Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 194 37.2%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 80 15.4%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 247 47.4%

• Total voters
Stu said:
I think you may have misunderstood the problem Bart.

Please, please check yours and follow up with your local VW outlet, the cost of a repair if you have to pay yourself is eye watering.
Thanks, Stu! We have an appointment next week Friday at our dealer, we will raise the issue. But I have not heard or read about any warranty/goodwill actions here in NL...

Hi, all

Just had our 2012 California serviced and got Breeze VW in Poole to specifically examine the roof etc. No sign (phew!) of any corrosion but they are aware of the situation and have already referred other VW Californias to the national centres for remedial work.

I keep on being sent emails asking me to submit my answers to the corrosion survey because I have not taken part. However there is no option in the survey to say that, at the moment, our vehicle has no evidence of any corrosion.Therefore I cannot submit a formal response. Can the survey be edited please so that there is a fourth option for "I have looked and at present there is no evidence of corrosion"??

Jonathan

I hope you are surprised!!

We have had a number of EU members who report favourable acceptance from VW, in some cases better than VW UK. So if you have it then you should push for some acceptance of your claim.

jhgf said:
Hi, all

Just had our 2012 California serviced and got Breeze VW in Poole to specifically examine the roof etc. No sign (phew!) of any corrosion but they are aware of the situation and have already referred other VW Californias to the national centres for remedial work.

Jonathan

Jonathan I'm afraid I don't share your optimism or relief!! In my opinion you would be better off if you found some corrosion and had it repaired. As you can see from a few posts previously we have just had a member report corrosion on a 2014 registered vehicle.

It's not a case of if it happens but when, so widespread is the problem.

I understand that you have taken the van to Breeze Poole which is the correct thing to do but for piece of mind if I were you I would inspect the elevating roof myself by pulling down the rubber on the edge of the roof - it really is quite easy to do.

I've had mine inspected and my claim register by Citygate in Wooburn Green (just south of High Wycombe) this was done by their very knowledgable and helpful Service Team Leader - Paul Simmons. He took photos of all the areas (including under the rubber roof seal) and submitted the claim giving me the DISS number in order to them call VW customer care and ensure it was submitted properly and progressed.
Thankfully I'm not planning on selling her (not ever!) and thus am happy to wait in the queue to get it rectified... i'm guessing it'll be a good 4 to 6 months wait to get done.

the biggest cause of delay seems to be the fact they need 3 bays of the workshop in order to do the job. thus it takes a heck of a lot of space in the bodywork shops to get the job done.

fingers crossed that when they get round to doing it, they do it carefully and properly, so that we can forget the inconvenience

I would not be relieved if I had no corrosion, because it is a case of not IF but WHEN it appears. I plan to keep my Cali for many years and I dont want it appearing on the day it is six years old.

Also I would not trust my dealer to look for the corrosion as my bubbles are tiny and I only found them by taking my time looking under the rubber seal with a magnifying glass

My advise to all you people who do not have corrosion is to spend a good hour looking at your entire roof in good light, if your eysight is not 100% get the wife to look at well.

I was also in denial but now I am in the queue and its a weight off my mind

Has anyone had the warranty repair carried out yet?
Our claim was accepted back at the beginning of April. Apart from a call from VW Customer Services to see if we had heard from an appointed repairer we have heard nothing at all.
Apparently one of the repairers should have contacted us within 1 month to give us an estimated date.
I'm sorry to say none of this inspires confidence.

Yes mine was completed last week.

I don't think you'd be able to say there have been more than 20 completed so far from what I hear.

Two main issues -

1) Only 4 people trained to carry out the repairs.
2) Shortage of new parts.

It is my understanding that one vehicle is taken by each approved repairer at a time, one is worked on and a second is also worked on in the time when drying time is required for the preceding one so it's a rolling process with 2 vans on site at any time.

This process is getting so drawn out. Had mine repaired twice before a good couple of years back but it kept re-occuring. This third claim has been in progress for well over a year. The third repair was started then pulled out as this became a more serious issue so for over a year i've had a half rubbed back / rough painted roof while we waited for VW. It's still authorised & as of mid March was put in line with Heritage to do the proper repair but apparently the parts to do the repair are on backorder??? REALLY???? So still waiting 5 months later & it's not been done.

If it's true the parts are not available then that's absolutely ridiculous on VW's side to go through this whole process & not even have the bits to fix it!

Really fed up with the whole thing!

+1

Checked my 2012 Cali and it has corrosion on the front edge of the elevating roof.

i have it booked in with my local dealer to investigate and to be added to the repair waiting list.

Here's the images of my 2012 Berg roof corrosion. I have suffered some frustrations getting it into the system for the full fix but others seem to have had far worse. The whole experience has me thinking about selling my van when its fixed. I'm convinced from the delays involved and comments from some of their own dealers that VW are nowhere near to admitting the full extent of this issue. [album]1684[/album][album]1682[/album][album]1685[/album][album]1683[/album]

Has your claim been refused because you are outside of warranty? Yes. Car imported used to Norway from Germany in 2006.

Have you found corrosion since the previous email/survey back in June? No

Your claim should be approved/refused within a few days, how long have you been waiting? 1 week.

If you have dealt with VW Customer services about this matter? How was their understanding/response? The VW dealer took photos and sent the question to VW Norway, with negative answer for repair.

Images - We still want your images of roof corrosion please

I have not found any sign of roof corrosion on my California. But my car is a very special model, the "no limit" pilot series. They made only 222 cars, mine is #202 from 2007.

:hello Truls

quentin said:
I am being asked by mail over and over again to post something on this, not really relevant in my case because my California (which has the pop-up roof) is from 1994. Anyway for the record, there is no corrosion problem at all with the roof.

The email is generated and sent to all registered members of the forum without regard to the vehicle they own, if it does't affect you then please don't worry.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I wouldn't have looked otherwise. The corrosion appears to be just on the front panel (at the moment ) and largely under the seal.
The local VW dealer were helpful and the van was inspected and photographed at its first service a month or so ago.
I have been told that a response will come from VW but it may take a while to receive that.
I'm happy to wait knowing that I have officially logged it but will follow it up when we've finished our summer trips if I've not heard anything.
The blistering is hard to see but is obvious when you look for it.
The posts regarding what to expect in terms of replacement van etc when it is taken away have been helpful as well.
I can imagine its expensive to repair. The nearside panel of the van looks as though it has been keyed and the quote to repair this from the local VW body shop was £957 which is a very expensive scratch!
Peter Chapman
Norwich

Hello,

Thank you for the email, we are currently away on holiday but have checked the roof as soon as the email came through and we do have corrosion all under the rubber seal.

We will report this as soon as we get back to the UK next month.

180 DSG January 2014

Hi,

We have already had our corrosion repaired under warranty but, disappointingly, it has started to return in places. The van in now out of warranty. So the problem was not fixed, just patched up. Any advice welcome.

Cheers,

Jon

Hi all,

I do have small signs of corrosion in my T5 Cali , built in 2006.

Best N

jonjo said:
Hi,

We have already had our corrosion repaired under warranty but, disappointingly, it has started to return in places. The van in now out of warranty. So the problem was not fixed, just patched up. Any advice welcome.

Cheers,

Jon

You should register a claim with your local dealer.

Two things may apply, firstly is any repair carried out should be warranted and secondly VW are offering goodwill repairs to vehicles up to 6 years old. You don't say how old yours is.

nebenau said:
Hi all,

I do have small signs of corrosion in my T5 Cali , built in 2006.

Best N

I'm afraid you have a problem and a fight on your hands. There are a number of owners who have a vehicle over 6 years old which falls outside of the VW goodwill.

You should still go to your dealer and make a claim but expect bad news I am afraid.

We will keep a note of your details as we have done with others in a similar position and once we have some news or direction will keep you informed. Equally please keep us posted on how you get on.

Sorry folks I had thought I replied to this thread. I'm currently away with work but will check thoroughly when I get home. But as my van Is only 8 months old I'd be very surprised.

Does any one have any issues with Vans less than a year? Or what is the youngest recorded case?

Thanks

Nathan

primrose said:
But as my van Is only 8 months old I'd be very surprised.

Does any one have any issues with Vans less than a year? Or what is the youngest recorded case?

Thanks

Nathan

We've had a 2014 registered van reported this morning!!

primrose said:
Sorry folks I had thought I replied to this thread. I'm currently away with work but will check thoroughly when I get home. But as my van Is only 8 months old I'd be very surprised.

Thanks

Nathan

Yes. My front panel ok (assumed factory modified build) but small patches of blistering under the rubber seal -just like every other California built in the last few years and including the ones coming of the production line right now. Of course VW say this isn't an issue... :headbang

As requested via email, I am now updating with my personal situation. My 4 year old California had its rusting roof front panel inspected by VW Breeze in Poole on 16th July. I was told a case had been filed and that photographs have been taken of the rusting area. I've not heard anything back since BUT I guess it's a little too early to expect any action right now. VW Breeze told me the vehicle will probably end up being taken to Bristol for repair as and when it's officially actioned by VW. There was no time given other than it should occur within the next 6 to 8 months. Once I have heard back from VW, I will update this thread. Cheers, Colin.

Back