Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 183 37.0%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 74 14.9%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 238 48.1%

• Total voters
KGCali

KGCali

Retired and still young at heart!
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Don't let VW touch the blistering on the front cowl, if covered by warranty, which I doubt, they will cut out half of the cowl and then fit a plastic cap over the whole front cowl which can leak later so not worth it. Claridges did a good job for me on repairing the leaking roof cowl from the previous owners VW repair but if it was my option I'd just take it to an experienced aluminium body repair shop and just get the area treated, filled and resprayed correctly.sketch-1638534964765.png

ArunAlec

ArunAlec

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Don't let VW touch the blistering on the front cowl, if covered by warranty, which I doubt, they will cut out half of the cowl and then fit a plastic cap over the whole front cowl which can leak later so not worth it. Claridges did a good job for me on repairing the leaking roof cowl from the previous owners VW repair but if it was my option I'd just take it to an experienced aluminium body repair shop and just get the area treated, filled and resprayed correctly.View attachment 93490
Agree! Mines due for front and lifting roof warranty repair in December but I am 99% sure I will tell them to leave the front alone. If it does get to the state where the corrosion is noticeable I will get it sprayed by a classic car worksho, who should be more competent with ally repair

Lambeth Cali

Lambeth Cali

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
These are much bigger than yours, sadly...
Ah so they are on the cap not the roof. Clearly pretty big. There are multiple threads about fixing the cap. There seems to be different ways to fix that. I think there were some plastic caps etc. I would trawl the threads, try and contact someone who had theirs done and are happy with it a few years on. Then try and use the same bodyshop using the same method.

The bodyshops seem very hit and miss. There was a person on here recently who had trouble with their roof operating, with possibly a broken control panel and hydraulic pump. This problem appeared after they had had the cap 'fixed'. All the roof pumps, ecu and controls are under that cap. It seemed pretty likely that the roof fix broke the roof! There is a wiring loom and various electronics under there. It doesn't seem urgent, so I would take your time and consider travelling to the best place to fix it. Maybe something for after the summer!?

Poppins

Poppins

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Ah so they are on the cap not the roof. Clearly pretty big. There are multiple threads about fixing the cap. There seems to be different ways to fix that. I think there were some plastic caps etc. I would trawl the threads, try and contact someone who had theirs done and are happy with it a few years on. Then try and use the same bodyshop using the same method.

The bodyshops seem very hit and miss. There was a person on here recently who had trouble with their roof operating, with possibly a broken control panel and hydraulic pump. This problem appeared after they had had the cap 'fixed'. All the roof pumps, ecu and controls are under that cap. It seemed pretty likely that the roof fix broke the roof! There is a wiring loom and various electronics under there. It doesn't seem urgent, so I would take your time and consider travelling to the best place to fix it. Maybe something for after the summer!?
Sound advice, thanks! I will enjoy my summer, then look for a good bodyshop with experience of aluminium and VW Californias somewhere in the South East. I'm in Brighton. Anyone any recommendations?