Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 193 37.2%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 79 15.2%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 247 47.6%

• Total voters
Thanks @skipp-e and @Ozzy Pete. I won't be heading down the Motor Ombudsmen route then.

Thankfully I have good before and after photos, and I think the van centre are on my side.

Common theme in this thread. VW will nottake any responsibility for making a complete mess of your roof repair. Our roof never leaked before going in with corrosion. First time back and roof lining and floir absolutely soaked. Back to Claridges who claimed ""someone" had put the wrong sealer round the hydraulic pipes. Protests to the dealer, customer services hsd no effect and we had to pay Claridges £500 to get our property released. Then it leaked again after a few monrhs. This time they claimed "someone" had removed the dash and trapped the drain pipe. More arguments and again we had to pay another £300 to get our van back. Now given up with VW. Sealed the badly fitted cap myself with Sikaflex which so far (four years later) has done the trick.
My advice, keep your Cali well away from VWs rip off roof fix and pay a decent body shop a few quid to do it.
Love the Cali but no way would we buy another. IMO overpriced and over complicated nowadays with appalling service.

Just had an email from my dealer to say the Glasgow body shop that I was booked into for corrosion is no longer doing Californias. Hopefully the new body shop will be a bit closer, even in the same country!

Just had an email from my dealer to say the Glasgow body shop that I was booked into for corrosion is no longer doing Californias. Hopefully the new body shop will be a bit closer, even in the same country!
Because this problem has been going on for so long and costing VW a fortune they have been looking at ways of cutting costs which has had a knock on effect causing repair centres to refuse to take the work on. Also if there are secondary problems it’s the repair centre that has to foot the bill NOT VW.
Good luck with whoever you find to do the work.

Because this problem has been going on for so long and costing VW a fortune they have been looking at ways of cutting costs which has had a knock on effect causing repair centres to refuse to take the work on. Also if there are secondary problems it’s the repair centre that has to foot the bill NOT VW.
Good luck with whoever you find to do the work.
Agree, I doubt if there’s a big profit for the body shops especially if they (hopefully) recognise that the VW fixes are not that good. They are between a rock and a hard place!
I’m in no rush as my corrosion is barely visible and I am seriously considering not having a plastic cap fitted. I might just ask that the lifting roof tape job is done.

I'm amazed anyone is still considering this.
The cure seems so much worse than the disease.
Could we do a poll of who thinks any bodyshop work made things better or worse, long term?

Oh no! I am (was?) booked into Glasgow too. Thanks for the heads-up; I'll phone my dealer for an update.

Was it Glasgow Audi?

I'm amazed anyone is still considering this.
The cure seems so much worse than the disease.
Could we do a poll of who thinks any bodyshop work made things better or worse, long term?
I had Sinclairs in Gorseinon do mine about 3+ years ago. I was told that the procedure was to strip the paint off under the seal down to the bare metal. Then coat it with and Aluminium corrosion inhibitor. Then Glue a new seal on. I check this quite regularly and it seems to be all ok. I would say that if I couldn’t find a decent place to do the work or VW refused to do it I would hav a go myself. You can buy Genuine California room seals on EBay for around £80.

Oh no! I am (was?) booked into Glasgow too. Thanks for the heads-up; I'll phone my dealer for an update.

Was it Glasgow Audi?
All I was told just that it was Glasgow no other details.
I still can’t believe that it makes any sense to transport corroding vans from one end of the country to the other.

Update: I emailed the Head of Business at my main dealer to check the repair at Glasgow Audi was still going ahead. He emailed me back to confirm it is not, and said that he'd only found out in the last five minutes. A few minutes later I got a separate email from their Service department to say that they've just found out that Glasgow aren't doing the repair any more...

Anyway, I'm now waiting to hear whether they can find anywhere else to do it, and what the next move from VW is if not.

You could ask VW to contact Lookers North Shields as they did my elevating roof in October 2020 via the VW recall and did a great job ...

You could ask VW to contact Lookers North Shields as they did my elevating roof in October 2020 via the VW recall and did a great job ...
More and more repair shops are pulling out of doing these repairs as VW are asking far to much of them...

For the first time since I bought it, I have taken a careful look at the roof of my Cali w.r.t. corrosion. I wasn't as aware of the issue when I bought it as I am now and there were no visible signs at time of purchase although I didn't examine it in minute detail. The dealer did mention that a previous owner had discussed with him the likelihood of getting a high spec substitute vehicle if and when his was repaired.
Now appraised of symptoms and repair methods, I attach photographs of my roof. This seems to me to be evidence of a repair, what do others think?
As there is no evidence of corrosion, I have left well alone and not touched the rubber sealing strip. There have never been any leaks from the roof area in my ownership.
P3170288.JPG

P3170291.JPG
Evidence of filler?

P3170290.JPG
Filler and tape?

P3170292.JPG
Tape?

For the first time since I bought it, I have taken a careful look at the roof of my Cali w.r.t. corrosion. I wasn't as aware of the issue when I bought it as I am now and there were no visible signs at time of purchase although I didn't examine it in minute detail. The dealer did mention that a previous owner had discussed with him the likelihood of getting a high spec substitute vehicle if and when his was repaired.
Now appraised of symptoms and repair methods, I attach photographs of my roof. This seems to me to be evidence of a repair, what do others think?
As there is no evidence of corrosion, I have left well alone and not touched the rubber sealing strip. There have never been any leaks from the roof area in my ownership.
View attachment 90458

View attachment 90459
Evidence of filler?

View attachment 90460
Filler and tape?

View attachment 90461
Tape?
Is the rubber seal glued On in the main roof? If not then pull it off and look at the paintwork and see if there is any blistering.If it has been glued on its already been repaired. This is the method used on our van.

Our April 2015 T5.1 has gone in today to have corrosion above the windscreen sorted. While it's in I also want them to look at the rust which is present under the roof seal. So far they have not really committed either way - is there a specific VW issue number or reference I can give them to highlight this problem? I've tried searching through this gargantuan thread for some kind of internal comms notice etc. but my querying skills have failed me.

Letter from VW stating that T6 roof corrosion coverage is extension of the coverage offered on T5/T5.1.

Edit: link broken, I’m working on it

“As you are aware, all repairs relating to the front panel section of the California roof are covered by our paint warranty policy, not body protection warranty. While we recognise issues relating to roof corrosion, it is not as a result of through-corrosion of the aluminium panel. As such, repairs are covered by the three year paint warranty policy. In an effort to offer our customers peace of mind, we took the decision to offer an additional 3 years goodwill, extending the terms of the protection from three years to six.
Following your most recent correspondence, we have again conducted a thorough review of the goodwill terms with our colleagues at Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles HQ in Hannover. As a result, I can now confirm that Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles will extend the terms of the goodwill to cover the entire roof panel. Any cases of roof corrosion to the main roof panel will now also be covered under our good will policy for up to six years.
This enhanced support is linked to the individual Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and is therefore transferable upon sale of the vehicle.
We will be notifying our Van Centres of this additional enhancement. I would ask that you encourage any of your members who may be affected by this issue to visit their nearest Van Centre so that their vehicle may be assessed …………”

Last edited:
Our April 2015 T5.1 has gone in today to have corrosion above the windscreen sorted. While it's in I also want them to look at the rust which is present under the roof seal. So far they have not really committed either way - is there a specific VW issue number or reference I can give them to highlight this problem? I've tried searching through this gargantuan thread for some kind of internal comms notice etc. but my querying skills have failed me.
I presume you have had the recall specifically relating to the seal on the elevating section of the roof that is carried out by the Dealership. This is separate to the corrosion on the roof section above the windscreen.
Unless it is a VW owned Bodyshop they are unlikely to do any other work unless directed to do so by the VW Dealership or VWUK.

Letter from VW stating that T6 roof corrosion coverage is extension of the coverage offered on T5/T5.1.

Edit: link broken, I’m working on it

“As you are aware, all repairs relating to the front panel section of the California roof are covered by our paint warranty policy, not body protection warranty. While we recognise issues relating to roof corrosion, it is not as a result of through-corrosion of the aluminium panel. As such, repairs are covered by the three year paint warranty policy. In an effort to offer our customers peace of mind, we took the decision to offer an additional 3 years goodwill, extending the terms of the protection from three years to six.
Following your most recent correspondence, we have again conducted a thorough review of the goodwill terms with our colleagues at Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles HQ in Hannover. As a result, I can now confirm that Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles will extend the terms of the goodwill to cover the entire roof panel. Any cases of roof corrosion to the main roof panel will now also be covered under our good will policy for up to six years.
This enhanced support is linked to the individual Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and is therefore transferable upon sale of the vehicle.
We will be notifying our Van Centres of this additional enhancement. I would ask that you encourage any of your members who may be affected by this issue to visit their nearest Van Centre so that their vehicle may be assessed …………”
Hi
I have paint peeling off the end of the channels/indents on the main raising roof panel of my 2016 T6. VW have said as it is past 3 years it is not covered, but reading this makes me wonder if it is. Do you have a link or is it possible to post the whole letter please?

View attachment 90458

View attachment 90459
Evidence of filler?

View attachment 90460
Filler and tape?

View attachment 90461
Tape?
Hi, looks to me like you have plastic cap covering the whole front panel, same as ours which has been repaired. They basically cut out some of the original aluminium front panel and bonded a plastic cap over the whole area. That being the case just check from time to time that the ends of the cap aren’t coming loose. Many have come loose, ours included and had to be removed and re bonded by VW. Two years since ours was redone and it’s been fine since.

Here is the original letter from VW about roof corrosion, hoping I’ve attached the correct document lol.

So basically so long as roof corrosion was reported before vehicle was six years old you’re covered and once they do any repairs you get another three years cover on that repair. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• VW Roof Corrosion .pdf
    947.3 KB · Views: 28
Re: POLL: Roof Paintwork Issues

:eek: Out of 89 Calis inspected at COTF, 55 had roof corrosion, one of which was only 6 weeks old! I am too depressed to talk about it at the moment! Will post more information in the near future.

SUSIBUS
:cry:
Just discovered this thread because I have a number of spontaneous blisters on the roof panel immediately above the windscreen. Before I approach SMG Cowfold, I'd like to know what VW's response has been to this shockingly common problem. Is there a policy I can quote? Edit:. I was way back in the thread, before the letter attached above was written, so that partly answers my question.

The guy who sold me my 14-plate T5 SE TDI BMT in June 2017 was pretty good about showing me minor damage including bare metal where his VW bike rack had scratched away patches on the tailgate. He'd done some first aid with nail varnish, I did a poor job with a spray can! Could he have claimed on the bodywork warranty as it was a genuine VW rack (repeatedly taken on and off)?

Last edited:
Just discovered this thread because I have a number of spontaneous blisters on the roof panel immediately above the windscreen. Before I approach SMG Cowfold, I'd like to know what VW's response has been to this shockingly common problem. Is there a policy I can quote? Edit:. I was way back in the thread, before the letter attached above was written, so that partly answers my question.

The guy who sold me my 14-plate T5 SE TDIO BMT in June 2017 was pretty good about showing me minor damage including bare metal where his VW bike rack had scratched away patches on the tailgate. He'd done some first aid with nail varnish, I did a poor job with a spray can! Could he have claimed on the bodywork warranty as it was a genuine VW rack (repeatedly taken on and off)?
I wouldn’t imagine you will be able to claim now as it’s outside of the 3 + 3 years warranty period. Unless it’s been logged previously with VW and is waiting to be repaired.

The guy who sold me my 14-plate T5 SE TDIO BMT in June 2017 was pretty good about showing me minor damage including bare metal where his VW bike rack had scratched away patches on the tailgate. He'd done some first aid with nail varnish, I did a poor job with a spray can! Could he have claimed on the bodywork warranty as it was a genuine VW rack (repeatedly taken on and off)?
How bad are the roof blisters? My 2008 has many very small. 2mm across. Over the years they appear and disappear. Its important you realise this isn’t rust. It’s not corrosion.
The point I’m making is that many have found the ‘VW fix’ to be worse than the blisters. On the forum you’ll see many threads with pictures of messed up roofs.
I would be very wary of letting and VW body shop attempt a botched cure that 5 years later will be peeling worse than the original problem.

How bad are the roof blisters? My 2008 has many very small. 2mm across. Over the years they appear and disappear. Its important you realise this isn’t rust. It’s not corrosion.
The point I’m making is that many have found the ‘VW fix’ to be worse than the blisters. On the forum you’ll see many threads with pictures of messed up roofs.
I would be very wary of letting and VW body shop attempt a botched cure that 5 years later will be peeling worse than the original problem.
These are much bigger than yours, sadly...

Attachments

• Photos-001 Cali roof corrosion.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 38
Back