Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 195 37.3%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 80 15.3%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 248 47.4%

• Total voters
Re: Roof paint issue thread?!

I'd be interested in how you get on. They had mine last week for a roof hinge issue, they then replaced the bellows after ripping them, they seem to have done a good job, they were very aware of the roof paint issue - hope it works out

Re: Blistering Paintwork Front Roof Pannel

Cleaned the van at the weekend. I have got the roof pox.
Its on the fornt drivers side corner of the roof and looks like its growing.
2011 RED 180.

rob

So my local dealer (Ridgeway Van Centre in Wantage) can't help, and has told me I need to take it to a VW approved bodyshop for assessment. Has anyone dealt with either Newbury or Enstone bodyshops and what was your experience of the customer relationship or quality of work?

Re: Roof paint issue thread?!

dmccarr1 said:
I'd be interested in how you get on. They had mine last week for a roof hinge issue, they then replaced the bellows after ripping them, they seem to have done a good job, they were very aware of the roof paint issue - hope it works out

Will let you know.

I had a nasty scrape sorted by the people they use, KJ Rule, and they did a great job. The fact they want it for at least a week suggests a "proper" repair rather than just a re-paint.

Spoke to VW Hereford Bodywork expert and they are removing front roof section lowering the black gutter sections on either side to improve drainage, respraying and then sealing the front section so that water and dirt cannot get in. They are also fitting a foil liner to the rear of the roof where the roof sits on the metal bodywork. I must admit I didn't quite understand that last part but it all sounded pretty comprehensive and was based on instruction from VW. It'll take four days to complete.

I have not read back through this topic yet to see how much this ties in with the Germany fix.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Newbury. Had bodywork done on a VW there. Sent it back to get the job done properly after the first attempt. Ridgeway Wantage, avoid like the plague, utter rubbish. Will chat to Cordwallis and see what they recommend.

Thanks Seb - appreciate it

I took mine in to Citygate VW - Little Chalfont this morning.

They took photos and measured paint depth in various areas. The report will go off to VW for approval. I am adcvise that it would take 5 days or so for approval.

They believed when it was approved it would be repaired as a goodwill gesture.

I'll update when I hear from them.

rob

Barryjm said:
Spoke to VW Hereford Bodywork expert and they are removing front roof section lowering the black gutter sections on either side to improve drainage, respraying and then sealing the front section so that water and dirt cannot get in. They are also fitting a foil liner to the rear of the roof where the roof sits on the metal bodywork. I must admit I didn't quite understand that last part but it all sounded pretty comprehensive and was based on instruction from VW. It'll take four days to complete.

I have not read back through this topic yet to see how much this ties in with the Germany fix.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I believe this sounds very like the repair they are doing in Germany. If so I hope this means VW UK are starting to do the German fix at last.

How would it be a goodwill gesture?

CannellWalker said:

How would it be a goodwill gesture?

Goodwill simply means they'll repair it but accept no responsibility and set no precedent.

I was adfvised yesterday that the repair has been approved by VW.
I have asked for a copy of the TPI before I let them do it.
I'll keep you posted.
rob

robo said:
I'll keep you posted.
rob

dumbo or memory lapse question - what's TPI?

ChrisandPenney52 said:
robo said:
I'll keep you posted.
rob

dumbo or memory lapse question - what's TPI?

Its the instructions on how to do the repair. technical procedure instruction or something like that.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2

Having seen this thread I started looking - blisters on first part of roof between windscreen and rising roof, just above drivers door. Also blister on sliding door just below rubbing strip. Have taken to my local VW dealer - Hawco in Inverness- who took photographs and they will advise. My Cali is only 15 months old, so want this sorted ASAP :help

First post on the forum. The Cali is my wife's, registered in August 2012.

Drivers side
gallery_30340_289_83212.jpg

Passenger side
gallery_30340_289_117195.jpg

Really not at all impressed with this type of defect after such a short time, hopefully it will be sorted out under warranty, but my previous experience of such things is that a dealerships idea of a good quality paintwork repair is not in the same league as mine!

Anyone had any dealings with JCT600 in York with this problem? That's where it was bought from.

I've just reported the issue and the garage immediately said that this was a common issue, based on a failure to seal the aluminium. Not the first they had dealt with. Due to go to the garage next week. Will let you know....

Should have added to my post, that the body shop manager showed me another Cali having work done on its roof! It is a 61 plate - also in Natural Grey. It is worse than mine and by his reaction wasn't the first. They had to completely dismantle the pop up roof :evil:

I have been sent the copy of a TPI (allegedly) to fix the corrosion.

However it made little sense. I challenged the Garage to explain further. They told me it was the TPI for a Phaeton which had aluminum doors and had similar corrosion problems ! Needless to say I was not happy that the TPI they sent me had nothing whatsoever to do with the California and only pertained to spraying paint on aluminium.

I'll be seeing the technician that performs the repair tomorrow for a blow by blow detailed explanation on how the repair is performed.

My observation is that the front 1/3 of the roof structure will need to come off as it appears to be one piece, this probably means the tent and internal trims including computer will also need to come off. I also beleive (due to my previous experiences with garages in general) that it will never go back the same.

I'll update after my meeting tomorrow.

rob

very dissappointed with this, 11 months old, owned from new and painted aluminium front roof panel is blistered in 4/5 locations, oxidisation of the aluminium from below. Its getting sorted under warranty, but surely VW need to design this problem out....it's not exactly a rare occurrence. I only noticed initially during washing with what I thought was a squashed fly above the windscreen, then on closer inspection noticed heavy blistering paintwork on the 2 front corners, just behind the gutter line. More than happy with the vehicle but the hassle factor of this leaves a sour taste and effectively without the vehicle for a week in peak time holidays...great!
just be wary that the work needs to be done with a limited timeframe from inspection by the vw garage, so the clock starts ticking for the repair once you've had the paintwork inspected....if you need for the summer months then I'd leave it till late august!

I met with the technician performing the repair. In summary it will be done as follows.

Nothing to be dismantled. The Roof stays as is and nothing is removed.

Remove the two small front sections of the awning rail to fuly expose the front panel.

Rub down the affected parts of the Aluminium panel and treat with layers of etching material and paint over the entire front panel to VW spec.

Replace the the two small front sections of the awning rail.

Job done.

I am happy with this method as nothing is going to be dismantled. If the panel was to be removed it would never be re-assembled using the tooling and jigs available at the factory. This can only be done in Germany.

VW customer services have assured me that if the problem comes back I can have the same again for the life of the bodywork warranty (12 years I think).

Should take a couple of days and they are loaning me a Polo for the duration.

So I am over being angry and disappointed. But cannot understand why VW have not fixed the problem in production.

I have had two repairs for blistering paintwork on my 2010 face lift California so far. the first repair was 12 months ago to bubbles appearing in the front corners of the roof panel. The second repair (last month), was for bubbling paintwork at the rear of the front roof panel where the rubber strip of the elevating roof meets the panel. Prior to washing my van today bubbling paintwork has occurred again on the front offside of the roof panel.

So with a heavy heart, tomorrow I call my dealer (VW Preston to start the ball rolling again). No complaints against my dealer who have followed VW advice to the letter.

:headbang :headbang :headbang

CaliforniaDAN said:
I have had two repairs for blistering paintwork on my 2010 face lift California so far. the first repair was 12 months ago to bubbles appearing in the front corners of the roof panel. The second repair (last month), was for bubbling paintwork at the rear of the front roof panel where the rubber strip of the elevating roof meets the panel. Prior to washing my van today bubbling paintwork has occurred again on the front offside of the roof panel.

So with a heavy heart, tomorrow I call my dealer (VW Preston to start the ball rolling again). No complaints against my dealer who have followed VW advice to the letter.

:headbang :headbang :headbang

You might be better off going to Manchester where they apparently fix it properly! Can't confirm this thou so look into it

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Has anybody any experience of getting this fault fixed by dealers in Scotland?
Or the very north of EnglandLand?
Feedback would be good.
:help
TIA

You might be better off going to Manchester where they apparently fix it properly! Can't confirm this thou so look into

Has anyone on the forum had the blistering repaired at the Manchester Van Centre and how satisfied were you? Was the repair carried out to the VW spec?