get the current owner to report it and get the repair agreed before buying? I am assuming that the bellows will be replaced with the roof in the process.....or would vw spot the bellows damage and expect me/ the current owner to pay for that?
If accepted for Roof Repair then the Bellows is replaced. It is easier for VW to replace the bellows than carefully remove the old one and refit.
Personally, I would prefer to manage the roof repair myself and use the presence of roof corrosion etc: to haggle a price drop.

Well, another Cali with the dreaded roof corrosion. Been added to a list. Benfields in Newcastle?! We are based in Cheshire!