Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 193 37.3%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 78 15.1%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 247 47.7%

• Total voters
Yes, I am lucky again.
After a repair in 2015, the corrosion is back.IMG_20200128_123244.jpg
IMG_20200206_125107.jpg
I have an appointment pending for the recall 75A1.
Will keep you updated when done.

Our 2012 Cali is now awaiting a second slot for its second roof corrosion fix.

Ours was done about 3 years ago I think (posted on this thread). Paintwork is bubbling again on both the raising roof above the rubber seal, plus on the front panel above front seats. The mastic seal that they applied all around the fixed section above front seats is also peeling away. A pretty shoddy job.

I had to call my local dealer (who are crap at the best of times) to book in for a review due to me noting the corrosion again. When I eventually got the van booked in they then told me there was a recall on my can for corrosion, but no one had made any attempts to contact me - we have owned the van from new!

Dealer has recorded and advised we have up to a year to wait.

Last time they took the van away for the corrosion work they also damaged it!

got a photo today of the roof, think I’m going to have to contact the dealer again as concerned it may start to leak and don’t want other damage to our pride & joy.

50F1E203-67AD-4E5F-B0F5-1D6DFA98A750.jpeg

Last edited:
My California has undertaken the warranty roof repair on the elevating roof. Corrosion around the edge. The repair was poor! Goodness knows what they did but grey undercoat coloured paint was left showing around the edge of the seal in places. (And they created a very small dent on the edge of the roof!!)
Volkswagen Customer Services have concluded that a new roof seal will mask this paint as the old one has shrunk.
The Cali is booked in for this to happen.
How is the seal fitted! Is it in one continuous piece And slipped over the roof Or is it joined?
I really don’t want to find they’ve messed this up as well!

Any T5 owners who are due to get the roof recall done may want to have a look at my experience (with a T6) mentioned here before arranging to get your van taken away to a body shop. From various conversations I've had, it will get done faster and with fewer complications if you try to arrange it direct with a dealer that actually have a body shop. Otherwise all kinds of VW bureaucracy crops up!

My California has undertaken the warranty roof repair on the elevating roof. Corrosion around the edge. The repair was poor! Goodness knows what they did but grey undercoat coloured paint was left showing around the edge of the seal in places. (And they created a very small dent on the edge of the roof!!)
Volkswagen Customer Services have concluded that a new roof seal will mask this paint as the old one has shrunk.
The Cali is booked in for this to happen.
How is the seal fitted! Is it in one continuous piece And slipped over the roof Or is it joined?
I really don’t want to find they’ve messed this up as well!
Name and shame!
Are all car makers service as bad these days?
I've only had VW's since 2003, so have become rather used to poor service. Previously having had Mitsubishi and Toyotas 4×4's, Toyota service being really good.
Oh yes, one piece, slipped over and pushed on. D'ONT let them glue any replacement on!

Mine is due soon, over here in NL. From what I have heard, they do a good job. Anyone here who had it done in NL at Volkswagen Camper Centrum? @hotel california maybe? So far I have always been quite happy with them. But I get a bit anxious with them having to take the entire roof off, etc.

My 2014 California roof repair was done in October 2017 by VW Audi in Glasgow, a new seal was fitted and without my knowledge the VW repair method used was the one where they use an adhesive. I was annoyed at the time as it prevented any future inspection, but it is evident a fair bit of adhesive is used and providing it excludes the all water from the galvanic cell mix within the seal it may well be an effective remedy.

I have been keeping a very close watch on on my roof for any sign of bubbling outwith the seal but to date there is absolutely no sign of any issue.

Had they simply re painted and fitted the tape the water would still collect in the U shaped seal and the problem would not be resolved.

I understand some of the later repairs included application of sealant after taping to prevent water ingress.

VW Audi in Glasgow did an excellent job, roof was removed, it was spotless when I got it back.

@ThomasHJ , don't worry CCN will take good care of your Cali.
Allthough they putted the wrong color new canvas on mine after the repair :Nailbiting Rob let me go and sleep on it a few weeks to see if i liked it , in the end the blue colored canvas was changed again....

I was also worried and was thinking not to bring it in for the roof repair , but in the end it's a warrenty claim and if you do nothing it only gets worse .

Why aren't the seals stuck on when new, if it stops water ingress?

It seems crazy to me. It must be costing a fortune for all the warranty work but as they are still selling well they obviously couldnt care less. We have had three Calis and love them but ours has been in four times and still isnt right. After the way we have been treated and having had to actually pay for the work no way would we even consider another one. Now very overpriced and getting overcomplicated imo.

Why aren't the seals stuck on when new, if it stops water ingress?
You would need to ask VW that one, VW were obviously trying different methods at the time my van was done as some got the tape only. It would be interesting to know the effectiveness of the repair methods after 3 years but I suspect VW would not share that information.

Once the repair warranty is out on mine I am thinking about applying silicon to the top edge of the seal.

Recently got our van back from VW Campercentrum Amersfoort, the Netherlands. Although I am no expert, everything looks fine so far. So @hotel california was right ;-) Time will tell of course, but so far so good.

When we bought the Cali (a 2011 T5) second hand, we became the third owners. It is originally from Belgium. When we had a full check up at VW Campercentrum after having just bought it, they informed us that it could be scheduled for the roof corrosion repair at no cost to us. It was scheduled for many, many months later, but a while back we got a call saying we could bring it in earlier as some space in the schedule had cleared up. They held on to the van for a week, during which it was inspected, had the entire roof removed and was send to a paint shop, where the edges of the roof were resprayed. Transparent stickers were applied and the roof was placed back. As far as I know this is the procedure the van went through. It also seems like the rubber seal around the roof is new. The paint bubbling on the front panel (above the windscreen) were not part of the repair job. They kindly offered to do this as well at a cost of 500 euro's. We didn't.

In the proces the older canvas (2 windows that don't open) was torn and replaced by a newer T6-style canvas with a third window (front) that fully opens up. I knews this could happen and might have mentioned that I hoped this would happen. ;-) Because now more light gets into the van, we can easily move flies or mosquitos from the tent and also enjoy a lovely view when parked up somewhere nice. Not to mention the fact that the tent's nylon material seems sturdier and the problem of the sliding lid above the seats moving while driving is solved because the tents material is a bit thicker.

All in all I'm happy it was done and happy with the new tent and the service at VW Camper Centrum.

I’ve had the same repair undertaken on my pop up roof. The body shop company didn’t do a good job as the new paint( or anti corrosion) could be seen as seal didn‘t cover it. VW said fit a new seal which my local dealer did but seal was defective so new one ordered to be fitted in a few weeks. .
VW Customer Services have been very helpful.

I’m still waiting for mine. I informed them after the first VW California meet in 2013! I had a letter through but don’t seem to be able to contact the company!

I’m still waiting for mine. I informed them after the first VW California meet in 2013! I had a letter through but don’t seem to be able to contact the company!
Back in 2013 only 4 repair companies were being trained and authorised by VW Germany to carry out the roof repair. Which company were you assigned to?

Alan

Back in 2013 only 4 repair companies were being trained and authorised by VW Germany to carry out the roof repair.
I was informed of corrosion on my roof two weeks ago, and the main dealer told me there are now only two bodyshops authorised to carry out this work.

Just wanted to add some good news to the thread. Following advice I received a few weeks earlier about corrosion on the front panel of my van, I took the van into a body shop for repair. As far as I can tell, Witherspoons in Edinburgh did a great job. I've posted before and after photos of the repair. Total cost under 400 pounds.
View attachment 40815View attachment 40816 View attachment 40817View attachment 40818
Hi there, was it Witherspoon motor services in ravelston place? I’ve got the same issue on a 2010 Cali I’ve just purchased and live in Musselburgh so thought I’d try the same company if you had some success with them

I was informed of corrosion on my roof two weeks ago, and the main dealer told me there are now only two bodyshops authorised to carry out this work.

Of the original 4 trained and authorised companies, I think only 2 still do the roof repair.

As our roof was done back in 2015 I am no longer up to date. However, I believe since VW changed the repair process by using the cap method, other body shops are now available.

Alan

Mine is scheduled on the 21st of august. I should have it back by 26 or 27 august.
We'll see what happens.

There are a few dealers that are allowed to do the repair in Belgium.
I'll keep you guys updated on the works.

Hi all, anyone had their roof repair done by Lookers North Shields via VW or have any reviews of them?

Without wading through 207 pages on this issue can anybody confirm if VW have now completely accepted liability for all aspects of roof corrosion and that it is a question of reporting the issue and VW effecting the repair.......or is it a case by case fight?

Would just like a simple yes or no so I know which route to take.... nice or nasty

Thank you

Without wading through 207 pages on this issue can anybody confirm if VW have now completely accepted liability for all aspects of roof corrosion and that it is a question of reporting the issue and VW effecting the repair.......or is it a case by case fight?

Would just like a simple yes or no so I know which route to take.... nice or nasty

Thank you
Yes BUT it depends on the age of your vehicle, 2010 onwards are covered, And whether it's the roof front cowl or the roof edge that requires repair. The current recall is form the edge of the roof around the rubber seal. Ask your dealer whether the front cowl is still covered if that's your issue.

Yes BUT it depends on the age of your vehicle, 2010 onwards are covered, AND whether it's the roof front cowl or the roof edge that requires repair. The current recall is for the edge of the roof around the rubber seal. Ask your dealer whether the front cowl is still covered if that's your issue.

Thank you
As I understand it, for T5s. All roof corrosion (Front cap and main roof) covered under a “special Roof only“ extended warranty up to 6 years. I think @SusiBus was the one who got the written acknowledgement of this cover.

As I understand it, for T5s. All roof corrosion (Front cap and main roof) covered under a “special Roof only“ extended warranty up to 6 years. I think @SusiBus was the one who got the written acknowledgement of this cover.
VW may extend beyond the 6 years, my 2010 Cali has been approved by VW to have the roof edge corrosion repaired after the recall for the roof seal corrosion check. The cowl corrosion was repaired by VW with the previous owner.

Back