Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 193 37.2%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 79 15.2%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 247 47.6%

• Total voters
Re: Paint bubbling on roof

Just washed ours and as I suspected I'll have to throw my hat into the ring as well. :headbang :doh

Stu said:
Just washed ours and as I suspected I'll have to throw my hat into the ring as well. :headbang :doh

Me to :sad Service manager at Breeze was trying to take a pic of it last Thursday. I e-mailed him a better photo on Fri so he might not have even have contacted VW yet.

Mine is right in the middle of the front panel, just above the rear view mirror.

Would be interesting to see a poll on this issue as it seems to be getting more common not less.
VW really need to address this, it's being going on for years. Certainly won't be buying a third Cali unless it has been resolved. :sad

Hubert

POLL: Roof Paintwork Issues ( Blistering )

Consider it done Hubert :thumb

Due to the amount of people reporting this issue with bubbling/blisters appearing on the front panel of the roof section we have now set up a poll to see how severe this is.

You can also change your vote at any time.

Re: POLL: Roof Paintwork Issues

Just noticed that mine has this issue. It's appeared in one place on the driver's side, about 1 foot in from the edge. It's pretty disappointing.

So I need to get it fixed, and reading this it sounds like there's a fair number of horror stories about how the repair went. Has anyone had this work done at either the VW van centres in Ipswich or Bury St Edmunds?

Thanks
Dave

Just inspected my roof and found the dreaded bubbles on the front panel. This Cali is only six weeks old so obviously the defect was there when it went through its final inspection. I'll contact the dealer next week after COTF.

Have Fun
Bob

HistoryBob said:
... found the dreaded bubbles on the front panel. This Cali is only six weeks old so obviously the defect was there when it went through its final inspection.
This is possibly the most shocking comment I've read in this whole sorry saga.

Mine is 11 months old and has 9.5k on the clock... not really what I expect for these sorts of issues.

I have a question on this... I've just noticed this problem, and I'm going to get it fixed, however it's happened at exactly the wrong time - just at the start of the summer season!

Is there any reason not to leave it until september/october time? i.e. is it an indication of further hidden damage, or is it just a cosmetic thing?

Thanks
Dave

I think it would be worth discussing with your dealer and VW UK to have it logged and just suggest that you want to use your van for the summer so if they insist on fixing it now they will have to get you another California to use.

Spotted same on mine at weekend. Tiny area on leading edge!

VW say there is no such thing as a common fault....! :crazy

Experience of some dealer bodyshops has got me thinking it may be less stressful getting it dome myself at a bodyshop I know and can trust.

Fortunately I must not have this issue on my roof, just no way ! :thumb .

Isn't the pop up roof made of alluminium?, if this is the case there is no subsequent rusting danger at least , only cosmetic issue.

Dave_T, I would definitely leave it till after the summer season. It wont do any harm, and to lose the van during the summer would be criminal.

Andresz said:

Isn't the pop up roof made of alluminium?, if this is the case there is no subsequent rusting danger at least , only cosmetic issue.
No rust, but salt does corrode aluminium

beardie said:
Andresz said:

No rust, but salt does corrode aluminium

Still better than if it was steal, and it is removable !
Always look at the bright side of live :upsidedown tyu-tyu tyu-tyu

Had a call from VW today, they are sorting the paintwork out under warranty - interestingly, there is a TPI for the "recognised" fault.

Andy

Sorry if I'm asking a silly question.... what's a TPI?

Technical Product Information.

BLISTERING ROOF PAINTWORK - SURVEY

Mike can't answer your question regards out of warranty roof work but i am a member of the in warranty roof respray club. I am currently also contributing on another forum re Failure of EGR valves and on the warranty issue I have just had a repeat failure of this valve which was originally replaced only 6 months/ 3000 miles ago under warranty and now and i'm 3 weeks out of warranty. In discussion with VW customer assist their take is any part repaired or replaced under warranty is only guaranteed for the life of the 3 year warranty so the repair cost of this new replacement is down to me but they have agreed to make a financial contribution in recognition of me being just out of warranty and at least the new replacement will now be covered for 2 years under their replacement parts agreement . The contact number i used for VW commercial customer care was 08007834909, give them a go and best of luck.

Re: BLISTERING ROOF PAINTWORK - SURVEY

VW Customer Services are correct. Any part replaced under warranty will only have warranty until the vehicle warranty expires, no additional warranty on individual parts replaced under warranty.

Cheers

slowcoach65 said:
Had a call from VW today, they are sorting the paintwork out under warranty - interestingly, there is a TPI for the "recognised" fault.

Andy

Anyone have a copy?

:help

I have posted the message below on Calis on the Farm Updates but in case you are not going, contact me with your experiences through the forum because we are taking this further with VW in the near future.

As time passes more owners of even very new Calis, as well as older ones, are now discovering the dreaded roof corrosion. I have been in discussions with VW Customer Care over a period of time and I think it would be a very good idea if we were to share our experiences at COTF this weekend. I really think it needs a combined effort from all owners affected if we are to get the warranty extended because if VW feel the current repair procedure is a permanent fix (which it should be) they should have no problem in including it in the 12 year warranty rather than the 3 year one.

Graham

:thanks

So we all HAVE to buy an insured extended warranty to cover things that shouldn't fail?

Very common EGR valve fault and this as well - since when were cars only supposed to last three years before they started costing silly money to fix?

I feel we need to club together on these two issues and get something sorted.

Happy to help if needed.

SusiBus said:
:help

I have posted the message below on Calis on the Farm Updates but in case you are not going, contact me with your experiences through the forum because we are taking this further with VW in the near future.

As time passes more owners of even very new Calis, as well as older ones, are now discovering the dreaded roof corrosion. I have been in discussions with VW Customer Care over a period of time and I think it would be a very good idea if we were to share our experiences at COTF this weekend. I really think it needs a combined effort from all owners affected if we are to get the warranty extended because if VW feel the current repair procedure is a permanent fix (which it should be) they should have no problem in including it in the 12 year warranty rather than the 3 year one.

Graham

:thanks

I won't be at COTF but run a communications company and can write fairly well and contact the right people. Had some good results many times - if I can help, shout. Also not happy about the common EGR valve issue - ours flashed up as faulty and was re-set but I can ONLY get it sorted if the light comes back on despite a proper RAC report. If it goes in Spain or France, I'll be wearing my finest angry hat.

You don't have to buy an extended warranty, but parts replaced under warranty do not get their own additional warranty after the main vehicle warranty has expired. Most if not all manufacturers will be the same.

cheers

Back