Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 194 37.2%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 80 15.4%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 247 47.4%

• Total voters
Hi....I thought I had completed the survey already but clearly not as got a reminder email this morning! 10 reg van, corrosion on both parts discovered on looking but had to look carefully. Will raise with local van centre when back from vacation and keep you posted. Much appreciation for highlighting this issue

Southcoastcali said:
Hi....I thought I had completed the survey already but clearly not as got a reminder email this morning! 10 reg van, corrosion on both parts discovered on looking but had to look carefully. Will raise with local van centre when back from vacation and keep you posted. Much appreciation for highlighting this issue

Don't panic it's just a general email to everyone, not suggesting you hadn't completed the survey.

Hi, my California was purchased new in Jan 2014 but I don't know when it was actually built as I purchased it from the showroom rather than ordering in advance of purchase. There is no corrosion as of August. Its a 180.

Hello,

I have just found small amount of corrosion on front roof panel (above windscreen)

No claim made yet

Regards

Sidtowe

I've checked for corrosion and found evidence of corrosion above the windscreen.
Reported as such to VW manchester commercial vehicles months ago.
The staff there took their own images and told me that they have sent them to VW.
Not heard anything since.

Have enquired at VW Manchester and they said that one of the repair centres will contact me, it is now out of their hands.

I am becoming concerned as to whether my claim has been accepted or not.

Who should I contact?

or should I trust the process?

NB: My factory warranty finishes Sept 2nd.

The corrosion warranty which I believe the claim is against, runs for 12 years???

Tomcali said:
The corrosion warranty which I believe the claim is against, runs for 12 years???

Sadly not in this case.

The VW Commercial Anti Corrosion Warranty is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard in this case.

If you check the terms it's applicable to perforation from the inside. Not going to happen on an aluminium component.

I've not been on the forum recently but had contacted my local VW dealership re corrosion on the main roof as well as the severe blistering on the front panel. I am no expert on paint finishes!!! After three weeks with no response, I phoned VWCS and they have been in touch with my local VW body shop (not one of the four repair centres identified). I took it down and they have taken new images of the corrosion on both the front panel and also a small amount of blistering in the area of the seal on the rising roof, which VWCS asked them to take to forward on. My Cali was registered in March 2012. Seriously fed up with this - I'm about to vent my anger in a letter to VW!

Alerted by this club, I discovered a small amount of corrosion above the windscreen, and visited JCB/Eurovans Brighton on July 3rd. The chap in charge of warranty claims took photos and told me that I was a candidate for the repair, that it would be completed by AB Crush of Canterbury, and they would be in touch.

Since then I have heard nothing (I was told that it could take up to two months to be contacted). However I was concerned that the message about my van could have gone astray, so today phoned VW commercial vehicles customer care on 0800 783 4909. The lady there was lovely. She checked my registration and said I was indeed on the books as due a repair, and then she contacted AB Crush whilst I was on hold.

The upshot is that I should receive a letter from AB Crush Bodyworks at the end of August, and that my van will be called in next year.

It's all taking a long time, but at least I now know I am in the queue.

There is also a manufacturing fault with my canvas bellows. Apparently the canvas is replaced as part of this fix, so two birds killed with one stone.

I have just found corrosion

Regards brendan

reg septmber 12

Van is in the garage as we speak!

Just went in for a service, we had checked the roof and thought it was fine – but the garage have found the start of corrosion and have sent details to Customer Care.

I don't want to be tempting fate but on a recent check I have not found any evidence of corrosion either on the front panel or on the roof but will continue to check regularly. :eek:
My Cali SE was ordered in July 2013 and I took delivery on 21 October 2013. Legs and fingers crossed.!!! :thumb

Is anyone aware if there is a manufacture date or VIN after which the factory modification was completed?
Thanks
Norm.

Judging by the emails I have received this afternoon people are still only checking the front panel for corrosion.

You must also check under the entire rubber seal that goes around the elevating roof, this is very easily removed and refitted. You will need to look very closely as the bubbles do start quite small.

An order number was raised on 27 May this year by VW Leicester for the repair of the front roof panel of my March 2012 Cali, for the job to be done by Shorade at Cannock. I Rang Shorade this afternoon to check that I was on the list. Shorade confirmed that I was number 49 on their list and that they are currently repairing number 1 on their list. Very worryingly, however, they said that the company that was supplying the repair panels has gone bust, and they don't anticipate that they will be able to repair my Cali for at least 2 years, assuming VW are able to get a new parts supplier soon. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. I had to laugh 'cos the whole thing is just so ludicrous!!!!!

Hello,
Corrosion found today on roof panel corner on driver's side (2011 T5). My local VW repair shop (Belfast) says that this is the usual place where the corrosion arises.
Appt has been made to photograph the blister and submit claim to VW.
Regards
Cali 3630

normg said:
I don't want to be tempting fate but on a recent check I have not found any evidence of corrosion either on the front panel or on the roof but will continue to check regularly. :eek:
My Cali SE was ordered in July 2013 and I took delivery on 21 October 2013. Legs and fingers crossed.!!! :thumb

Is anyone aware if there is a manufacture date or VIN after which the factory modification was completed?
Thanks
Norm.

Mine is similar build date - front panel clear but suggest you look very carefully under the seal round the main roof panel - statistically you should expect to find some very small blisters at least. Looks like just uneven paint surface or even just the ingress dirt but chances are it is the beginning of the now infamous roof rot.
Worth looking very carefully.

VW say that July 2013 onwards should have modified front panel. This appears to be the case with mine.
However the main roof problem that should now perhaps be the focus for your attention isnt a problem according to VW who have adopted an ostrich mentality - so far.

Hi, Bought my 3 yo Cali a month ago having been alerted to the problem by this forum, so thanks for invaluable advice.

I was assured work was approved and scheduled with Newcastle Dealership. After initially denying any record I was contacted with copies of all the documation confirming the work was approved and I was in the que for completion. Still waiting a call to confirm date but all looks promising.

Just an update from my claim that was submitted about a year ago now. VW have agreed to the full repair of both my front panel and the main roof (whatever the fix for the roof will be!). VWCS contacted me at the start of July asking me if the repair had yet been carried out, which it hasn't. Apparently, it will be going to Shorade, Cannock for the repair. They told me Shorade have the parts and are preparing them so I should hear soon ... I'm still waiting.

At the moment it's not a major drama as I am using my van over the summer. I intend to start pushing on this from about October. Overall, since VW have accepted the claim I am less concerned as it doesn't detract from my use of the van and hopefully they may identify a proper fix for the main panel by the time they get around to my claim.

I think photos of my corrosion are further back in the thread somewhere.

Martin

We have just found corrosion on our pop top roof this afternoon by the rubber seal, it took a a while to find it but it is there in several places. it is only 6 months old :doh

The front panel appears to be OK

The claim was ok with in weeks
was told they have had a large back log to deal with .
as mine was not that bad they were repairing the worse ones first
they told me their were four trained centres nation wide just repairing
them.
I would get a phone call to arrange collection on a transporter and
they would leave me a curtersy car

I AM STILL WAITING

since i posted in june i've found some blisters on my main roof panel swell as the front panel which i knew about. i contacted vwcs and they gave me the number for breeze as they are my nearest dealer i live in jersey ,i've since sent an email and pictures to breeze and i'm waiting for a reply. vwcs said about a month to process the claim and that there was about a four month wait for the work to be done .we shall see

Back