Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 195 37.3%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 80 15.3%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 248 47.4%

• Total voters
Re: trouble with paintwork above front window screen.

fordyski100 said:
Very ,very common fault which should have been made a factory recall in my opinion.
Mine is booked in for this to be rectified by VW in 2 weeks.
My main concern is will this be an ongoing fault and how do we stand after the repair and repaint has been carried out if it happens again?
Recals are only done on safety items, this is all manufacturers not just VW.
The fix they arecdoing in europe & look like are giong to do here is a little more involved than just repainting. Remains to be seen if it will prevent it from reoccuring. The repair should be covered br 12 year paint warranty.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2

Re: Blistering Paintwork Front Roof Pannel

They listed what was done on mine last week and it was one hell of a big job so even Cornwall has the message now!

Have to say, we've had a few issues with ours but Carrs (this dealership doesn't sell Calis) have been consistently good.

The 12 year thing is a massive relief; GOOD WORK!!

LATEST on paintwork issue above windscreen

I realise this issue has been covered in a number of threads, but here is the latest from my local VW dealer.

I have a June 2010 registered Cali. I took it into Sinclair VW Swansea early June this year about the paint issue on the top roof panel above the windscreen. Today I recieved a letter from them confirming that VW had approved the warranty repair and to call them to book a date for the work.

Having just called I've been told that as of yesterday (8th August 2013) VW have instructed dealers not to repair this issue at the moment as the current repair proceedure is being updated at the factory.

The dealer is now waiting until they hear from VW with an updated TPI (Technical Product Information) proceedure.

I have to say VW Swansea have been very professional about this, and they expect to call me back within 3 weeks once the new TPI is issued to book me in.

I hope this helps all those with this ongoing problem.

regards

Paul

Re: LATEST on paintwork issue above windscreen

Ditto from me. My van was due to go in tomorrow to Kirkcaldy but VW Customer Services have instructed all dealers to postpone repairs until the new authorised repair is in place be October.

When I spoke to Customer Services they said they are using this period to understand the scale of the issue and log all vans needing the repair. The suggestion that the repair will indeed be covered under the 12 year corrosion warranty.

Is there any evidence that this problem is affecting the manual roof of the Beach, or is it limited to the roof of the SE ?

Is there any further progress on the definitive "fix" ?

We had a call from VW Swansea on Fri saying there was no know official repair and that they were waiting for the TPI.

When we spoke before they were adamant the front panel would not have to come off and could be repaired in situ. The paint has flaked off beyond and underneath the leading edge!! How can they repair that in situ??! I have very little faith in any dealer... :headbang

This is shocking for a 50k van :eek:

I think vw are their own worst enemy and with bad dealerships outweighing the good this can't be good practice either ...they still treat the Cali as a van and its not ,but to be honest if it was a van it should still be treated the same as a car ...
Maybe of topic ,but what the hell ...lol :)

Manchester have put my Beach roof repair on hold along with at least one other while they wait for the TPI :thumb

Thanks to SusiBus and everyone else how has worked so hard on this.

Also if your roof was just sanded down and painted I'd be getting back in touch with your dealer to sort out the correct fix !

And here is another California owner who has had the Berghaus booked in for 3weeks to repair the blistering paint issues on both corners of the front panel above the windscreen . It was all booked for Monday 19th August and Today Tonbridge VW have emailed me to say they cannot carry out the repairs as originally advised as VW have instructed them that all paintwork issues regarding the roof panel are on hold until they advise us of the correct repair procedure.
If they are not replacing the front panel , then surely they are re painting and if this is the case won't it re occur ?
I urge all California owners reading this to check for blistering paintwork and if spotted contact your dealer ASAP so that VW realise the scale of this problem. :censor

This all sound quite positive and hopefully VW will now authorise a proper repair. :thumb

My roof was patched up a couple of weeks ago but I am not convinced that the problem will not come back. They just rubbed down the exterior and repainted.

I have been on VW Customer Services Case over this for months.

I just spoke to them and ......EUREKA......... they have a letter on file from the Gods stating that a case manager should be appointed to deal with each Vehicle and have acknowledged the problem. VW will be allowing selected bodyshops to perform a good repair once they are trained on how to do it.

So I am now logged and expect a response from a case manager in 48 hours.

At last.

I suggest that anyone else with concerns, or previous repairs not covered by a valid TPI, ( I think thats everyone as the TPI has not been issued yet), contacts VW Customer services and asks to be logged as having the problem.

A big thank you to SusiBus again.

rob

Just read this thread as I own a 2010 Cali that had this paint issue corrected last August (even then it took a week). I didn't know the issue was affecting other Calis and felt relieved to get it repaired in a VW paintshop. However, 12 months later the flaking paint is back. It looks identical to how it was before the previous repair. So I can conclusively say that the 'all we can do is repaint it' approach does not work.

There would be no delay in solving this issue if it were on a Golf !

I put surfboards on the roof last weekend, for the first time in a year and noticed the blistering paintwork. I was quite shocked at how bad it was, i also have it blistering in a couple of places on the fibreglass roof.

My 2010 is now out of warranty and was wondering if it will be covered. I guess it's best to contact VW commercial service, AGAIN. At least I have them on speed dial!

Your roof is not fibreglass it's aluminium :thumb

I think that they have resolved the issue full stop. I phoned my Dealer (Edinburgh Van Centre) today to collect my new Cali next week, and mentioned my warranty claim on my old one to be informed that the paint issue had been resolved on new vehicles, so it would appear the new preparation primer will resolve on new and existing, I'll monitor the new van and keep you up to speed. Old van was a 2011 DSG180 with 21000 mls, new van DSG180 4Motion.

Hi,
We have a 2008 Cali and are waiting for vw to contact us as per recent posts.
Will update when we have an outcome.

My 2012 DSG has just been done by SMG the forum sponsors. I really hope it won't need doing again.......

Yep, We too have blistering on our 2011 registered Cali Berghaus, Blue (immediately above the windscreen, fairly central). Actually it was purchased out of the showroom, so its only been on the road 18 months, since Feb 12. I will report the issue to the WV Commercial, in Dyce, Aberdeen where the vehicle was purchased. I will probably hold off requesting a fix until say its 2 year service. That way it seems they'll be clear about their repair procedures.

This problem is not just with vw or California's
I have a 13 plate T5 convention with a Reimo roof,it is covered in blisters.
Waitin for complete roof replacement,repaint is not a solution as it is gases forming between the gel layers that cause the blisters.

My van was also due to go in for repair next week. I contacted VW Customer Care yesterday to see what the current position was with the repair. I was advised that VW have now developed a full repair and technicians are currently being trained up. I was advised that it involves the replacement of the front roof section with a different one. I contacted the Swansway group in Crewe and they had not yet been updated about the new TPI. Therefore I have now put the work on hold until the full repair can be done. Just waiting for VW to contact me now.

mike holder said:
Waitin for complete roof replacement,repaint is not a solution as it is gases forming between the gel layers that cause the blisters.

That's not the problem we face with the California as the roof is aluminium and not fibreglass, ours is a problem of dissimilar metals not being adequately barrier isolated.

Mike, we have been looking at conversions quite seriously, especially having spoken to some of the main dealers. Will your T5 be covered under the VW warranty having had a sodding great hole cut in it ? We were told by one dealer that this was one of the best reasons not to buy a conversion , having said that everything else dealers have told us has proved to be wrong ?

Sadly some dealers are both misinformed and somewhat less than truthful. :headbang

The warranty on your vehicle remains intact. The situation is quite clear, if something fails and it's failure or fault is attributable to any unapproved modification then that item would not be covered.

For example having a sodding great hole in the roof is not going to void the warranty on a failed turbo charger.

Just checked our Cali. Small blister at front n/s edge of panel above windscreen. Just over 12 months old so does not say much about VW sorting issues on the Cali.
Think I'll let Listers know about it and hold off on getting the work done until later in the year. :cry:

Just found blisters on near side, having first service in two weeks, I'll report then.