Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 193 37.2%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 79 15.2%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 247 47.6%

• Total voters
Re: Blistering Paintwork Front Roof Pannel

It would be interesting to see if there is a pattern either in colour or year which vehicles are affected by this fault.

Don't know about colour but I do know, from info on caliboard.de, that the problem rums from 2004 to 2011 & they have a list of 103 Calis with the problem listed in a thread that runs to 93 pages !! Also appears to be happening on all colours. I don't think colour has any thing to do with the fault. Probably caused by bad prep when sprayed, or reaction between the aluminium panel & steel body shell.

I have a patch in driver's side corner and about 20cm along on 2010 facelift Cali.

Paint bubbling on roof

Just washed yet more bird muck off the roof and notice about a 1/2" diameter bubble of point on the front of the roof. I'll get it looked at but should I panic then cry? I clearly want the van when we're away in June!!

Re: Paint bubbling on roof

Same happened to me and had my repair done last september. So far all good no sign of any reappearance of bubbling.

Cheers Dan.

It's been photographed by Carrs but they can't fit it in for a month or so (too close to our month away!) so it'll be done when we return.

Hi, Was this Carrs at Indian Queens?
I need to take mine to have a bubble above the windscreen looked at. I don’t mind waiting, but want a dealer / paint shop that know what they are doing.
Carrs are closer thank Exeter for me, but would you recommend them from your experience this far?

Sorry but no, I dealt with VW Van Centre Preston lancashire. This entailed one visit to assess damage and take photos, then wait for authorisation form VW. After this I was informed it would take three days to complete the job but it was completed in two.

kernow said:
Hi, Was this Carrs at Indian Queens?
I need to take mine to have a bubble above the windscreen looked at. I don’t mind waiting, but want a dealer / paint shop that know what they are doing.
Carrs are closer thank Exeter for me, but would you recommend them from your experience this far?

Where are you out of interest?!

Carrs use KJ Rule in Nampean for bodywork. I went direct to them when the missus has an argument with a low wall and lost; very impressed.

But they have a big backlog. Hmmm; anyone fancy setting up a good body shop in Cornwall?!

We have had this happen too was told they had never seen it happen before...... Standard response I guess. Was just after 3 year warranty ran out but done under the longer body work one. Have just had the roof up for the first time since and noticed when putting back down it is slightly out of line with the rubber sea catching on the front drivers side - tucks back in with a touch of the finger. Its a pain getting back in to vw so was wondering if there is an easy adjustment as so slight?

Apparently the front section is alloy not steel. I suspect the pInt might not bond as well or it could be minor bi-metallic corrosion.

Cheers Andy. The thread has got me slightly worried; I wonder why they use alloy for that section?! Sounds like I need to be very cautious getting it repaired. Darn.

My degree is in materials engineering...!

Reading about how common this problem seems to be is really starting to put me off purchasing a Cali, I echo the sentiment that £40k + is a lot of money to spend to have these issues.

Does anyone know if VW are intending to rectify the cause of this problem at production stage or where I can try to find out?

Many thanks.

If I had known about this before I bought the van, I may well have walked away as it is symptomatic of a low quality environment. Mine has the bubbling - I was alerted by this forum to look for it. I have never had this on any car less than 10 years old before

Why don't you write to vw customer services along the lines of:

1. Interested in buying a Cali, but at £45k it is obviously a big decision
2. Aware that in Germany and the UK there is a widespread problem of paint bubbling on dozens of vehicles, even those below a year old
3. Speaking to owners, there is an inconsistent message about warranty coverage of this issue
4. Would like VW to tell you if the production failures have been fixed, and if not is there a date when they will have been. What has VW done about it?
5. Would like VW to tell you definitively what warranty coverage is for this matter. is it 3 years, is it 12 years, what happens if the corrosion comes back after a VW repair but outside of 3 years?

This issue is so appalling I am considering going to the automotive journalists with the story as VW might take it more seriously if its build quality was aired in front of the wider motoring community

This is obviously a recall issue and it would be far better for all concerned if VW fessed up and handled this with a coordinated programme of competent repairs. Aluminium is not easy to paint and I fear that a load of people who had early repairs or those at amateur night garages will end up needing further ones.

I can't understand why they use an alloy rather than steel. Bi-metallic corrosion is a well known issue (especially if you've ever run an alloy bodied, steel chassis Defender!); mine needs doing and I am also rather concerned.

gatvol said:
If I had known about this before I bought the van, I may well have walked away as it is symptomatic of a low quality environment. Mine has the bubbling - I was alerted by this forum to look for it. I have never had this on any car less than 10 years old before

2. Aware that in Germany and the UK there is a widespread problem of paint bubbling on dozens of vehicles, even those below a year old
3. Speaking to owners, there is an inconsistent message about warranty coverage of this issue
4. Would like VW to tell you if the production failures have been fixed, and if not is there a date when they will have been. What has VW done about it?
5. Would like VW to tell you definitively what warranty coverage is for this matter. is it 3 years, is it 12 years, what happens if the corrosion comes back after a VW repair but outside of 3 years?

This issue is so appalling I am considering going to the automotive journalists with the story as VW might take it more seriously if its build quality was aired in front of the wider motoring community

This is obviously a recall issue and it would be far better for all concerned if VW fessed up and handled this with a coordinated programme of competent repairs. Aluminium is not easy to paint and I fear that a load of people who had early repairs or those at amateur night garages will end up needing further ones.
Given the length of the anti corrosion warranty why would anyone go to a back street repairer?
I suspect it's made of Aluminium because the cost of the manufacturing tooling is lower than steel and the volume of vans don't justify full steel tooling.

I think recall is predominantly to cover safety related issues, rather tan bubbling paint on one panel.

Good luck with the journo's ! I am not entirely convinced you will get much traction

beardie said:
gatvol said:

Given the length of the anti corrosion warranty why would anyone go to a back street repairer?
I suspect it's made of Aluminium because the cost of the manufacturing tooling is lower than steel and the volume of vans don't justify full steel tooling.

I think recall is predominantly to cover safety related issues, rather tan bubbling paint on one panel.

Good luck with the journo's ! I am not entirely convinced you will get much traction

Agree that journos would be unlikely to cover it (guess what business we run...?!) but you'd be surprised at the strength of a good forum like this one.

Mine's blistering too. Just taken it in for assessment. Photos taken, now waiting for VW to confirm it's a warranty job - I hope so, the Cali's only 6 months old ;)

Andy

Mines got a small blister on the leading edge on my nat grey metallic dec 2010 facelift model.

Anyone want to coordinate a list of dealers that have successfully and unsuccessfully dealt with this issue. Not a name and shame but a factual list of the dealers who have successfully dealt with the fix and not damaged vans etc...

I'm near breeze Totton but their main camper sales are at breeze Poole. Anyone had their corrosion done there successfully?

I've used Breeze in Poole for warranty work and they've been excellent. I've not heard good things about Totten so drove further to get to Poole.

Stu

I hade some fantastic service attotton mechanically with my old t4. Not sure how clued up they are on the Cali. I was going to pop into Poole when I'm next in the purbecks to get them to have a look. I've been in before when looking for a Cali and they always seem to have one in the showroom and a number of s/ h for sale and vehicles being prepped for sale.

I have had this problem and had a respray by my VW garage, which so far has been successful. VW Germany tried for some time not to admit it was a manufacturing fault, much to the frustration of my garage! The manager undertaking the work tried to obtain advice and said VW 'were as useless as an ashtray on a motor bike!'
We will be at the CALI'S ON THE FARM and very happy to give any further information.Silver WJ07GHZ.
Peter

Just cleaned the van and lo and behold got the dreaded paint bubbles either side near the awning rails behind the plastic moulding.

Not very impressed only 12 months old. Didn't get it on my pre-facelift, though it was a known problem even then.

I'm amazed that VW even quibble whether it is a warranty issue, it seems to be getting even more common. Will take into garage to see what they say but due to go on hols for six weeks shortly with it, so will have to wait till I get back before it can go in.

Don't know how good the repairs are after time. As the bubbles are right on the edge of the panel, it will mean that the panel will have to come off for an effective repair.

Hubert

The places you describe are where mine was affected. I had the work done last september and so far no reoccurrence. The dealers (Preston) told me that VW will want to repaint first and if it re occurs then panel will be removed and repaired. They do re position the black plastic moulding (less than a millimetre away from the gutter) and also fill the gap between the panel and the roof and window with sealant. My Cali was away for 2 days when in for repairs.

Thanks Dan, after reading the horror stories from those that had the panel removed causing other problems (roof canvas tears, hydraulic lines leaking etc) I am not looking forward to seeing my Cali being hacked up. Hopefully a successful repair can be done in situ.

Hubert

Back